Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun for beginner

shotgunone

I'm relatively new to the action shooting sports. It's been 30 years since I competed with a pistol. I'm currently shooting IDPA but I'd like to try some of the other games in town. I was thinking about USPSA Open and maybe some steel. I'm trying to feel my way along so not really wanting to jump off in a 3K custom gun. With my aging eye's the use of a red dot kind of appeals to me.

Would a EAA Tanfoglio Elite Witness Match be a good starting point for an open gun for someone new to trying the sport? I have a 9mm and they are relatively inexpensive and pretty dang accurate. I was thinking that adding a mount and red dot would be an easy way to get started.

Any opinions or idea's that I may need to consider? Good advise is always appreciated.

Thanks

Tony H.

Edited by shotgunone

Tony, I love the Tanfos but if you're looking to save money I don't think a Match is the way to go. There are a precious few gunsmiths willing to do this work for you.

If you want to do it just to walk the path less traveled I can commiserate :)

You can pick up a used 2011 for under $2K and you'd be hard pressed to turn your match into a decent Open gun with a big stick for that kind of money unless you want to do the work yourself.

The comp is the tough/expensive part ;)

I'm currently shooting IDPA but I'd like to try some of the other games in town. the use of a red dot kind of appeals to me.

Tony, what type gun are you using for IDPA?

Trying to save money would suggest to me that you first try USPSA

with whatever you're currently running.

See if you like USPSA, before buying a new gun.

As Atlas mentioned, you don't want to "just add a dot" to a gun and

enter OPEN - you also need a compensator and Hi-cap mags.

I'd at least try Production or Limited first, depending on what gun you

currently shoot - and see what you enjoy in USPSA (Much different

from IDPA).

Good luck with it. :cheers:

Currently shooting IDPA with a 9mm 1911. Located about an hour from Ft Worth and been shooting with club that shoots on the west side of DFW. They hold USPSA matches once a month but I just haven't been able to get off and get to one. With my schedule right now about all I can do is sqeeze in a couple of IDPA matches once a month.

Just trying to find a use for the Elite Match since it don't make the weight limit for IDPA. Of course the local guys said it didn't matter to them but if I ever shot upper level matches it would be a problem.

Y'all are probably right it would be a good idea to just shoot what i have for the moment and get a feel for USPSA.

Thanks for all the help.

Your 1911 fits very nicely into single stack division where the 9mm guns are allowed 10 rounds. Holsters are restricted in single stack so your current rig will likely work. The main difference is that you will want a minimum of 4 mags for each stage. 4 on the belt and one in the gun would be preferable.

Hey Tony - I made the jump to USPSA Open after about a year of IDPA SSP... it's a LOT of fun, but is a very very different game. I agree with the others - bring either your ESP rig, or your Tanfo to few matches and see if you like USPSA.

Open shooters will often let you put a few rounds through their guns. See if you can try some out before committing $2K (or more) converting your Tanfo, or on buying a used open gun. If you ever come down to Houston to shoot, let me know - happy to let you fire off a few rounds on my open gun.

One last thing - most Open gun setups will require reloading your own ammo. Many compensated pistols need ammunition that generates higher-than-normal levels of gas in order to cycle the slide.

-JP

compensated pistols need ammunition that generates higher-than-normal levels of gas in order to cycle the slide.

I hate to nitpick, since you made some good points, but the higher gas level

is not to cycle the slide, but to make the compensator work better (keep the

gun from "recoiling" and losing the sight picture as the gun rises).

OPEN is fast, and you need to be able to keep seeing the dot - don't want it to

bounce out of sight - so we use comps - and they need lots of gas. :cheers:

If u are trying to get in open cheaply, it will not be a good idea. I have a para 1911 that has 5 magazines and runs great. But is is in 38 super. If you interested in a good gun that will work out for a beginner, please let me know and I will give u price and pics.

Thanks guys for all the comments. And you fellow Texans (JPG and Light700) for offering to let me try a few rounds thru your guns. Maybe I'll get that opportunity some day.

My main goal lately has been working on avoiding procedurals in IDPA shoots. Several of the guys I shoot with shoot both and they tell me how USPSA is more of a run and gun type sport. I am to old and fat, to be too fast, so mostly I just want to have some fun shooting. So I'm looking at the different pistol sports out their that are close at hand and hope to get to try some of them.

Not going to buy anything new right now until I get to a few match and try them out with some of the guns I have.

Thanks again.

Tony H.

...My main goal lately has been working on avoiding procedurals in IDPA...

If this is your goal, shoot USPSA. ?

Haha - ok sorry I couldn't help myself - it was too easy :).

To be fair though, USPSA and IDPA are both 'run-and-gun' sports. Don't let other people's perceptions of USPSA deter you from trying it. While this sounds like advice you'd give a 3rd grader, people new to either IDPA or USPSA may not be aware of the deep dispassion that some shooters have for the other sport, and vice-versa. You don't have to be a track star to have fun in USPSA, just as you don't have to be from Seal Team 6 to have fun in IDPA.

Shoot them both - at this stage, more trigger time from either game will help you improve. Then you'll be able to pick what you like.

If it helps, here are some quick IDPA-to-USPSA division translations:

SSP - Production

ESP - Limited 10

CDP - Single Stack

Only own 3 total mags - Limited (load them up)

Edited by JPG

hate to nitpick, since you made some good points, but the higher gas levelis not to cycle the slide, but to make the compensator work better (keep thegun from "recoiling" and losing the sight picture as the gun rises).

True, Jack - I was typing while barely thinking. You are correct - gas runs the comp for sure.

Well not to not pick bit the additional gasses are to push a 9mm bullet to major velocity, the comp then uses these gasses to reduce recoil and flip. :D

...My main goal lately has been working on avoiding procedurals in IDPA...

If this is your goal, shoot USPSA.

Haha - ok sorry I couldn't help myself - it was too easy :).

I haven't read the rules on USPSA but I take it that they may be a little more "forgiving" than some of IDPA's. I have also learned to be careful as some guys are really into the sport and my wit and humor, as the new guy, is not always welcomed (if you know what I mean). :goof::goof:

I take it that they may be a little more "forgiving" than some of IDPA.

They are just different games. USPSA does not incorporate the 'tactical' style of IDPA - so there are no rules regarding cover, cover garments, dropping loaded magazines, target engagement rules, etc. However, calculating your scores in USPSA is more complicated.

I have also learned to be careful as some guys are really into the sport and my wit and humor, as the new guy, is not always welcomed (if you know what I mean)

Ha! Yeah, I totally get it. There are a lot of guys with strong opinions about their game of choice. I've shot both, and both are fun in different ways... but only USPSA has Open :cheers:

hard to go past a used 2011 like a STI trubor as a first open gun. I am a bit partial to the tanfoglios so wouldn't discount them either. used gold teams (the tanfoglo open model in the US) seem to go for very reasonable money.

I totally suggest going to some matches with what you have first. see what other guys use, try some of their guns and see what you enjoy playing with. :)

hard to go past a used 2011 like a STI trubor as a first open gun. I am a bit partial to the tanfoglios so wouldn't discount them either. used gold teams (the tanfoglo open model in the US) seem to go for very reasonable money.

I totally suggest going to some matches with what you have first. see what other guys use, try some of their guns and see what you enjoy playing with. :)

I am partial to Tanfos but I think for a factory open pistol the Gold Custom is great. You can get a gun and mags and dot for a relatively cheap amount in terms of an Open setup. I already want another;-)

Thanks for all the info. What caliber are most of you all shooting in open class especially in the Trubor's? I think they come in 9mm and 38 super, right?

Probably the best idea I keep hearing you all tell me is to go run what I have at some local matches before I spend lots of money on a new gun and red dot.

That's probably the smart thing to do. I just get that gun buying itch, too bad I have a champagne taste on a beer income. haha

Edited by shotgunone