Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 147 grain FMJ bullet for my AccuShadow

Nemesis Lead

Hi Guys,

Is there a particular 147 grain FMJ/plated bullet that works well in AccuShadows? Are there particular 147 grain bullets that I should avoid?

One note--my lead levels are getting high and I have loaded/shot lead for years. I am not going to use any lead bullets.

Anyone have experience with Montana Gold 147s? I ask because I have $200 of certificates that I won at matches.

I hear the guns don't like certain profiles.

I'm currently working up a MG 147 load. Crono'd last weekend and was a little under Power Factor at 123.5 with 3.8gr of WSF. Added a few grains and will test again in the coming days. Hope to have it worked out and use in a match this Sunday. The group was about 2.5" at 20 yards for 10 shots. We'll see. btw - OAL is at 1.128

Have you tried any coated lead? They offer the same protection as plated/jacketed but at a much better cost. I currently use Blue Bullets in 125 for my Shadow and 180 for my Tactical Sport. I'm loading with titegroup and have almost no smoke, no grime in the barrel and no lead on my hands. Check them out.

Have you tried any coated lead? They offer the same protection as plated/jacketed but at a much better cost. I currently use Blue Bullets in 125 for my Shadow and 180 for my Tactical Sport. I'm loading with titegroup and have almost no smoke, no grime in the barrel and no lead on my hands. Check them out.

I'll second this. I've used Blue Bullets and Bayou. All the best benefits of lead and plated (less powder, no exposed lead, etc...).

An added benefit is shipping time. Xtreme (cheapest plated bullets I use regularly) can take 3 weeks to get an order to me, vs 3 days for Bayou or Blue Bullets.

I'll second this. I've used Blue Bullets and Bayou. All the best benefits of lead and plated (less powder, no exposed lead, etc...).

An added benefit is shipping time. Xtreme (cheapest plated bullets I use regularly) can take 3 weeks to get an order to me, vs 3 days for Bayou or Blue Bullets.

Ive had good results with blue bullets 147 flat point out of my glock 17 and my cz shadow

While that may be true, it is also true that it is a pain in the ass to screw around finding the amount of mouth flare and crimp tension needed to seat the cartridge cleanly in the chamber that also doesn't tear up the coating.

I have one more batch of coated bullets on its way. If I can't solve the smoking problem by the time I'm done with them, then I am well and truly done with them and will pay what I must to use plated bullets again.

I never had any trouble getting the press set up for coated bullets. I flare the cases just enough so the bullets will sit on them. I make sure the bullet is straight as it enters the seating die. I crimp just enough to remove the flare. Takes about 10 minutes to set up. Really no more of a pain than setting up the press for any other type of bullet. Once it's set forget about it and crank out the rounds.

Yes, I know how to setup dies. The problem lies in that one has to actually go shoot stuff to make sure the adjustments worked and the smoke/leading went away.

At this point I am considering returning the coated bullets I have on order and buying bulletworks plated which will cost me the exact same per thousand.

Sounds like over crimping. You can easily pull a loaded round to see if the coating has been cut. Which coated bullets are you using? The newer poly coated rounds hold up a lot better than the older moly coated stuff.

Yeah I to do the same thing. I started loading with MG and Xtreme plated. Once I switched to coated I to change over the crimp to avoid cutting the coating. I've been using coated for so long now it is second nature to crimp less.

BBI 147 with VV N320 - accurate and clean

(The powder/bullet combo does have a unique smell, so I have no idea what is being vaporized, the powder and some of the epoxy like coating?)

Oh, and just remembered, compared to RN, the BBI profile fed a little differently in Mr. Bulletfeeder, I had to adjust that a little to keep from getting upside down bullets in the feeder. But an easy adjustment.

Edited by trgt

I'm using new SNS coated. I don't have a 9 mm collet to pull them. I'll reset the die to crimp the bare minimum that will get me to a .380" case mouth after crimp going fwd, but I have 900 loaded rounds already.

I had the same problem at first with shaving. It takes a very minimal flare, and a little twist of the fingers while placing the bullet so it sits properly. Now that it is solved I can push about 800/hr on a 550 with a case feeder