Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sporting clays with your 3 gun shotgun

Stlhead

Nothing like a round of sporting clays to humble me. That noise you may have heard today was not a damaged low flying jet, it was me sucking. 43. Yep, did not even hit half of them. I need to get out more. I represented our sport poorly and feel great shame for allowing so many birds to fall to the ground in damaged. I will do better next time.

Nothing like a round of sporting clays to humble me. That noise you may have heard today was not a damaged low flying jet, it was me sucking. 43. Yep, did not even hit half of them. I need to get out more. I represented our sport poorly and feel great shame for allowing so many birds to fall to the ground in damaged. I will do better next time.

DUDE!!! You NEED come down here and play with me! I know I can get you well into %70 in a weekend!

DUDE!!! You NEED come down here and play with me! I know I can get you well into %70 in a weekend!

Okay, I didn't need to read this. :sick:

I went to a trap range for the first time this week. Shot a 19/18/19. Last was from the 22 yard line. I feel I didn't do to bad. I was the only one out there with a shotgun not engraved, gold accented, and dressed in fancy wood. When I approached the line with some IP shell caddies on, I got a few looks. Had a great time and everyone was really nice though.

Okay, I didn't need to read this. :sick:

Why the face? You wanna play and can't cause I am too far away? Almost everyone is...

I shot my best round of Sporting Clays at Rio Salado a few years back while waiting for the results.

I was using my Benelli M2 with a 21 inch barrel and IC or LM.

Ended up hitting 90-92. Cant remember for sure.

Back in the day, skeet was always fun. The Fudds always thought my Riot Gun was a novelty and could not hit anything. JJ and I always made their heads hurt.

That's because you used a top fuel dragster in a sport designed fo horse and buggy. Load her up and let the big dog eat! Two shells at a time....harrrumph!

p.s. I suck at sporting clays, but it is a lot of fun!

This was my third round ever. If I am going to get better I should probably not wait two years between rounds. Not sure why it was my worst round ever, the course was not particularly hard. I did try out other people's guns so that did not help, honestly I preferred my own to the fancy OU's. Too much time shooting static plates would be my first guess. It was tougher to track the birds than I remember. I am certain I was shooting the gun like a rifle, and now that I am thinking back I was tracking the bead like a gommer. Starting to be a little more clear why I sucked.

Sporting clays and 5 stand are wicked fun. Can't say I am really any good at it either, but if you want to do well at any of the Johnson matches you gotta be able to hit birds. Besides... I need to mix up the shooting to keep it fresh.

Stop thinking!

In practice..yes and if your local course allows (mine does that is why Stlhead should come shoot with me) load her up full and shoot that bird across its

flight path. when you get it a few times you will catalog that sight picture.

Our guns do not handicap us. Often our false bravado does, ("horse and buggy") swaggering onto a course ready for a fight with the "fudds" because of our guns.

Be polite, ask about the game, play by the rules and have fun.

During the Northwest multigun with its half day format I found a sporting clays course and shot a round with my 3Gun Vinci...97/100

What I charge an arm and a leg for I am offering to Stlhead for free. If he fails to act on this offer, I will see who might like to get much better at flying clays for the same price.

That was a friendly poke to get my friend to come shoot with me!

I love sporting clays and can usually shoot in the 70's even though I only shoot once or twice a year. Except for the time when the course was still setup for the pros who were there the prior weekend. That was an eye opener.

Mr. Kelly, should you wind up out this way, there is a really nice SC course not far away.

Did it one time and I have to say if I were not hooked on USPSA and 3-gun, I'd be shooting Sporting Clays.Shot 74 of 100 on the Intermediate course.

Jim, if I do, I will.

And when I retire from 3 gun I will live on sporting courses.

Back in the day, skeet was always fun. The Fudds always thought my Riot Gun was a novelty and could not hit anything. JJ and I always made their heads hurt.

Kinda our experience as well, only most of the time we were told to never come back with THOSE guns.

Hard for them to accept a 18" barrel ASSAULT baby killer weapon, beating them, or . . . even hitting half the birds.

OH well their loss of $$

My crew of practice buddies and I some times meet at the range for some 5 stand. We all bring our 3 gun shotguns and our belts. We used to get the hairy eye ball but now people stop to watch. We have fun trying to load two shells after yelling pull and still hit targets. I also shoot a modified flurry, where I load up a full box of shells. The trap kid throws a clay every 3 seconds, till all 25 clays are done. I do my best to keep up... Including reloads. It's wicked fun. Last time we were out doing 5 stand, I was getting bored, so I started shooting my buddies missed clays. It was amazing how much better everyone got, when they didn't want me steeling their unbroken clays.

I love some sporting clays... it sure humbles me.

My local Trap club has quarterly "turkey" shoots for a fundraiser. You pay $5 per round, winners get a turkey.

There is also the Prime Rib elimination. 60 0r 70 guys line up and do an elimination round. You call pull and shoot the bird, you miss next guy gets a chance to hit and if he does you're out. Really is a good time. I sometimes will shoot my 3 gun shotgun out there for giggles, but the longer rib on my O/U definitely helps me hit the moving birds a little better

I shot a few rounds the other day. My hope was that since my mag tube was about the same length as my barrel it could be confused for an O/U at a distance.

It always takes me a round to remember that I still have to aim with a shotgun.