Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying jp low mass buffer

hysupra

If you take the spacers out of the J.P. light buffer you will have an A2 buffer without any weights in it! Rather than take apart an expensive part that folks would buy just gut a G.I. A2 buffer much cheaper and same end result. I wonder why J.P. wouldn't just run a gutted A2 buffer? Maybe because it needs the spacers??? Nah what do they know! :)

The LM JP buffer is rifle length. Pretty sure that Kurt was saying that you certainly could remove the guts of the JP buffer to further lighten it, but you would essentially be left with the same thing as if you removed all the guts from a standard A2 buffer less the sweet red anodizing. Must learn that Kurt oft speaks with a touch of sarcasm.

Edited by wgj3

My rifle has been running flawlessly since I glued the quarter onto the end of my spring. Super glue did not work, but a glob of silicone caulk is holding just fine! I am going to silver solder them together after I finish my extensive reliability testing. I decided that since low mass bot carriers are dangerous and will get you killed on the streets, the only way to safely reduce reciprocating mass while still maintaining battle ready reliability was to remove the buffer and replace it with a quarter. Thanks for the tip, it cycles soo much faster now, and my muzzle rise is super small as well. I should have done this years ago! If anyone else would like to order my ultra high reliability low mass buffer kit I will be selling it for $18.42 plus S&H.

I found that the single quarter could turn a bit and sometimes drag. What I found was to solder TWO quarters together with a nickel sandwiched in between, kind of like an hour glass, would eliminate the turn and run much smoother.....but that's just my 55 cents worth....a dime in between just felt opulent!

Too much humor is never enough. There are a lot of folks who take this stuff far too serious. The entertaining thing is that this discussion is not new, and that we will be having it again in 6 months or less. I am waiting for my favorite recurring discussion to come back around, the I got's to shoot me some heavy bullets or I can't hit no targets past 100 yards discussion. The why would any jack wagon want a barrel longer that 16" is back and going right now. If not for the sarcasm and occasionally witty reply the BEnos multi gun forum would have dried up and blew away long ago.

OK, this is my serious face, I wear it when I make a serious post....

If you want a lighter buffer you should give the Taccom a spin. It is cheaper than cutting up a JP reduced mass buffer, and pretty neat. Others have had good luck with them.

:)

I'm no engineer but I feel like the dead blow effect of the standard buffer is there for a reason, that's why I haven't emptied out my buffer yet. I want to try the taccom even against my better judgement. Should be worth my 30 bucks just to see.

The dead blow effect is there for full auto firing and is not needed in a semi auto. So goes the theory....

Mick

I'm no engineer but I feel like the dead blow effect of the standard buffer is there for a reason, that's why I haven't emptied out my buffer yet. I want to try the taccom even against my better judgement. Should be worth my 30 bucks just to see.

The dead blow effect is there for full auto firing and is not needed in a semi auto. So goes the theory....

Mick

Bingo Mick.......if the 'dead blow' of the buffer WAS needed for semi-auto......you'd see it on the Remmy 7400, the M1 Garand, Winchester 100, or any number of semi auto rifles and shotguns out there. The buffer....was developed for the M16....to help make sure the bolt would be closed before the hammer hit the firing pin. FYI.....the M16 is one of only a handful of closed bolt machine guns out there, but one of the highest cyclic rates for a closed bolt machine gun.....the AK, is another one, but the cyclic rate is sooooo slow that a dead blow buffer is not needed.

I was thinking of using a few washers they being lighter than a quarter and the hole in the middle venting any air pressure so I can also eliminate the "air spring" effect

Vented Lighweight Buffer replacement Disk maybe shorten it to VeLBR

might whistle a bit though

B)

I found that the single quarter could turn a bit and sometimes drag. What I found was to solder TWO quarters together with a nickel sandwiched in between, kind of like an hour glass, would eliminate the turn and run much smoother.....but that's just my 55 cents worth....a dime in between just felt opulent!

Opulent... can you take penicillin for that.?