Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Tactical Sport for Limited Mods

jc3257

I just ordered a new CZ Tactical Sport 40 S&W to use in USPSA Limited. What modifications and vendors do you recommend to get it ready? I know I can send it to CZ Custom and have them trick it out but would rather work on it myself. Here are some of my thoughts;

CZ Custom IPSC Magwell

Mag Extensions? Not sure what brand. Suggestions?

CZ Custom Thin Aluminum Grips, short to fit magwell

CZ Custom flat aluminum trigger

Are there larger safety levers?

Fiber Optic front sight. Is the CZ Custom adjustable rear worth the money?

Do I need to do anything to the firing pin, springs or any other internals? I didn't think it would be necessary as it already has a light trigger pull.

Thanks for the input!

what problems are you trying to solve?

I personally got czc mag extensions and spring kit, to solve the problem of only a 17 rd capacity (now it's 20-21).

I found the stock front sight to be too fat (.12" or so) , so I just replaced it with a .090 inch one I had laying around. I think I'll like that alot. I'm personally not all that enamored of adjustable sights after having one break at nationals last year.

Everything else works fine, although I would eventually like to get a big fat magwell. I don't really see the point of the aluminum trigger except as bling. I'm cheap, so instead of getting thinner grips I just sanded down the stock wood grips and put grip tape on them. Figured I'd run it that way for a while to see what I like.

Mag Extensions?....... http://czcustom.com/cztacticalsportextendedbasepadsilver.aspx Only ones I know of.

Are there larger safety levers?....http://czcustom.com/cztsextendedambisafetylhs.aspx

Fiber Optic front sight?.........http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000171A-1388518374

This one. Sight/CZ/Front/85 Combat/Opt/.215T/.090W/Patridge/Also Fits 75B Series/75Tactical Sport/Tools Included

**OUT OF STOCK OPTIC FRONT SIGHTS SHIP IN 1 TO 2 DAYS # 050-655-00

Do I need to do anything to the firing pin, springs or any other internals? NO

Make side you get the recommended CZC springs and followers for the extension. Otherwise you won't be adding much capacity. You can do as much or as little to this gun as you want.

I got the large magwell, mag basepads, followers, springs, sights, an aluminum trigger (not the straight one) and a comp hammer.

I really didn't need the new trigger or comp hammer.

I also picked up some used aluminum grips from here and cut them to size to fit the magwell.

Edited by alma

I put their extended safety on mine and it works great unless you pop it up when you reach for the mag release. LOL

I took the plastic mag well off and put full size VZ grips on it (I have big hands). I really don't see why I need the magwell on a doublestack the mags go in just fine.

I have a fiberoptic front sight from CZ Custom and the adjustable rear sight. It shot loose once probably because the set screws are only getting half a bite because of the big scallop from the original rear sight's set screw. I put some green Loctite on it and it should stay put now.

The internals and trigger need no improvement from what I see. It shoots great.

Grams also has springs and followers. I only get 20 with CZC basepads. CZC advertises 21 rounds with their springs and followers. Also there are Taylor Freelance basepads. Don't know much about them as I've never seen them. The factory triggers are good, so I look at the rest as personal preference or aesthetics (sights, grips, etc.).

Thanks for the input. Hope to pick it up next week. I plan on shooting a few hundred rounds through it stock to see what I might like to improve. I know I need to increase mag capacity and get some thinner grips for my small hands. After that we'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are even semi serious about Limited, the extensions and spring/followers are a must. Why shoot 17 rounders when another $50 gets you a 21 round mag. Lots of bullets and reloading where you want is fun.

Comp hammers are cool looking and clean up the tiny amount of creep that the stock triggers have. It may lower the pull a couple ounces but stock is below 2 pounds after it breaks in so I was never that worried about pull weight.

I have a gun with a stock trigger and one with a flat trigger and don't care for one more than another. A buddy of mine that has the smallest hands I have ever seen on a grown man likes the flat trigger gun better because the trigger is also a bit farther back.

Steel1212 is a GM thats shoots a TS and his sight setup is way different than mine. A lot of it comes down to personal preference and your eyesight. I run a Dawson .100 fiber front and a stock rear. I tried the adjustable and didn't like it because of the rear notch width.

I like the feel of the czechmate style magwell. I had the big magwell CZC makes and it was too deep IMO. You can't seat stock mags with it. I ended up cutting it down shorter and traded it off after I tried a czechmate magwell.

Edited by leas327

You'll learn to love the stock fixed rear sight once you start using it to rack the slide!

Oh yeah! I have been told by more than a few people that is the one of the reasons CZ went with that style of rear sight but I definitely don't know if that is true.

Got my new TS! Some parts on the way from CZ Custom; SS guide rod, mag extentions, springs & followers and extended safety lever. Not crazy about the front sight. Seems too wide. May have change to a FO front with factory rear. Need to change grips too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

You'll learn to love the stock fixed rear sight once you start using it to rack the slide!

Oh yeah! I have been told by more than a few people that is the one of the reasons CZ went with that style of rear sight but I definitely don't know if that is true.

I just got my TS - with stock springs - there is no way I can rack the slide with the rear sight. Even with the hammer back, it's brutally painful to do it like that. So far, the only method I see which is practical is the traditional pinching the slide - which is pretty slow considering how small the slide is. So far, this appears to be a major disadvantage for me.

Edited by ZombieHunter

I just got my TS - with stock springs - there is no way I can rack the slide with the rear sight. Even with the hammer back, it's brutally painful to do it like that. So far, the only method I see which is practical is the traditional pinching the slide - which is pretty slow considering how small the slide is. So far, this appears to be a major disadvantage for me.

I put a bunch of skate tape on the rear of my slide that helped a lot. I also bought a CZ TS slide racker that I had planned to have installed just in front of the rear sight. I have delayed those plans so if you want a sight racker just let me know.

Zombi Hunter, I'm relatively new to the TS (about 3000 rounds), but I can tell you it gets better with time. First, it seems your slide is as tight as mine was when I got the TS 40 from CZC. It was really tight and hard to rack. Even shooting full bore 180 ammo, the brass just dribbled out. I had ordered 13lb and 11lb springs with the gun, because I wanted to shoot both major and minor loads. I put the 13lb in an slide action became easier.

Racking the slide with the fixed sight hurts because of all the angles and sharp edges. I also think it is too high. I ordered a lower Dawson FO front sight and installed it. I then sanded the top of the rear sight down to match and recut the rear notch. Along the way I rounded the corners and beveled them, then reblued. It is quite comfortable to use as a racker now, especially since the slide loosened a little after the first 700-800 rounds. BTW, I very early went to the SS guide rod and that may have helped.

Have about 300 rounds through my new TS and sent it to a gunsmith to have the checkering removed and undercut the trigger guard. He is also installing the CZC extended safety. Need some grips, magwell, 13lb recoil spring and sights and it should be ready for USPSA Ltd. But first I'll need some practice!

• 4 weeks later...

What height front sight works well with the factory rear sight on a CZ Tactical Sport?

I am looking to get a dawson FO front.

This is the one I used on my TS. It's the same height as the factory front.

050-655-00 - Sight/CZ/Front/85 Combat/Opt/.215T/.090W/Patridge/Also Fits 75B Series/75Tactical Sport/Tools Included

• 3 weeks later...

:mellow:​ Thanks for the info. Quick question, isnt it that the stock CZ TS front sight height is 7.5, which is actually .295 in . The tallest dawson front sight tallest height available is a .240, that is 6.09 mm in height only. Wouldnt it change the Point of impact if Im still using the Stock reatr sight? With the stock rear and stock fron sight height, my POA and POI at 20 yrds is dead on. Im worried if I use a .215 height that youre recommending that it would change everything. Any thoughts? Thanks :mellow:

:mellow:​ Thanks for the info. Quick question, isnt it that the stock CZ TS front sight height is 7.5, which is actually .295 in . The tallest dawson front sight tallest height available is a .240, that is 6.09 mm in height only. Wouldnt it change the Point of impact if Im still using the Stock reatr sight? With the stock rear and stock fron sight height, my POA and POI at 20 yrds is dead on. Im worried if I use a .215 height that youre recommending that it would change everything. Any thoughts? Thanks :mellow:

CZ measures their sights from the top of the blade to the bottom of the sight. Dawson measures from the top of the sight to the top of the slide. The .215 Dawson works in my .40 guns.

Well, you're in luck as I happen to have the factory front from my .40 TS and a Dawson .215 sight in my parts bucket (recently switched to an adjustable rear).

The factory front sight actually measures 7.4 mm or .290" tall with my calipers (bottom of sight base to top of the blade).

The Dawson .215T sight measures 7.8 mm or .308" tall (again measuring bottom of sight base to top of the blade). The blade portion does in fact measure .215".

So, based on my measurements, I'd say a .195" tall Dawson sight is going to get you as close to your existing set-up as possible.

Registered just to thank you for your answers leas327 and tayler2you. I have my first CZ on order, a CZ 75 TS in .40. Am really glad of all the positive feedback about this gun and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Follow-up question in the Dawson FO FS. Has it been established whether the .195T or the .215T is the one that replaces the factory FS? Since I don't have the gun yet I'd like to order the correct one that measures exactly like the factory sight.

I have both sizes sights on two different TS 40 guns. The .215 works for me. I use the .195 gun as a dryfire piece and backup gun. It shoots about 1-2 inches lower at 20 yards than the .215 gun.

If anyone has a .215 and wants a .195, I will happily trade them and pay their shipping cost.

I have both sizes sights on two different TS 40 guns. The .215 works for me. I use the .195 gun as a dryfire piece and backup gun. It shoots about 1-2 inches lower at 20 yards than the .215 gun.

If anyone has a .215 and wants a .195, I will happily trade them and pay their shipping cost.

This illustrates a point. Geometry being what it is, a taller front sight will in most cases lead to impacting lower on target. In leas327's case, the shorter sight is impacting lower.

I say this to say that differences in hold (six-o-clock vs. center mass), sight alignment variances, and projectile weight can all have a greater impact on point of impact than a few thousandths of sight height.

I measured the factory sight on my .40 TS and the .215T Dawson very carefully and found the Dawson is nearly .018 taller than the factory unit. When I had the Dawson installed on my gun, it shot to point of aim (center mass hold) out to 10 yards, but was 1-2 inches low at 25 yards. This was with 165 gr projectiles.

So, if I were doing it all over again, I'd probably go with the .195T unit, but your case may be different based on all the other variables.

If you want to swap Leas327, send me a pm and we can work out the details.