Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am sure that he will have to earn it. Angus, John, Pete, Matt, and the rest ain't gonna just lay back. I think Pete is going to give them all a run for the title.

TGO Limited and Limited 10

Too many to pick from on the open side.

Revo.............Bob Munden :P

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this just in, I heard a "solid rumor" that TJ and the Burner will shoot Open, both at the US Nats and the World Shoot. (source to be named later)

If they prepare properly, and it sounds like they are taking it SERIOUSLY, is there anyone, Eric included, who is SUPPOSED to beat them?

Not in my book.

jus so's I gets the credit for the breaking story, remember you hear dit here first.... B)

Eric has a new gun for this year's season. The aimpoint has gone and he is now running a C-more. The gun will be quicker to index with the reduction in weight.

Expect him to be even faster this year... Anyone will have to perform at 100% to beat Eric this year. Max could do it... Not sure about Jerry, he's been gone from the competition scene for a while, so I'm not sure what impact that could have. I'm not writing him off by any means, he has too much skill for that but in this game speed and reflexes are key and the younger they are the faster they get.

I know this thread has dwindled down - but I've started thinking it through some more.

Two reason really - one is the exceptionally sad passing of Steve Broom and two because the USPSA called me up regarding a slot and I said "send it - Ill decide later if I can go" which means I may fool myself into going Lim-10.

I believe that Lim-10 could be the biggest horse race of them all (certainly NOT because I may be shooting it)

I think about the fact that a good majority of shooters in limited will likely come over to Lim-10 for the second match. The targets will be tougher for the open shooters.

That says to me a high disaster factor with tough guns to shoot, lots of reloading and tough shots, combined with the exceptional talent of (possibly) TGO, Barnhart, Todd, Doug K, Phil Strader, Manny, Seeklander, Sevigny, Mink . . . good lord how many more do I need to name - how many more can you add?

Lim-10 could be the best match of them all!

JB

so sorry to hear about Steve..my condolences!!

here's my take: I'm coming from an obvious strengths perspective..

1. Open - Eric. He is way smoother than a lot of the other shooters, possibly the smoothest of them all, and smooth is fast. Max is quick and has been using that to get close. I expect Eric to come out a lot quicker this year whilst maintaining smoothness. If it doesn't work he will lose..to Max, JJ (dark horse) or Todd.

2. Limited/L10 - Rob. Rob's mastery of index shooting with a 1911 allows him to integrate and interact his focus and feel as the needs dictate. He has to make a mistake to lose..but then again it is when he makes a mistake that he transcends the constraints of humanity in his shooting.. nah, for him to lose he has to have a good match. :o TT is the shooter I see with the best fundamental development now(better than even Max but Max is fearless and tough) but not seeing the mental toughness..go for it TT, take the bull by the horn, don't wait for it to come to you, go get it!! go TT, go TT!!

3. Production - David. Mechanically with a Glock - no shooter close to him in the world!! He has matured mentality but it is not yet a strength and this is his Achilles' heel- that's where you're going to have to catch him. In Production, as opposed to Limited, he is way more self-assured.. it's gonna be another ass-whopping y'all!!

On Jerry: would be good to see him back. He will have nothing technical or mental on these guys but his level of tactical stage/scenario savvy is superior, you know the saying 'old broom knows the corners' (not saying Jerry is old).. but will he be sharp enough for his savvy to matter.. let's see.

• 2 months later...

I shot on Eric's squad this past weekend and watched him shoot 18 stages. He made one mistake, a bobbled reload. He is a match points machine, The Terminator of IPSC.

So, yeah, he's my pick for the nats (and world).

Is that the same Steve Broom that posted here on the forum. Condolences, sorry to hear about him.

Although Jerry hasn't shot a match in years, he won't show up to any match that he is not prepared for and give a close run to win it.

I think TT is right there at the door waiting to dethrone TGO, but he just has to get through the doorway.

The quiet confidence / determination I saw in Jerry was in a word...AWESOME. This guy hadn't shot a match in two years and KNEW he could win.

It was not a lack of respect for the top dogs, it was knowing (as he put it) that if he prepares, and reaches his goals in preparation, he SHOULD win. He really seemed to have it down to a science and was comfortable that while it would be work, he could do it.

If anything his mental game, at least his confident approach to it, is the toughest I have ever seen.

I think TGO has this too, but keeps it hidden a little more.

So many more choices, these days :) I saw Todd at the Nationals in '97, after his "Tiger" season. When that man is dialed in.... wow... Burner is awesome to see dialed in, too.

I have no idea how to go about picking anyone for anything, these days, but it would certainly seem that TGO is a good bet on anything involving iron sights. I suspect he doesn't even need sights anymore, but leaves them on the pistol as a formality. :lol:

For the new blood contenders here on the forum - just do it! The "top contenders" are human beings, too. You *can* beat them. Stay on your game - you can't play theirs. I'm rootin' for you guys!!! :D:D More fun to root for the underdog, anyway....

The issue with Rob is that he is so consistent and doesnt make many mistakes. For some odd reason, when he makes one of his few mistakes, the other shooter(s) he is competing with will do so also and most times worse than Rob did. Almost, karma or fate.

I've been thinking about that. Rob talked about getting ticked-off, then winning those stages.

I watched him shoot the next three stages (after the dark-house). He didn't seem ticked off to me. I didn't really see anything spectacular in his shooting on those stages. Maybe he just turned his focus up a notch?

Cool thing about how some people perform with frustration-induced anger, it breaks things down to their purest form since all distractions are forgotten, tunnel-vision like. In that state of mind it's easy to "..just shoot the freak'n targets!".

I've been thinking about that.  Rob talked about getting ticked-off, then winning those stages.

I watched him shoot the next three stages (after the dark-house).  He didn't seem ticked off to me.  I didn't really see anything spectacular in his shooting on those stages.  Maybe he just turned his focus up a notch?

What I thought was spectacular was after the dark-house, Rob was ticked-off. He stomped, flapped his arms, bitched and went off to himself for a few mins grumbling and talking to himself the whole time at the next stage at the cost of some prep time. Then he walked up, smiled and made small talk with the RO and just smoked the stage. He left it all behind...... or did he?

That may just be his way of dealing with stress. We all feel stress at a big match the the better you are the greater that degree of stress. Too much of that will impact any athelete's ability to perform, give the stress some outlet and the next performance (stage) should be better.

Some shooters are of such natural talent, that they perform better with stress..they can take it up to the another notch..just from the pure ability they already possess..

had one shooting buddy that could actually tell me he wanted to beat another shooters score and win a stage and do it at an area championship...

but he was of such ability that he could whip up at a club match shooting a gun with no sights and left handed... ( I'm not making this up)...gawd I am glad he got married and had kids... :D

Jerry walks thru a stage and looks at microscopic aiming points that he decides to shoot at. Then he programs these decisions until the rest of the stage, the rest of the match, the rest of the world just sort of don't matter - they aren't there.

When his name is called, he loads his gun, the timer goes *beep*, and Jerry takes absolutely fearless shots at all those tiny aiming zones. To watch him do it in person just takes your breath away.

The years he won both Nationals [96 and 99] he did well in Open, but both years he ran away from everyone in Limited. He had a different game than all of them. Don't bet against him.

TGO thrives on the scene, the angrier he gets the better he seems to shoot.

Almost to the effect of when he is having bad day he gets in someones face just so he can get pissed off and let it all hang out.

I have seen it several times.

Each to their own, controlling anger is I suppose a little like controlling.............