Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp for 9mm

Triple

Cheely comp really seems to work. Dang a 9mm with 6 poppel holes dont see that often

For sure. With 6 holes it might not need a comp! Just put one of Matt Cheely's new comps on it and fill the 9mm case all the way up with a good 9MAJOR powder then smash a light bullet in there! :goof:

Hello: Wow 6 holes in the barrel for 9mm. That is a lot and will require more powder and be harder on the hand. With that many holes a weight on the end will be all you need. Try a Bedell steel comp from Shooters Connection. If a comp is designed correctly you don't need any holes in the barrel. When adding holes you are making the barrel shorter since gas is relieved sooner so more powder is needed. Thanks, Eric

I had the Ti Cheely comp on a full size with no holes and hated it. I switched it for an Azone comp and way softer but proberly to much comp for 6 holes. The Akai comp seems to be hot right now with the ports

WOW! Was that the old Cheely or the new Cheely Comp. I switched from the old to the new and it is a fantastic comp at about 175 PF.

I had the Ti Cheely comp on a full size with no holes and hated it. I switched it for an Azone comp and way softer but proberly to much comp for 6 holes. The Akai comp seems to be hot right now with the ports

What was your load Calvin? There's a whole world out there so many Open shooters never experience above 170pf, they just work up to major and stop.

PS: if you've never tried 115s you're really missing out.

It was the new comp... I tried multiple powders and bullet waits 124's & 115's..... True blue. Silhouette. 3n38.

It came on a new freedom gun. Swapped comps and was a totally different gun.

PF would range 170-173 never pushed it any further

Edited by calvinc78

It was the new comp... I tried multiple powders and bullet waits 124's & 115's..... True blue. Silhouette. 3n38.

It came on a new freedom gun. Swapped comps and was a totally different gun.

PF would range 170-173 never pushed it any further

Really interesting... I've never tried the Cheely comp, but heard lots of good things (confused me though because it doesn't look like much).

I currently shoot a full length 9mm with a brazos thundercomp at 174PF. I had a new gun built with the cheely comp. Waited 6 months to get it and sold it after the first time I shot it. To me the cheely comp is pretty flat but violent in the hand.

I currently shoot a full length 9mm with a brazos thundercomp at 174PF. I had a new gun built with the cheely comp. Waited 6 months to get it and sold it after the first time I shot it. To me the cheely comp is pretty flat but violent in the hand.

Flat but violent?

I have been running Cheely comps since he started building them. I have switched over from the Bedell comp. Its nice and flat. I had him add a couple barrel ports to speed the little bit of dot movement up. It is a nice set up. CK Arms guns are set up the same way.

The way a gun tracks/feels is a personal thing. We all see and feel things differently.

Spring rates bullet/powder combo's and our skill set all come into play.

I really like 2 holes to flatten things out, both shooting and CFD analysis show that holes really help in creating down force. You can search for posts by me and see the whole comp design CFD thread.

I'm really liking 2 3/16" holes and the Titanium comp I designed. The gun is so light and easy to point, but it has a nice recoil impulse.

20140902_213902.jpg

Edited by jid2

JID2: Your gun is 9 mm M, which is the configuration of the bullets? The chambers look great

Guys, the exchange of information we are offering is very interesting and productive.
We are short of Akai user reviews.
Has anyone tried to use factor between 165,000 / 170,000 and what is the behavior?
Thanks to all for collaborating

Hello: I have tried most of the comps out there. Some are better than others. I have also shot a lot of different open pistols. Lastly I have talked to some big name GM's about there pistols and what they like and what did not work for them. Saying all that it really comes down to what you like. I have tried the Akai comp and for me it did not work well for my setup. So I ended up designing and building my own comp. I like trying different things, it just adds to the fun for me. If you want to try a Akai comp buy one and try it. Only you can tell if it will work for you. Thanks, Eric

Eric, I do not want to buy and try a Comp Akai, I'm looking for tips to see which ones advise me and then I will choose, but all the information you we provide we is very enriching.

JID2: Good seput, for its power factor.

Please not fail to advise or giving their opinion, it is very helpful.

Thanks

Triple: It would help if you gave the diameter of the holes in the barrel. If they are large holes like the SVI IMM guns you may not need or want a comp on the end. It will also depend on the placement of the holes as well "V" or even side placement. A picture tells a lot. I am guessing you are outside the USA so millimeter diameter will work for the hole sizes. Thanks, Eric