Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build or Buy Upper?

apetrulis01

Ok, after narrowing down the barrel selection I have come to a cross roads; Build or Buy

Buy:

- JP Upper:

- 18"Light Contour barrel and everything else that comes with it (Low mass, etc)

Build:

- Barrel: Odin works or Nordic

- Gas Block: SLR adjustable

- Rail: Midwest Industries SS Gen 2

- Bolt: AP Rhino or JP

- Upper: Anderson

- Charging Handle: Raptor

- Comp: Miculek

Pros on buying would be JP experience and a warranty if something is wrong.

Negatives on buying would be it is more expensive.

Price to Build myself: Right at $1000

Price to buy JP: $1250

What do you guys think. Yes I have experience in building uppers.

Thanks,

Adam

BTDT. I built the last two with a JP barrel kit and they were both incredibly accurate rifles. If you have the few tools required to build, that is the way to go. Tons of tips on building on-line. Not rocket science. And when you are done, it's a good feeling having built your own.

Depends on what your After. If you want all Jp stuff then the JP. If you like the Midwest 2 handguard then build it. The Midwest and jp handguard will feel night and day difference in size and weight. For me, I would build as I get what I like not what's offered

Here is my .02 as someone who shoot with a factory gun then two different home builds.

If there is some feature or something that you really want, or must have, build it. If you are perfectly fine with running someone else's tried and true upper/gun that they have spent the time choosing what works best in combination...buy that.

The uppers you have listed have VAST differences that seem evident to me.

1: JP barrel in the JP upper is a much more expensive barrel than the Nordic (don't know about Odin)...that price difference alone makes up nearly 100% of the difference between building and buying.

2: Upgrade to Raptor CH on homebuild adds money to it.

3: Comp is $70 cheaper on the home build, and arguably less tuneable. I've had both and now gone to a Rolling Thunder that has a side port drilled and tuned. I bought the JP and thought it was top notch, I bought the Miculek comp because it was cheap and thought it was a great deal for the price.

4: JP handguard is MUCH larger in diameter than the MI Gen 2. For many people, the handguard "feel" is as important as anything. The JP's light contour barrel always seems offset with a heavier handguard when I've handled JP rifles.

IMO.....when you start to compare factory rifles/uppers versus building your own, if all things are equal you cannot build the upper cheaper than you could buy it. If you have something specific you want, areas you are willing to compromise, or areas where you can save money, then building starts really making sense.

Other things to remember, if you build your own, you need a vice, upper receiver vice block, torque wrench, and an ar multi tool. Those cost money, but once you buy them, you can build your own anytime you want. I built my last upper. Supreme satisfaction knowing why things work the way that they do

I like building stuff, but I think it saves time and headache to have one built knowing that accuracy is guaranteed and the item is worth something when I am ready to move on.

I have 7-8 rifles I have built with high end parts, but they just aren't worth anything so I lend those out to people, but wouldn't be worth selling.

I don't say the same about the lower assembly.

The only way a factory gun makes sence is if it's exactly what you want. Once you start modifying it and disassembling the upper is it really a factory gun anymore? I don't think for what we do with them that a built gun is worth less than a factory gun provided quality parts were used in it. For the average joe on the street they tend to want to buy a factory gun as it's usually a cheap gun they are getting and would trust a factory build over someone's "budget build" they threw together with the cheapest stuff possible. There are very few factory guns that we run right out of the box in this sport

I am in the same predicament. I would like to buy a JP rifle or upper. However I would possibly change the hand guard and gas block. I have a habit of buying and selling a lot of my guns. I would probably be better off with a factory gun just for the simple fact that resale is always better.

If you decide to do the build you might try using a Geissele Reaction rod in place of the upper receiver block. I've used both and the Geissele in my opinion is much better. You clamp the rod into your vice and then slide the receiver and the barrel over the rod. The splines on the rod slip into the barrel extention.