Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 pro 5"

jstagn

Had several failure to extract issues. New round feeds up from mag and will not chamber because the just fired brass is still in the chamber. If I take the mag and round out and let the slide forward I cannot pull it back no matter how hard I try. SO I put a wood dowel down the barrel and with some pressure push the spent brass out and the slide back at the same time. The spent brass seems to be SLIGHTLY bulged at the bottom (glock bulge?) but since I use a dillion chamber checker on every round after reloading I don't know how this happens..Just started happening after at least 5k+ rounds. Happened twice in the last 200 rounds.??????

Id almost guarantee you arent sizing your brass far down enough, or you got some nasty doozies of an example of range brass. chamber check em if its for a match, youll catch them. Otherwise keep shooting them in practice and work on malf drills.

i re-read your post, you might have a bunch of crud behind your extractor; drip some gun solvent around the extractor, work it thru its range of motion a bunch of times, and blow it clean with compressed air. then do it with some oil til it comes out clean.

-Or remove the extractor and clean it up.

it is not a stuck round but a stuck empty brass. The slide comes back fine and tries to feed the new round but the empty brass is still in the chamber. If I lock the slide back and remove the mag and the new round it was trying to feed, I can see the empty brass in the chamber. If i let the slide go home to try and eject the empty, the slide (extractor) must lock onto the empty and I can't pull the slide back, so i use a dowel rod down the barrel and push the empty out, as the slide also goes back. The brass seems bulged at the bottom so it is tight in the chamber. Since I case gauge everything I am at a loss on what is happening. PF is 128 147 xtreme plated oal is 1.130-1.135. Over 5k+ rounds with this combo. no problems til now. As I said 2 in the last 200+ rounds. Gun shoots fine. Maybe I somehow missed case gauging some ammo, however, I can't remember a loaded round not passing the case gauge test anyhow.

Are you having the issues with the stock barrel? In my experience the stock barrel has a huge chamber. If a round fits a chamber checker then it should slide in and out of the stock barrel chamber. M&P's are duty guns with loose tolerances for reliability.

With the brass still in the barrel I am not sure how your slide is cycling to pick up another round. When I was having stuck cases in my storm lake barrel the round would fire, but the slide would not move. I would really have muscle it open or use a rod. Once I switched to a U-die and factory crimp die I have not had any issues.

How many rounds have been fired through the pistol? Would you be able to duplicate the issue and take some pictures for us?

I'd say before you start to really change anything up, to do like mike said and pull the extractor out and give it a good cleaning, as well as the slide where the extractor is. Then go test and see if it's still giving you issues. M&P's

Aside from that, it could be a number of things. Maybe those few rounds were loaded differently, your recoil spring could be going out, your extractor spring could be going out, your extractor might be going bad, as you said maybe you picked up some 9 major cases and they slipped through on your measuring stage. It could be a lot of things, but I'd suggest starting with the easiest stuff and moving forward from there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

double check your sizing die. it sounds like it may not be sizing all the way down.

Like flash said if this is the stock barrel then it shouldn't be a chamber issue. But if an aftermarket barrel like my storm lake the chamber is tighter than my case gauge, if that is the case the combo of an U sizing die and the factory crimp die solves the problem.

You didn't say if you've replaced the extractor or not. If you haven't I highly recommend the Apex Failure Proof Extractor. If you've gone 5k+ rounds on the stock extractor you did better than I. I was having the same failures after just a few hundred rounds but only with reloads using mixed brass. Factory new ammo was just fine. I think some brass had enough bevel that the factory extractor would slip off. The Apex extractor fixed it.

• 2 months later...

This same thing happened on my CZ 85 Combat a few years back. The sheer amount of crud stuck in that extractor was amazing, and was not really visible until I removed it. I never tried the compressed air, but regular cleaning with the extractor still in the gun did not get at it.

Not sure if everyone is missing something, you say while trying to clear,you let the slide go forward grab the empty case and then the slide is stuck?

There have been(I had one) issues with early production striker assemblies. Could these have been slam fires caused by the striker hitting the case too early? Sounds strange case that hard to get out with slide.

• 2 months later...

One thing to add...I was out with my daughter practicing with her M&P. I had some really light rounds for SC but standard setup in the M&P (standard springs, etc.). They would do the same thing, leave the empty case in the chamber and then try to chamber another round. I don't think this is your issue since your cases are getting stuck but just wanted to mention it since it's sort of related.

I bought a new gen M&P 9 pro that comes with the CORE backstraps last year. After a few hundred rounds at a match it started have failure to extract problems. I replaced the extractor with the Apex Tactical Failure Resistant Extractor and haven't had an issue since.