Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Softer 9mm?

dhunt91

Currently I am loading 125 BBI / SNS over 4.9 Grains of CFE ( PF 130-135 )

Is there a way to make this a softer load while still maintaining PF of at least 125-130?

Powder changing is a option as well as different bullets (generally stick to BBI.

Okay thanks was just wondering on powder mainly I have only cfe and autocomp left ( can probably trade for others )

Im leaning towards 135 or 147gr bib depends on what he is offering in the hytek coating (not sure the 147's are offered yet )

Okay thanks was just wondering on powder mainly I have only cfe and autocomp left ( can probably trade for others )

Im leaning towards 135 or 147gr bib depends on what he is offering in the hytek coating (not sure the 147's are offered yet )

Both of those are pretty slow - for that matter, I believe they're right next to each other on the burn chart.

I'm starting to question how much of a difference people can actually feel across powders, assuming loading for 9mm Minor, and loading to the same PF, with the same bullet. I can feel the difference between, e.g. PF of 130 and PF of 135 using the same powder and projectile in my Glock or PPQ, but not at all on my (heavier, steel framed) CZ.

Meanwhile, I got my best friend set up in reloading, with the only pistol powder available at the time being HS6, which is mostly used for Major. I've been loading MG 124gr JHPs with 3.7gr Titegroup, 1.065" OAL for a PF of 130-131 lately, compared to his load of MG 124gr JHP with 6.0gr of HS6, ~1.10" OAL, making a PF of 132. I didn't do the test (running out of time), but loaded up a half mag alternating 2x MG TG, 2x MG HS6, and had him run through it in a Glock, asking if he felt any noticeable difference. I'll have to do the test myself next time out, but he said he wasn't able to tell the 'feel' apart, which did seem strange/surprising, but once I lock in on a load, I'm usually knocking out a bunch of them same powder/bullet/charge vs comparing different powders back to back.

Going to a heavier bullet will certainly reduce felt recoil either way, though I didn't feel CFE-P at ~130PF was much of a kick last time I loaded it..

Definately get yourself some faster powder and heavier bullets. Look for some titegroup, solo1000, e3, PB, or some medium fast burners like 231 or SR7625 would be better than what you have been using. The softest feeling load I shoot is 2.85gr of titegroup under a 150gr Bayou SWC, it is rediculously soft and makes a 134 PF, pretty accurate as well. Also 3.3gr Solo1000 under the same bullet is almost as soft at the same PF. Other very soft loads I like are 3.4gr titegroup or 3.3gr e3 under a 135 Bayou or Ibejihead RN, make about 135PF, 3.4gr SR7625 under a Lucky13 147gr LRN shoots a very soft 130PF and is very accurate. 3.77gr SR7625 under a 125gr MBC SWC makes a soft 125PF.

A super soft steel challenge load I shoot is 3.4gr titegroup under a 100gr Ibejihead SWC at 1.04OAL, very accurate, only makes a 109PF and you will need reduced powder recoil springs for function, but it is like shooting a .22.

Try 3.6 grains of WST and the 147 Bayou. Very soft shooting.

Freakshow shared his mojo load of 4.0 grains of WSF and a 147 bullet. I tried this with the X treme heavy plate 147 RN and Zero 147 JHP-both produced excellent results.

Everyone has a preference-I prefer 147's powered by either WSF or WST

Have you ever shot 125s with wst? I'm looking for a decent 9mm minor load, and I have a lot of wst.

I'm shooting 4.0gr of WST behind a 125 Blue bullet at 1.165 OAL to get around 130 PF out of a 5" STI since I'm almost out of clays :angry2: Super soft, like clays, but not as clean. I personally think 231, which alot of people seem to like, is ALOT more harsh recoil wise. I've got some 124 MG CMJ's loaded and ready to be chorno'd next time I get to the range.

I shoot a 125 coated sns cast bullet. Medium load of power pistol and shoot extremely accurate with speed. But after shooting 40 major for so long it's like tiny recoil for me. New shooter try the 40 with flinch from my experience but pick up this 9 load and hit on target with much ease and confidence. I load at 1.080.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.6 -5.0 grains of WST and the 124/125 of your choice.

that seems excessive.

Agreed. 4.5gr WST is good enough for 124gr jacketed bullets. Coated lead should be able to make PF with less powder.

My WST 9mm load is 4.6gr., Xtreme 124gr. FP seated at 1.08" this load made 137 PF at VA/MD section match. I find it to be pretty soft, could probably try 4.4 and still be fine but when I was working up this load 4.6 was more accurate. This was shot from my M&P pro with 5 inch barrel.

For what its worth i'm sold on SOLO 1000 for 9mm with 146 FMJs. Other then some of us competition types, its not a too popular powder and you used-to-could find it out there. I have not bought any in some time. I used to shoot lead or coated 147 9mm but switched to a proper FMJ and have not looked back. I loaded to 127-130 PF for minor and have never looked back.

Hello: Another option to look at is your recoil spring setup. Not sure which gun you have so can't tell you what to look at. Thanks, Eric

Good point, the springs are an integral part of the 'feel' of the recoil impulse. When people say they're "waiting on the gun to cycle" with heavy bullets, I suspect if they were running a heavier recoil spring their front sight would snap back on target faster. I know I personally have felt 147s were a little "sluggish" when I didn't change my springs with the load.

Thing is, if you're looking for softer recoil, you're not going to go with a heavier recoil spring, as that'll require more powder to cycle the slide, and more powder = more recoil.