Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprises' Rocky Mountain 3-Gun - August 13-16, 2015

Had a great time at my first RM3G. I didn't perform nearly as well as I could have, but I get the impression that's the norm for many people. Thanks to JJ and Denise for putting on a first-class match, and I'm looking forward to next year.

Here's my vids from this past week. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Aras50NapdI

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Some of the rifle shooting positions were very unstable - ladders, shooting sticks etc. Yes, they are the same for everyone, not a competitive equity issue. However, such challenges may be beyond a significant number of shooters, resulting in a high number of time-outs causing the stages to run long. Maybe a few less of these more challenging shooting positions would make life easier and less stressful on the ROs trying to run the stage on schedule?

* It seemed like every stage was uphill... is there any downhill terrain available to you at NRAWC? :roflol:

I think that props such as the sticks could be mentioned in the information that gets emailed out, i.e. target count email. The sticks could be easily duplicated at home and the choice to get familiar with them is up to the competitors.

Downhill? Like falling down the road on the way to stage 9?

Edited by Dan Sierpina

* Some of the rifle shooting positions were very unstable - ladders, shooting sticks etc. Yes, they are the same for everyone, not a competitive equity issue. However, such challenges may be beyond a significant number of shooters, resulting in a high number of time-outs causing the stages to run long. Maybe a few less of these more challenging shooting positions would make life easier and less stressful on the ROs trying to run the stage on schedule?

* It seemed like every stage was uphill... is there any downhill terrain available to you at NRAWC? :roflol:

I think that props such as the sticks could be mentioned in the information that gets emailed out, i.e. target count email. The sticks could be easily duplicated at home and the choice to get familiar with them is up to the competitors.

Downhill? Like falling down the road on the way to stage 9?

Yes of course there are some spots that you could set up a long range rifle stage for a downhill run...like "Hamburger Hill" by Stage 1 location above the parking lot. We used it a few times and just about killed off some flat-landers because they have to hump a rifle and pistol up the hill first :surprise: ...One reason Benny Hill no longer attend this match, LOL!!!

What goes down must comes up first :roflol:

Edited by PacMan

For the targets, the only real solution is the one Trapr and Kurt have been suggesting for years and that's that we don't put targets on the mountainside, or in the canyon across the road, or in the valleys or in the trees like on stage 7, unless you can run out and paint them between shooters and reset them...then there is no question if you hit them because they fall down...like the targets at the shoot-offs, and whoever paints them can fix the backer at the same time. Maybe pits would work, but that would have to be more of a berm match. Natural terrain does not lend itself to a quick paint run down range.

It depends on what you like!

I like seeing the targets all over, at different elevations and different angles...and quite honestly, if they all fell down, we would need about 50 more targets...let alone the fact that we would have to cut the number of shooters in half.

Anyway, we work hard and try to improve presentation every year. Sometimes, the RO's get tired and don't take as good care as they can...sometimes, the clouds or the sun obliterate a target for 20 minutes a day, and although we try to check them at different times of day, we do not sit out there for the full 14 hours of daylight on every stage! :mellow:

Glad most of you had a good time. Sorry about the small problems with target presentation.

We sure are glad you all joined us!!! Backers will be back for their 10th year (our 10th year running JP RM3G) August 11-14, 2015! :-)

:wub: Denise

I shot LS, so my opinion that the backers were fine is likely invalid to others. :)

Denise, JJ, amazing match. I had so much fun, thank you for the all the work and challenges. Third year in, and I'm still getting humbled. The stages and RO work are top-notch in the interactions I had. Really glad I made the trip again and already blocked off the days for the 2016 match.

Being my first year attending this match, ( only my second year shooting competitions ), I wasn't sure what to expect but I had heard only good things from other shooters so I wanted to try to get in. I was lucky enough to get in and I am so glad I did, the drive was a lot to endure ( 15+ hours ) but it was well worth it. I hope they don't ever change the target presentation ( across canyons, in the woods etc...) as that is what makes these natural terrain matches so fun and unique. I understand the complaints about not being able to see targets etc... but I think the staff did a great job getting well over 300 shooters through with very little issues or delays and realistically shooting iron sights at targets out to 500 yards plus is going to be difficult with or without backers. I shot limited scope and had no issues finding targets etc... hitting them quickly is another story but I could see some backers missing etc... but that is part of the challenge IMO. I don't think you could ever make it totally equal as far as presentation as it depends on what time of day you shoot ( lighting etc..), weather, etc.., again part of the challenge. I was really impressed by the people both shooting and running the match, it truly is like a big family and they always make you feel welcome and important. If I could only attend 1 major match a year it would be RM3G, hands down. Excellent job by the entire staff, especially JJ and Denise as you can see the dedication they put into this match, as for the NRA WC - wow what an amazing place to shoot, can't wait for next year, hopefully better prepared but I know it will be fun no matter what - Thanks again for an awesome match !

In regards to target visibility, it is impossible for every shooter to have the same conditions for the same targets outdoors. Targets using pits? Still a no-go, the NRA groups people of the same class together on the line, to give shooters of equal ability conditions as equal as possible. USPSA does the same thing with the "Super Squads" for handgun. I've not shot the Multigun Nationals, so, I have no knowledge there.

Sometimes, the RO's get tired and don't take as good care as they can...

It is understandable, tough match to run and being out in the sun for 4 days straight! Who wouldn't get beat up and tired? I was the last 4 shooters of the match on Stage 2, and I could see it clearly on Doc's face that he was completely drained by that time! Thanks man for running me through effectively as tired as you were!

(You should ask for another 'head massage' :roflol: )

Edited by PacMan

Head Massage? I'm not sure it that is too much information, or not enough. :sick:

Dan it is an insider's story only Doc can tell you LOL!!! Check his FB page around May for the evidence :roflol:

Edited by PacMan

This was 5th time at RM3G and I love it more and more every year! This was my first year with a pedometer. I walked/ran 9.06 miles per day average for Wednesday through Saturday. And that is as a competitor, so I cannot thank Denise, JJ, the staff, and the ROs enough! Can't wait for next year!

Got some of the team stage footage up on http://rm3gun.smugmug.com/

One of the amazing RO's - Cindy DeSplinter filmed and took pictures and did interviews.

Jeremy Mulligan and Mark Miller were the other RO's on that stage. No footage except this as the RO's and the 4 members of the team were the only ones allowed back there!

Thanks to everyone who participated!!! Looks like it turned out to be a hoot!

Ergo (most creative) and Army are the two sets that are up right now. I am uploading Team USA Again and Shadow company now!

I will work on the rest as I can!

Downhill? Like falling down the road on the way to stage 9

I disagree about knowing what the props are ahead of time. If this was the very first RM3G match and you had no information about the difficulty, then some advance notice would be good. But with the videos from previous years available to review, I knew to expect damn near any kind of unusual / unstable shooting position so my son and I practiced shooting off single posts, kitchen step stools (hey look - ladders!), and anything else we could think of. I have to admit the teepee sticks and the reverse roof top were my least favorite shooting positions. But - I hit all my targets from them and I bet that any other match I go to in the next year won't have anything more difficult.

Now I am a bit concerned as to what JJ has in mind for next year.

Thanks to all the sponsor's who contributed to the match. I have been in contact with quite a few regarding certificates, thanks, etc. and they have all gone above and beyond excellent customer support.

Take a minute and send them an email or mail the post cards thanking them for their generosity.

Thanks to all the sponsor's who contributed to the match. I have been in contact with quite a few regarding certificates, thanks, etc. and they have all gone above and beyond excellent customer support.

Take a minute and send them an email or mail the post cards thanking them for their generosity.

We have the BEST SPONSORS!!! Thanks everyone!

Sent out all the thank-you notes that you amazing shooters signed on Tuesday after we got home...well, those that no one picked up at the match. Don't forget to mail your sponsor thank-you postcards that were attached to many of the prizes on the table! They are stamped, so you just need to jot and note and drop them in the mail!

Please, like bishop414 says, send them some thank-yous! There are a LOT of 3-Gun matches this year, and our sponsors really stepped up! Check out http://rm3g.com/ for the full list of sponsors! :bow::bow::bow:

Edited by Benelli Chick