Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EBAY bidders!!!

bucktim

I hate ebay bidders who bid when there is still 5, 4, 3, 2, and even 1 day before the auction even ends. Makes no sense, unless you like driving the price up. I always determine the highest amount I am willing to pay and then bid when there is like only 30 seconds left. Its called sniping :lol:

those people that are bidding early are probably their friends driving the price up.

While I know that happens, I'd disagree for the majority - I think its mostly just people who are either "marking" the auction for tracking by lowball bidding on it instead of adding it to their watchlist, or, its those rare individuals who think they can win a brand new XL650 for $100, and so they bid.... but no more. :rolleyes:

I also hate sniping, too. (But i do it!) ;)

I rarely even look at items that haven't switched from "days" to "hours".

I bid the max I want to spend anyway, so getting sniped is nothing to me as I wouldn't have bid higher if I had a weeks notice.

I figure the auction is open until the very end and see nothing wrong with sniping.

What I can't understand are the people who pay retail or higher for used stuff.

I sell on eBay and my buyers may bid anytime they damn' well please! An early bid reassures me that the item is effectively already sold. ;)

I consignment-sold an antique Japanese vase last night (buyer is in Hong Kong), and believe it or not the last two bidders sniped in during the last FEW SECONDS...! But... I had a fair and decent bidder for the item the second day out... so... it would've been a sale no matter what. B)

Different buyers have different reasons (and methods) for bidding. I just want them to BID--period. Doesn't much matter WHEN. I set up my auctions so they all end in concert and in a certain sequence at a certain time of day that's convenient for me (but still a viable time for the East Coast). And not all on the same day, necessarily, either--it all depends.

I'm with Erik. Work the system however you wish. That's what it's there for, to be worked! Kinda like a shooting stage, solve it your way.

In systems like this they have things called rules, not procedures. You determine your procedure within the rules.

--

Regards,

Yes, and by the way: I had two recent listings for sale where the buyers bid in the first 10 minutes of listing!! Now THAT kind of commitment I LIKE!!! I didn't have to worry about THOSE listings the whole week! (And they each had more than one bidder anyway... so... win-win...).

Everybody bidding at any auction these days seems like a moron. And it's all nickel and dime stuff that people bid a dollar on.

My personal favorite auction act of stupidity is bidding on one of a lot - say 1 out of a lot of 20 fountain pens. The bidding starts and the high bidder wins for choice for his/her desired fountain pen(s) out of the lot. Auctioneer calls out for any others to take their pick at the same price. THEN after the *choice* items are gone, the bidding resumes and the blithering morons in attendance bid MORE for the remaining less-desirable items (on a per item basis). Between that and watching people bid new money (or more!) on used computer equipment, I quit auctions altogether.

But I do LOVE selling stuff on ebay. My jaw hits the floor every time I do it. Bless the bidders' peapickin' little hearts.

OK, I just realized the PERFECT reason for bidding early. I am bidding on an item currently, and it ends while I will be off at our usual Thursday night IPSC league. Are you really saying I should skip shooting, and stay home to bid on an item on E-Bay. :wacko::blink::o I have my Priorities you know.

With a 15 minute rule, doesn't that just mean that the "snipers" will bid at 15min 30 sec to go?

No, gunbroker.com uses that format and is the only true auction format and be fair to the seller of the item being auctioned off.....if at anytime a bid is placed within the last 15 minutes of the auction ending time the auction gets held over for 15 minutes longer until no other bid is placed and 15 minutes expire.....that gives a true sense of a going once, going twice, sold to highest bidder like a normal auction would be handled.

OK, I just realized the PERFECT reason for bidding early. I am bidding on an item currently, and it ends while I will be off at our usual Thursday night IPSC league. Are you really saying I should skip shooting, and stay home to bid on an item on E-Bay. :wacko::blink::o I have my Priorities you know.

Laptop with cellular modem? You could be stats guy too..... :lol::lol: