Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited vs Limited 10

bosoxfan21

Fairly new to USPSA and was wondering why there are two different divisions in limited. The only difference I see in the number of rounds one can have in each mag. Are there other differences? What makes someone choose one over the other?

That is the only difference. Started out with the AWB I believe. Also happens to be a good division for people with guns that don't fit well in other divisions. (think double stack guns with relatively low round capability)

L10 is actually a good division. Makes you think a little more (planning reloads), and there aren't too many people, myself included, who wouldn't benefit from some more reloading practice. Plus if your carry or duty weapon is a .40, you're probably more competitive in L10 than against all the 9mm's in Production.

That is the only difference. Started out with the AWB I believe. Also happens to be a good division for people with guns that don't fit well in other divisions. (think double stack guns with relatively low round capability)

....or single stack guns not based in the 1911 design, shooting major power factory ammo out of 8-10 round mags.....

If you live in a free state L-10 is for hiding.

Pffffttt...

I am returning to limited after about a 3yr break and finding I want a more challenging environment so I can get back up to speed. I am thinking L10 would require up to 3 mag changes per stage and a more detailed stage break down(another area I am lacking in). Locally, our club has 6 stages per month. So I could have a potential 18 mag changes on the clock in L10 vs. 6 in limited and have to think about the path a lot more. Generally, when shooting limited there is only one mag change and a choice of path. I think L10 would ultimately make you a better limited shooter after you spend some time there. Are there fewer "free state" competitors in L10?......yes. Is it a place to hide?.... I have to agree with davsco. Its what you make of it

Come to Canada where having 10 rounds feels incredible if you are accustomed to shooting Standard in IPSC with a 1911. Ten rounds is the ceiling here and so we learn to reload more often regardless of division and get good at it. It's the same with the shotgun boys as we are limited to five rounds in SA guns. Our American cousins unaccustomed to the requirements of more frequent mag changes and the planning required suffer a tad when shooting under our rules.

Look at the results from Area 8 in Limited compared t L-10 and then tell me that they are the same.

I don't think there is an argument that Lim and L10 are "the same". They have the same equipment profile and Major PF but different mag capacity. Limited clearly has fewer mag changes and more options for how to run the course; L10 gets you more stage planning (like Production).

It's a lot about what you want to do with the equipment you have. I know folks who have Sig P220s who could run in Prod, L10, or Limited and choose L10 because of the Major power factor and 8-rd mags.

L10 is actually a good division. Makes you think a little more (planning reloads), and there aren't too many people, myself included, who wouldn't benefit from some more reloading practice. Plus if your carry or duty weapon is a .40, you're probably more competitive in L10 than against all the 9mm's in Production.

Minor 40 loads can be competitive in production - no big disadvantage there IMO.