Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to shoot fast swingers properly?

jayjay1

Hey guys,

can you teach me, how to shoot fast swingers?

I´ve had a pretty good performance (for me :ph34r: ) at the German Geco Masters, a Level III - IPSC - Match over here.

At 288 shots minimum I did 85% Alphas, BUT, did 10 Mikes too, 7 from them on fast moving swingers.

If the swinger has a visible "dead point", where it stops for a moment before it moves back, I shoot him there.

But in this match, the moving targets were mostly swinging by pretty fast, no returning point to shoot at.

How can I get this done?

Need help.

Take a class from a local shooter who knows the proper way to engage swingers.

+1

I took a class from CHA-LEE. I used to be happy with two hits, delta-mike was common. Now alpha-charlie is the norm.

CHA-LEE what did we shoot, 50 maybe 75 rounds at a swinger? Live instruction is very helpful.

Yep, take a class from a top shooter to learn how it's done and then build yourself one and shoot it until your arms fall off ...

BTW, tracking swingers is the only way to be consistent on them. The ambush method works but can be inconsistent as you found out and is slow ...

With "tracking" you mean following the target with the gun, right?

But with a pretty fast swinger, I will always be to slow, not?

Hm, not many IPSC-shooters around here.

Me was first, two years ago, now we are six...

:blush:

Have to look all over the country to find a class or something, thank you.

There are plenty of threads on this forum that talk about the proper and improper ways of engaging swingers, regardless of their speed. Use the search function to find the threads.

That being said, READING how to do it properly and having someone SHOW you how to do it properly are two completely different things. This is one of those things where you need to do it in live fire with a skilled instructor observing your shooting and providing immediate feedback on what you are doing wrong.

I´ve read around before I started this thread, so, would someone please be so nice and explain to me what is meant with the term "tracking".

Considering that my question goes about FAST swingers.

Knowing when and where that target will appear, so you are able to place two well-maintained shots on target.

No, how can you track something you don't see? Tracking means exactly that, track the target with you sights, pulling the trigger when you have a good sight picture on the target. As a couple of us have already mentioned, you will not learn to shoot swingers (fast or slow ones) by reading Internet threads. You will need to find someone who knows how to shoot them and have them teach you using live fire ....

Train for swingers, drop turners and Texas stars with an airsoft gun and a tennis ball. Get in a large open room (basement or garage), toss the tennis ball and shoot it with the airsoft gun. When you can hit 25% of the balls, the other targets become easy. It is great practice in the winter when there are no matches.

Train for swingers, drop turners and Texas stars with an airsoft gun and a tennis ball. Get in a large open room (basement or garage), toss the tennis ball and shoot it with the airsoft gun. When you can hit 25% of the balls, the other targets become easy. It is great practice in the winter when there are no matches.

I don't get any practice shooting swingers, so encountering these in a match has always been a PITA. So I built myself a swinger for airsoft practice. I can position a no-shoot in such a way that both tracking (target is visible above the no-shoot) and ambushing (target stops to the right or left of the no-shoot) can be practiced. I found that tracking teaches me a wrong technique, simply because airsoft is just too slow. I have had to aim slightly ahead of the target, and that sight picture translated into poor hits in matches with real steel pistol.

I still practice ambushing with airsoft, but for tracking I have a tennis ball suspended from the ceiling by a string, and use this in dry-fire.

Tennis ball, you mean you swing it and then track with sights on a dry fire mode. I appreciate that dry fire will reinforce this but I think you do need to go out there and do it in live fire to confirm hits and whether when you are actually breaking the shot that it is actually a good hit.

I myself need to practice this more often but with our local club's swingers broken at the moment, just couldnt get enough practice these days.

It would be nice to see a video on how to perfectly execute swingers, which disappear behind hard cover and only seeing them when they are at their fastest swing...How to track these targets correctly is a skill I am wanting to enhance to keep time at a minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught this thread and went to see what You Tube had.

Here's what Travis said a few years ago.

Apparently Todd likes to trap the swinger too.

But that tennis ball and air soft sounds fun. I'm sure I'll be trying that this winter when it's too cold and snowy to go outside. :)

This "pause-shooting-thingy" is very nice, if the swingers have a returning point.

But if the swinger is only visible in motion, there it becomes tricky.

I´ll do this tennis ball thingy in winter too.

:goof:

Sounds fun.

Edited by jayjay1