Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everglade Ammo? And Concave base bullets?

tenchu74

This company Everglade Ammo is selling 124grain FMJ (not plated) bullets with a concave base for $89 for 1000. Seems like a really good price.

Anyone use bullets from this company, how are they?

And is a concave base on a FMJ a good or bad thing concerning accuracy and such?

My load is 4.5 grns of W231.

Thanks

Ive done a little bit of searching but i havent found what i was looking for.

Can someone explain to me the idea behind a concave base?

People say the concave base helps in gas seal and accuracy. It is achieved during the double struck process. I find the base a little more rounded which helps in my seating process. Edited by GJGary

• 4 years later...

After loading extrmes for a couple years I decided try a box of these.  I received them and they all seem to measure .354.  My Dillon Dies resize the brass down to where I don't see bullet set back being a problem. 

Anyone running these notice this and should I be concerned with other possible issues?

On 9/14/2014 at 12:14 AM, tenchu74 said:

This company Everglade Ammo is selling 124grain FMJ (not plated) bullets with a concave base for $89 for 1000. Seems like a really good price.

Anyone use bullets from this company, how are they?

And is a concave base on a FMJ a good or bad thing concerning accuracy and such?

My load is 4.5 grns of W231.

Thanks

Everglades 124gr Recess base RN is all I use now since switching from their 147gr bullets.  They remind me of the Berry's hollow base round nose bullets.  Accuracy is really good and their special price is attractive.  They always offer free shipping.  My load is 3.4gr of Titegroup with a 1.130 OAL

Give them a try, you wont be disappointed.

It's been a while since I bought bullets for 9mm Minor, but

isn't $89/1,000 a bit more than you have to pay ?

I believe PD and RMR JHP's are less in large quantity and kind of

expected you can get a 9mm Minor bullet for more like $69/1,000 ?

Or, am I behind the times, here ?

39 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

It's been a while since I bought bullets for 9mm Minor, but

isn't $89/1,000 a bit more than you have to pay ?

I believe PD and RMR JHP's are less in large quantity and kind of

expected you can get a 9mm Minor bullet for more like $69/1,000 ?

Or, am I behind the times, here ?

Here's Everglades pricing on the 124gr Recess base.  I think someone misquoted the price
Quantity *
  • 100 Bullets....(Box) $23.00
  • 500 Bullets....(Bag) $55.00 $46.00
  • 1000 Bullets..(Bag) $89.00 $76.00
  • 2000 Bullets..(Bulk) $172.00 $148.00
  • 3750 Bullets..(Bulk) $299.00 $269.00 Best Value! - $71.74 Per 1000

10 hours ago, stick said:

Everglades 124gr Recess base RN is all I use now since switching from their 147gr bullets.  They remind me of the Berry's hollow base round nose bullets.  Accuracy is really good and their special price is attractive.  They always offer free shipping.  My load is 3.4gr of Titegroup with a 1.130 OAL

Sounds like accuracy isn't an issues.  I'm curious about velocities compared to a standard base 124gr .355-.356 dia bullet and if the base will really allow for a better seal.  I think i may have a few Xtremes I can load up for comparison.

9 minutes ago, NWfront said:

Sounds like accuracy isn't an issues.  I'm curious about velocities compared to a standard base 124gr .355-.356 dia bullet and if the base will really allow for a better seal.  I think i may have a few Xtremes I can load up for comparison.

I've never had any pressure issues.  My load data is for PCC, so my velocity data probably won't help you.

On 9/28/2018 at 5:39 AM, stick said:

Any idea if these would be dirtier than their plated option, due to the exposed lead at the base?  They're real close in price, but I'm tempted with FMJ being cheaper. 

2 hours ago, KPEngineer said:

Any idea if these would be dirtier than their plated option, due to the exposed lead at the base?  They're real close in price, but I'm tempted with FMJ being cheaper. 

I don't think they are any dirtier than any other plated bullet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, KPEngineer said:

Exposed lead base FMJs will still build gunk up in your comp that has to be chipped out like concrete. It happens much slower than with coated but it does happen.

I can wipe it clean with a rag after 500 rounds of  plated Everglades 124s. Just a little powder residue.

The same cleainess advantage is there with handguns, it just doesn’t matter as much unless they’re compensated.

Edited by MemphisMechanic