Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Level 2 USPSA match what to bring?

Toyotafrank

Include something to snack on to keep energy levels ups and water or sports drinks to stay hydrated.

If you have a spare parts kit and a few tools, keep them handy (in the car) until needed.

For the open shooters, spare batteries are needed.

A magazine brush for those mags that hit the dirt.

A folding chair or stool is nice for those times when its appropriate to sit (like waiting for the prior squad to finish a stage).

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I shot my first level 2 match a couple of months ago. The only thing extra I took was ammo.I took like 500 rounds where I normally take about 200 to a local match. Take some extra cash too. There were people selling brass, bullets and powder at reasonable prices.

Just stuff for your personal comfort. I like to change socks during lunch. I like to take a cool, wet washrag out of the cooler and clean my face and hands then re apply sunscreen.

Also a copy of the stages is nice. I am definitely a fan of snacks and drinks. Camera, either video or your phone can get soem fun stuff too if you're squaded with friends.

Fill your water bottles half full and lay them on thier side in the freezer. Top em off day of and bring a small cooler. Extra drinkable ice cold water gives you that fresh charge right before you're up. Especially with the long days of big matches.

A small snack for in between each and every stage. Keep the insulin levels constant.

I find you really have to take good care of yourself for big matches.

Always have rain gear with you. 99% of the time it will keep the rain away from you since you have the gear. However, if you don't have it, you will wish that you did. If you have the room, then bring an umbrella as well. Same principle..........

Here is my full list. Most of the stuff stays in the car. Better to have and not need, than not have at all.

Range Bag

Cleats

Gun

Magzines

Inner Belt

Outer belt with holster and mag pouches

2-3 towels; 1 for mags, 1 for sweat, 1 extra

Match Ammo + 30% more than then round count

Shooting Glasses

Ear plugs / Ear muffs

Large Ziploc Bag for scoresheets

Large Garbage bag for Range Bag

Extra Parts

Tools

Mag Brush

Pro Grip

Water / Water Bottle

Chair

Knee pads

Maps to Range, hotel, etc.

Rain Gear

Wet Wipes

Watch/stopwatch

wrist band

tissues

rewetting drops if you wear contacts

video camera

bug spray

extra shirt

flip flops

Energy Bars

Sun Screen

Chapstick

Hat

On the topic of extra shoes, you might want to make one pair for muddy situations (cleats) and one pair for dry weather. If it rains and the stages turn into slop, you'll be happy you have the cleats. Also, a garbage bag to put muddy shoes/clothes/range bag in will help keep your car cleaner. VERY helpful if you've borrowed your wife's vehicle. ;)

On the topic of extra shoes, you might want to make one pair for muddy situations (cleats) and one pair for dry weather. If it rains and the stages turn into slop, you'll be happy you have the cleats. Also, a garbage bag to put muddy shoes/clothes/range bag in will help keep your car cleaner. VERY helpful if you've borrowed your wife's vehicle. ;)

Very good idea! Last year at the Missouri Fall Classic, it rained, (as it usually does), and I was wearing cleats, but we also had a stage that was shot from the porch of a cowboy storefront. I found out then that cleats may be great in dirt, mud and gravel, but they are slippery as hell on a wet wood surface!

BTW - Matt L (aandabooks), I'll see you come October for the IL Sectional at Lefthanders. I'll be working the match.

Edited by Parallax3D

Here is my full list. Most of the stuff stays in the car. Better to have and not need, than not have at all.

Range Bag

Cleats

Gun

Magzines

Inner Belt

Outer belt with holster and mag pouches

2-3 towels; 1 for mags, 1 for sweat, 1 extra

Match Ammo + 30% more than then round count

Shooting Glasses

Ear plugs / Ear muffs

Large Ziploc Bag for scoresheets

Large Garbage bag for Range Bag

Extra Parts

Tools

Mag Brush

Pro Grip

Water / Water Bottle

Chair

Knee pads

Maps to Range, hotel, etc.

Rain Gear

Wet Wipes

Watch/stopwatch

wrist band

tissues

rewetting drops if you wear contacts

video camera

bug spray

extra shirt

flip flops

Energy Bars

Sun Screen

Chapstick

Hat

Thanks to everyone. I feel good I have everything on this list but the bag for the bag. Great idea, we looked at the weather report and Fort Smith is going to rain so here we go! Edited by Toyotafrank

Other than possibly preparing for weather that you might usually not see in your local area if the match is far away, why would you bring stuff to a lvl 2 match but not bring that same stuff to a level 1 match? Besides that fact that there will be more stages it's the same sport ....

Do a lot of you just show up to local matches with your gun, belt and a baggie of ammo and then when you go to a major you pack a bunch other stuff?

Yes and no. 5 to 6 stages close together and over with by 1 PM, I will bring the basics. An all day match or spread out between several bays like pistol, rifle, and shotgun so that you travel a couple hundred yards if not more between areas I will bring more comfort gear.

Other than possibly preparing for weather that you might usually not see in your local area if the match is far away, why would you bring stuff to a lvl 2 match but not bring that same stuff to a level 1 match? Besides that fact that there will be more stages it's the same sport ....

Do a lot of you just show up to local matches with your gun, belt and a baggie of ammo and then when you go to a major you pack a bunch other stuff?

I would bring everything I could think of ( thats why I asked as there may be something I didnt think of) no matter what the level. My question was informative (advising that it was a level 2) as well as a question. I guess I should have just said going to a match what should I bring..... I feel so bad for asking the question so sorry...

Don't feel bad. It's a valid question and there are some differences in what you take to a level 2 match, because it's longer (like food and comfort items)

But Nimitz is also right. If you take all matches seriously then you should be just as prepared (for example with gun spares) for a level 1 match as for a level 2 match

I take the same stuff, just more of it. Although, I'm more likely to take a chair with me to a major match. There are a few things that I normally keep in the truck, but I will put them in my range bag for major matches in case I can't make it back to the truck. Stuff like handy wipes, extra pair of glasses, etc, etc.

Awesome. I think that the best thing about the bigger matches are the caliber of shooters that you see. Most of my local matches, I finish 10th to 20th out of maybe 40 production shooters. I finished something like 208th out of 230 shooters at my first level 2. I shot the sc sectional behind the guy that won overall. Very humbling experience. At local matches, there are always 2 or 3 really good shooters but my whole squad in SC were Damn good shooters. I really learned a lot and had an awesome time. I can't wait to get to another one.