Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best shotgun

93notch

Hey everyone i am looking to get a new shotgun for some 3 gun. I currently have a 930jm and it has done a good job except the bolt catch pin coming out twice. I am looking for some advise from you all. I dont have the 2k to drop on a nice m2 so i am looking at something either preloved or maybe new in the box, Just looking for an upgrade. Thanks.

We have built close to 100 of the M3000s since the first of the year, and I am aware of only 2 that have had issues of any kind. They seem to run very well. Pluses are fast cycling, easy loading, light weight, and Benelli reliability. Minuses are recoil ( Inertia guns have nothing to dampen the recoil impulse) and few aftermarket options. I let several people at the Ironman shoot my M3000 this year after their Mossbergs melted down, and all of them ended up selling the Mossys to buy Stoegers. Not trying to troll here, if you are mechanically inclined and have a few tools, you can do almost all the work yourself. There is a HUGE M3000 thread here on the forum, with very detailed instructions from a host of DIY types on home-brewed upgrades. You can easily hot-rod one to run with the M2 for about half the money. Mine has about 7,000 rounds through it now, and to date has had a TOTAL of 4 malfunctions in competition, all of which were ammunition related. Just stay away from Wallyworld Winchester ammo and Estate, keep your minimum loads above 1oz at 1200fps, and it will RUN.

Hey everyone i am looking to get a new shotgun for some 3 gun. I currently have a 930jm and it has done a good job except the bolt catch pin coming out twice. I am looking for some advise from you all. I dont have the 2k to drop on a nice m2 so i am looking at something either preloved or maybe new in the box, Just looking for an upgrade. Thanks.

I would not shy away from buying a used m2 or m1 Benelli. I have bought 2 used, a m1 and a vinci. It is real difficlult for most people to wreck a shotgun.

Many hunters will scuff them up and feel they are ruined. They dont put them through half of what we do. Shotguns can handle 10's of thousand of rounds.

Jay

Is the only selling point of the M3000 over a M2 cost?

I actually prefer the M3000 to the M2. They have a little less felt recoil, the LOP is easier to adjust and the shell catch is way better. I like versatility and thus want my 3gun shotguns to be good at clay games and even hunting. I personally feel that the extra few ounces of the M3000 makes it balance and swing better on birds. But that is purely preference. I like the M2, but have always felt that it was a little too light for my taste. I also like the longer hand guard and magazine tube of the M3000. Fits my long arms better than the M2 and requires a shorter extension. Shorter extension means no barrel clamp.

I actually prefer the M3000 to the M2. They have a little less felt recoil, the LOP is easier to adjust and the shell catch is way better. I like versatility and thus want my 3gun shotguns to be good at clay games and even hunting. I personally feel that the extra few ounces of the M3000 makes it balance and swing better on birds. But that is purely preference. I like the M2, but have always felt that it was a little too light for my taste. I also like the longer hand guard and magazine tube of the M3000. Fits my long arms better than the M2 and requires a shorter extension. Shorter extension means no barrel clamp.

I was surprised to find out that the Stoeger had a longer stock tube and handguard. With my reach that is a MAJOR plus. So far I've run all sorts of rounds, including Winchester Universal (WalMart) and the only failures have been mine. Mostly still learning to Quad load/Load Two and operation issues coming off 15 years shooting an 1187. They don't work exactly the same. Unloaded starts have been my biggest issue, have to remember to hit the release BEFORE racking the bolt

I was surprised to find out that the Stoeger had a longer stock tube and handguard. With my reach that is a MAJOR plus. So far I've run all sorts of rounds, including Winchester Universal (WalMart) and the only failures have been mine. Mostly still learning to Quad load/Load Two and operation issues coming off 15 years shooting an 1187. They don't work exactly the same. Unloaded starts have been my biggest issue, have to remember to hit the release BEFORE racking the bolt
Most of the time on empty chamber starts you can start with the shell on the lifter. If your match allows this, hit the button when you stage the gun.

USPSA matches have (at least locally) all gone to "no shell on the lifter" for empty chamber starts, as well as most of the local outlaw matches. I quit asking, because they never mention it in the walk-thru. If they don't mention the rule (and no one asks), I just drop one on the lifter as unobtrusively as possible. If the RO tries to ding me for it, I have basis for protest if it wasn't in the written match rules or the stage briefing. It's only a half a second, but when you are as slow as me every half second helps! :)

Jim may be talking about EMPTY GUN starts. That is why we recently developed the extended shell release button, so you can sweep it as you rack the bolt at the end of the loading sequence. It is literally as fast as not having to use a button at all. Here is what I mean-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6riySnKaGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3m4tNDwkA

Edited by openclassterror

Not to mention a short fore end with no way to change that I'm aware of. I thought they operated on the same inertia system and similar weight of an M2, why would there be less recoil?

Believe Vinci is gas operated, hence lower recoil.

Vinci recoil reduction vs M2 (assuming both have the comfortech stock) is because of factors in the bolt assembly. The Speedbolt is heavier than a typical inertia bolt, due to tungsten inserts. This increased mass in the inertia carrier allows it to absorb a larger percentage of the free recoil energy, which is why the speedbolt is supposed to run with lighter loads. In combination with this, the inline recoil spring system reduces the TOTAL weight of the reciprocating mass, so like an AR with a light buffer there is less energy transfer when the bolt bottoms out at the end of its travel. It also has a polymer buffer on the spring guide like a lot of people use on 1911s, to cushion impact at the end of travel. Unlike the metal-to-metal of the earlier design.

The Vinci recoils differently than a M2. I wouldn't say so much less recoiling just more straight back. That is my seat of the pants interpretation anyways based on pure redneck analysis.

The Vinci recoils differently than a M2. I wouldn't say so much less recoiling just more straight back. That is my seat of the pants interpretation anyways based on pure redneck analysis.

Does a nice "paint job" help?