Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info on Rimfire Open gear, part 1 - Guns

Roamer

Photoracer I have not shot a .22 in a couple of years. Not that I don't enjoy it but I'm not paying $40.00 a brick for it. I have never shot in a NSSF match before but ZACK is starting one up and I might try and scrounge enough ammo for a match. I have however been trying to shoot the barrel out of this Glock.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photoracer I have not shot a .22 in a couple of years. Not that I don't enjoy it but I'm not paying $40.00 a brick for it. I have never shot in a NSSF match before but ZACK is starting one up and I might try and scrounge enough ammo for a match. I have however been trying to shoot the barrel out of this Glock.

Nothing wrong with that. I am not having a lot of issues finding .22 ammo for less these days. Not everyone is down as yet but I have been able to buy the good stuff as low as $.07/rd (CCI-MM 40g). Since I stopped shooting 3-gun and USPSA this year due to my knees I have managed to round up near 20K rounds of .22LR during the last 12 months or so inspite of the fact that I regularly sell off some to my teammates and shoot a lot of matches on this side of the US.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to say that in my opinion the Xesse would not be a good gun for steel challenge. I own one of these fine pistols and use it for bullseye, but it has an inherent flaw that manifests itself after a few thousand rounds, maybe less. There is a small tab on the trigger guard that acts as kind of a slide stop. This tab can and will break off. Mine did after about 5000 rounds of subsonic ammo. There are reports of it failing quicker with standard and faster velocity ammo. It is not an expensive part, $20.00 form Larry’s Guns. It might not cause an unsafe condition on the pistol but when mine broke I stopped for the night and did not shoot it again until I got the new part.

Img_0010.jpg

I've been shooting my SteelMaster with the 90' mount like dansedgli above but have my

BuckMark and 10-22 using the std upright scope mounts.

I found the Cmore much too high for a good chin weld on the 10-22.

I see plenty of 90' mounts for the STI but not the 10-22 or BM

Any leads?

I shoot a Model 41 with a Clark 5" STC Barrel threaded for a comp. The only misfires I have had with this gun was bad ammo. I also have a Buck Mark with a Tac Sol barrel for back up and a Marvel Unit 1 on a dedicated Caspian single stack frame. Both guns are threaded for comps and both have conventionally mounted C-Mores as does the Model 41. I have been the Ruger route and prefer the Buck Mark over both models of Rugers. Ammo is usually CCI Standard Velocity.

Just shot my second Steel match with my M&P 22. Not one hiccup in either match. I ran a 22/45 last year and it had it share of problems. I went the El cheapo route, and used a Mako mount, a Bushnell fastfire, an 1/2X28 thread adapter and a clocked comp. All together less then $200.

I've never shot open class before and was a little nervous about using a dot... This is the first one i've used on a pistol. One thing I like about the Mako mount is the sights are still available to use. I still use the regular sights on smoke and hope....

MampP22_zps0c49e474.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting my SteelMaster with the 90' mount like dansedgli above but have my

BuckMark and 10-22 using the std upright scope mounts.

I found the Cmore much too high for a good chin weld on the 10-22.

I see plenty of 90' mounts for the STI but not the 10-22 or BM

Any leads?

I find that the C-More on a 10/22, if you take the railway adapter off the sight and replace any rails on the receiver with an Allchin direct mount you have a near perfect sight level depending on your stock. Based on what I have done in local matches and Tier 2 Steel Challenge with the 10/22 I will be definitely faster this year in NSSF competition. I don't think the 10/22 would benefit from a 90 degree C-More mount. However I think an AR-22 would benefit. In fact I think it so much I figured out a way to mount my original home made 90 degree mount (the one I replaced with the BearCave mount on my Buckmark) on my super custom Taccom AR-22. In fact what I did was mount my laydown C-More mount onto the C-More Picatinny adapter and put it as far forward on the AR receiver rail as I could (in fact a little over the edge). Because my AR-22 uses the Taccom thin tube carbon fiber fixed stock your head sits lower than the regular mil-spec buffer tubes so it was a no brainer. Have not shot it yet due to the crappy weather we are having in WV but I will soon.

Also the weight issues come into play for the rifles. I have around a grand into each of these 3 types of rimfire speed rifles, 15-22, 10/22, and AR-22. The 15-22 is maxed out weight wise at a beefy 4 lbs. 12 ozs. Can't get it any lower short of getting the barrel cut. My #1 10/22 weighs in at about 3 lbs. 15 ozs. with a comp on the barrel. I could shave somemore off if I went back to a polymer trigger housing and a polymer mag release lever. My #2 10/22 has those things and is lighter than the main one but I won't give up the Timney trigger on the #1 just for a little more weight off. The AR-22 currently weighs in at 3 lbs. 5 ozs. and could touch the magical sub-3lbs range when Tim Ubl sends me the new Taccom carbon fiber sleeved AR barrel which is supposedly only 10 ozs. in weight (minus a comp).

I found a way to get my Open Buckmark below 27 ozs by replacing the alloy TS grips with a set of the new G10 ones. Finally took delivery of the VQ hammer kit for the Buckmark so will be giving a report on how that compared to my Heggis flipped one.

Taccom sells a ready to use 90 degree C-More mount for the Buckmark from Bearcave. I have used one for most of 2014 after replacing my homemade one (I needed the Allchin mount under it for another project).

Edited by photoracer

Just shot my second Steel match with my M&P 22. Not one hiccup in either match. I ran a 22/45 last year and it had it share of problems. I went the El cheapo route, and used a Mako mount, a Bushnell fastfire, an 1/2X28 thread adapter and a clocked comp. All together less then $200.

I've never shot open class before and was a little nervous about using a dot... This is the first one i've used on a pistol. One thing I like about the Mako mount is the sights are still available to use. I still use the regular sights on smoke and hope....

MampP22_zps0c49e474.jpg

Only time I use the sights on S&H is the stop plate, either pistol or rifle. Still have not gotten lower than 8.37s with any of my guns.Too slow at 67 YO I guess.

• 1 year later...

I finally got my VQ Scorpion in my hands after a 4 month wait. Does anyone know the best mount for a VQ Scorpion to get the cmore lowest to the bore as possible? The pistol has a picatinny rail.

I can't figure out if a Taccom 90 degree mount http://www.taccom3g.com/cmore-mount---universal.html or a standard C-more railway would allow the dot to sit lower. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by accu9

Best idea is the milling one. Mill enough of the rail tabs so the C-More sits flat on the big wide part of the rail and they drill and tap it for a pair of C-More mounting screws. You could also do a homemade 90 degree like I did back in 2009 after you drill and tap the C-More mount screw into the top.