Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much zen do you have in 3 gun?

In USPSA there is zen. Lots of zen. The pursuit of zen. Sometimes the abstract pursuit of zen for the sake of zen. I find it to be an interesting idea but how much does this apply in 3 gun? Do YOU zen when you shoot 3 gun? I find my shooting is pretty deliberate.

Zen? huh... I'm not following.

I think 3 gun is more about knowing your limits, when to go fast, and when to slow down.

To steal a line from Kelly Neal- I hope my competition is practicing their Zen while I'm practicing calling my shots on mid range rifle and 5" steel plates at 25 yards w/ pistol.

Zen? huh... I'm not following.

I think 3 gun is more about knowing your limits, when to go fast, and when to slow down.

To steal a line from Kelly Neal- I hope my competition is practicing their Zen while I'm practicing calling my shots on mid range rifle and 5" steel plates at 25 yards w/ pistol.

Now THIS makes sense!

Honest answer.......sorta kinda. :ph34r:

The best stages I've shot to date, I had my plan set, ignored my surroundings and only focused on the targets, steps, reloads, and process that I played in my head several times before the buzzer ever went off. I've had some really good stages when the RO yelled at me that it was my turn to shoot but I was insanely busy goofing around too....and some really bad stages like that too.

I have only a certain amount of brainpower to spend getting a course done. In USPSA I can put a lot of thought into where my feet are going to be, exactly how hard to crank on various targets, and visualizing the A-zone. In 3-gun, I don't, simply because there's so much to DO, and only certain amounts of USPSA course breakdown/body mechanics/visualization remain productive over the comparative long haul.

A stage breakdown might be

Shotgun: Shoot everything here, reload. Shoot other things on the way to the dump bucket and don't miss that little bastard on the right. Go to rifle.

Rifle: Build up on the second step of the barricade, go right to left, hold center, center, 12:00, 12:00 high, center, move to the other barricade and repeat. Go to pistol.

Pistol: Shoot everything closer than 15y, move to this particular bush and shoot everything closer than 15y, then walk over to the big rock while shooting everything else.

I try to have my mental state be the same, but I turn into an angry rhino far more often than I do a ballet dancer.

Especially when I get to make a sweet battle cry getting in and out of position at Raton.

"Hoakey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster on your side kid."

Nice reference to Han. Then you must remember that after seeing it in action he has another famous quote

"May the Force be with you""

No mention of Zen, however. I've used the 'force' quote myself, to bullseye shooting teamates.