Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 vs SP01 Shadow, differences performance, etc.

SufferInSilence

So, it seems to me that the major differences in the Shadow and the regular SP01 are:

- Sights (the way the rear slide is milled etc.)

- Wider milled rear hammer slot

- Wider hammer

- Different safety style safety switch

Are there any other "major" differences between the two?

This is considering both are NIB.

Most of us gamers tend to tink around with them anyway, swapping parts, and such. What in particular should motivate someone to hold out for a Shadow vs the SP01 if they were going to swap out springs (like the Cajun Gun Works kit) and some of the other "upgrades" and "fancies" out there?

In the end, it is the Indian, not the arrow, that determines much of the end result but:

Do you all believe you can tune an SP01 to kick ass as much as a Shadow without waiting 5 kajillion years for a Shadow?

Or, is there really some super voodoo, ninja-neered reason that the Shadow is the holy grail of many Production Division shooters choice?

GO!

It's all about the firing pin block all the other differences are superficial. The Shadow's lack of a firing pin block gives it a greater potential for a lighter trigger with a shorter reset, but a very good trigger with the block is possible using this handy tutorial :D : http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773

The SP01 trigger I did in the above thread is certainly better than a factory Shadow trigger and is right in there with most Shadows with action jobs from the popular tuners.

Yeah I figured I would revisit the subject, I know a lot of people are looking for em' and the latest run of Shadows have all recently dried up. Regular SP01s can still be found if you have a close eye out. Some people may want to go that route but not know what can be done etc.

Ive done a lot of the work in the link above, on my P01 and its a pretty sick EDC piece. I have used it at a match or two just to stay familiar with it.

I just ordered a sp01 with the works yesterday from CGW . It is my understanding that the block effects the trigger reset by 1mm (.039") and has minimal effect on the trigger pull wgt as well ... Really looking forward to getting this gun in about 5 weeks ...

Doesn't the shadow also have a beveled factory mag well and different beaver tail than the regular sp01?

I have a fpb gun and it is sooo close to a non fpb gun in it's trigger that if shadow versions didn't exist i'd say it was an amazing trigger. There is a difference, it is noticeable, but it is also very small.

I agree with the possible sweet triggers in 75s with the FPB. My 75B has almost the same DA and the same SA pull as my modded 75 Shadow Custom.

The slight difference is the the FPB pull has to be just a wee bit longer than the non-FPB gun to actuate the FPB actuator arm next to the sear. Lightening the FPB spring and polishing everything makes it allllmost a non-issue .

Do you all believe you can tune an SP01 to kick ass as much as a Shadow without waiting 5 kajillion years for a Shadow?

Or, is there really some super voodoo, ninja-neered reason that the Shadow is the holy grail of many Production Division shooters choice?

GO!

Have done some great triggers on "B" and "BD" guns. only the reset is slightly longer.

in some cases you have to use different parts to get to the same place, but no big deal.

So if that is the way to go. really no handicap, just has a few more parts in it that have to be dealt with.

Thanks zhunter, that was the point of the tuning thread :cheers:

Yes thanks for your tuning thread; I am a few weeks away from doing the tuning. I just picked up my NIB SP01 yesterday at the gun show $585 plus tax. I got a great deal I love these gun shows. I have purchased many guns from this dealer he got it in for me last week. I plan on putting some rounds through it in the next few weeks and then get some CGW parts and start the kneelingatlas tuning.

Edited by burttrans

The state of the art in CZ parts has changed with time. With properly engineered parts, the difference between a professionally tuned (or even done at home) CZ many times boils down to +/- production tolerances evident in all firearms.

kneelingatlas has proven beyond any shadow (no pun intended!!) of a doubt, the FPB models can run with practically anything. He did a superb job documenting how to extract amazing performance from a "regular" CZ.

The FP block models are typically cheaper to begin with, which allows you to buy more ammo. You can't buy your way to becoming a better shooter, but you can practice your way there.

Edited by schmeky

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been in the reloading threads and quite a few people had mentioned running the SP-01 pistols in competitions. I had never seen one locally or even at a show and had no idea what it even felt like. Well this weekend I saw an SP-01 at a show and at the LGH. After picking it up and holding it, I can now see why this would be a favorite for people. It feels like it was molded for my hand. My Sigs come close, but this CZ is nice. $629 plus tax locally and I can't wait to save up a little coin and get one in my hands. Good to know that I can modify it then should I want to get into competitive shooting for not a lot of $$ as I've seen many guns waaaayyyyy out of my price range.