Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just one question really quick for Heavy. Rule 5.5.3.5 says "Magazines may be loaded with no more than 20 rounds at the start signal". Does that mean we can use 25 round mags with base pads as long as they only have 20 rounds in them?

Thanks,

Kurt

Yes, so long as it is downloaded to 20.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2015 started off this morning on schedule with our Pre-Match/Staff Shoot.

We have 11 great stages all ready for you to enjoy.

As I will be sequestered to the stat shack for the rest of the match I may not get a chance to see you shoot. Thanks to everyone for participating in our match. I hope that you all have a great time. Thank for making the registration and squaring job enjoyable.

Russ

Whew!! Finally home! Had a fun time with great people! Squad 9 rocked!!! :bow:

I shot about as well as I had practiced and prepared for...enough said! :(:wacko: The number of collaborators...well, too many for me! :blink:

Thanks to everyone at SMM3G for their hard work and effort to put on such a huge match!!!

We appreciate having such a great start for our 3-Gun season!!!

Results for those few that have signed up for the Outlaw 3-Gun challenge that shot SMM3G will be up on the website soon!!!

Remember, if you are shooting at least 2 of: SMM3G, He-Man, Ironman, RM3G, Gen III, Fallen Brethren and Blueridge, you could be in it, to win it!! :D:D Go to: http://outlaw3gunchallenge.webs.com/

I will fetch other shooters scored retroactively, so no worries! You have until June 1 to sign up for the 2015 Challenge!

Thanks again SMM3G!!! You are appreciated!!!

:wub: Denise

This is a great match to start the year out for 3-gun! Although was it me or was there more No-shoots this year then any other year :surprise: heres a video for those who missed the match

Edited by DocMedic

I hit more no-shoots than any other year, so I think you've got something there :ph34r:

What can be said? SMM3G is a classic, theme-based match that I'll never miss (unless I don't win the lotto)

Did they ever have the drawing for the 3 guns?? I never heard any announcements.

ericm

There were a little more no-shoots, a little more targets past 100 yards, but no rifle clays. Guess they figured the 1/2" pipe at 37 yards was enough. :devil:

I never heard who won any of the 4 gun drawings either.

This year we made a conscious effort to improve the match in the following ways:

1) More emphasis on rifle accuracy. In previous years SMM3G had gained a reputation for being more of a hoser match, so we wanted to shake things up a bit. More long range targets, and some smaller/tighter close-range targets. We welcome feedback on whether competitors would like to continue seeing this level of challenge, or whether they prefer the emphasis to be more on speed.

2) More gun transitions and more 3-Gun stages. The more gun transitions we have, the longer the stages tend to run and the greater the chance of a bottleneck forming. In the past we have limited them... this year we had three 3-Gun stages (it is unfortunate that one of them had to be thrown out due to running behind schedule). The half-day shooting format gives us very little latitude if a stage does become a bottleneck. For future matches, we will likely have to chose between reducing the number of transitions and keeping half-day squadding, or keeping the more complex stages and reverting to the old full-day squadding.

3) Increased round count. This was a leading request from competitors in previous years. Again, more rounds downrange = longer shooter-to-shooter times. Does more trigger pulling improve the overall match experience for our competitors? Let us know what you think.

1. I liked the mix this year. The increased number of targets past 100 yards is something I like (regardless of me not hitting most of them) and I think should be kept.

2. Ambivalent. The heat was a bit rough and full days would have had a more detrimental affect. Some years hot, some not. I personally prefer the transitions and challenging longer stages, so if full day is what has to be done, okay.

3. The minimum required rounds seemed pretty decent this year.

Not including stage 6, there was 66+ Full size IPSC No-Shoots. Outside of actual Physical hard cover, there was only one painted black hardcover on paper (and it seems like I would be the one to hit it :closedeyes: ). I'm all for rifle being harder shots on paper but there were some doozies in there. I do like the option of trying to get 2 fast shots of on paper via activaters or go for the harder 2 inch head shot at 25yards in. But I believe adding so many No-shoots instead of making use of Hardcover (painted or otherwise) really slowed some stages down. I believe the average shooter will go slower around a shoot to no-shoot target then a shoot to hardcover target anyday.

As for the Half-day vs full day, I'm not sure what to think. I RO maybe 80% of my Major matches that I shoot, so the Half-day felt like that, you just kept shooting until you were done no waiting around for other squads to finish up, so that felt nice. But when you were done, you were just DONE, I had no reason to stick around the range, eat at the BBQ truck, go to the vendor tent etc etc. Also its nice to be so close to a major city, Could you imagine shooting a half day format at RM3G...? What the heck would you do for half day in Raton?!?!?

I love multi / 3-gun stages and longer stages, I think its a absolute crime to only shoot 1 gun on a stage, obiviously more guns means longer reset times, one way to shorten reset is using slings :devil:

I like the round count increase, actually felt like a major match.

Oh the mystery boxes are still cool, watched a good shooting buddy who finished in the 60% area of tac-ops "win" a KE Arms rifle worth $1900 from a mystery box.

Edited by DocMedic

This year we made a conscious effort to improve the match in the following ways:

1) More emphasis on rifle accuracy. In previous years SMM3G had gained a reputation for being more of a hoser match, so we wanted to shake things up a bit. More long range targets, and some smaller/tighter close-range targets. We welcome feedback on whether competitors would like to continue seeing this level of challenge, or whether they prefer the emphasis to be more on speed.

2) More gun transitions and more 3-Gun stages. The more gun transitions we have, the longer the stages tend to run and the greater the chance of a bottleneck forming. In the past we have limited them... this year we had three 3-Gun stages (it is unfortunate that one of them had to be thrown out due to running behind schedule). The half-day shooting format gives us very little latitude if a stage does become a bottleneck. For future matches, we will likely have to chose between reducing the number of transitions and keeping half-day squadding, or keeping the more complex stages and reverting to the old full-day squadding.

3) Increased round count. This was a leading request from competitors in previous years. Again, more rounds downrange = longer shooter-to-shooter times. Does more trigger pulling improve the overall match experience for our competitors? Let us know what you think.

I thought the match was very well balanced. The time to reset stages was directly related to the squads willingness and whomever was running the stage. Squad 7 was johnny on the spot with resetting and we finished every stage early. Stage 6 got backed up on the first day, but the crew was increased on the second day and got it figured out. Too bad it got thrown out, because I was really looking forward to shooting it. I thought the round count was just right and a good mix of longer range targets and midrange, off hand targets. I like technical challenges and choosy stages, and I thought there was an appropriate amount of both. I am amazed that SMM3G comes up with so many original stage ideas and with unique target presentations and ways to activate them. I am also amazed at the level of match organization. You guys have admin dialed for sure and I learn a lot I can use as an MD at our matches here in Colorado. The heat was rough, but otherwise two thumbs up from me.

Oh and I almost forgot... I thought you guys did an outstanding job with long range target visibility. Even some one with pour eye sight could easily see the large white backers and then find the black targets in their scope. I shot a 1x optic and was delighted with the target presentation.

Edited by co-exprs

...and another vote AGAINST half-day scheduling.

One stage on / one stage off with an early start and later start, mixed up among the 3 days.....is what I crave.

I don't come for golf, shopping and lunch, I come to shoot a SHOOTING MATCH.

Mi dos centavos,

ericm

As usual Eric is wrong. Wrong shoes, wrong belt, wrong pistol, wrong rear sight, wrong mag pouches, wrong scope. I like the half day format.

1) Keep up the emphasis on rifle accuracy. Stage 8 was great. And for once, not every offhand rifle shot in a match was easy (see Stage 11).

2) I'm not a fan of 3 gun stages. They never make any logical sense and take forever to run. What are we really testing? How fast we can throw guns in barrels and pull them out of barrels? Not getting DQ'd? That being said, I do like complex technical stages.

3) Somewhat ambivalent on round counts. A good match doesn't hinge on it.

Kelly likes the half-day format because he is, essentially, un-social.

He won't even talk to, and try to help new shooters asking questions :surprise:

Coming from the frozen North for this match, I like to spend time at the range. FULL DAY FORMAT!!!!!

Kelly, who lives near the range, has an idea that winter wear is some kind of fluffy fleece over a pair of little boy shorts....

Yours in truth,

ericm

I like the half day format. The long breaks between stages are a drag and I liked being able to go see friends shoot on the alternate schedule. Besides... I can take the heat or I can take Eric's endless jibber jabber, but I can't take both.

:surprise: