Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smart phone screens

george76904

Supposedly there are guys who can fix the screens if you don't have insurance. All the phones on our plan have insurance mandated by me, the bill payer.

Mine may still be under waranty becasue its actually a fairly new phone. Right now the question isnt if they can repair the phone its how much it is going to cost to repair it. the materials are under $50 but I'm not going to attempt it by myself.

I broke my six year iPhone streak last month. Jumped out of the truck with it in my lap and it went FLYING. First screen in 5 generations of ownership to shatter and boy did I make it a good one. But like Atlas said, $35 and ten minutes and it was fixed. Way easier than the 4's. I learned to replace iPhone screens years ago because wife...kids....

I broke my six year iPhone streak last month. Jumped out of the truck with it in my lap and it went FLYING. First screen in 5 generations of ownership to shatter and boy did I make it a good one. But like Atlas said, $35 and ten minutes and it was fixed. Way easier than the 4's. I learned to replace iPhone screens years ago because wife...kids....

Sadly I have a droid that is not so easy its going to cost me as much to get the screen replaced as it would to buy a manufacturer refurbished better model of the phone, so I will do that and keep my shattered screen phone. And I have done the jumping out of a car with phone in lap (a few times more than I care to mention) without incident, probably thanks to the case. But a 3ft drop onto carpet CARPET! proved too much for the little screen...

Oh well such is the way of the world.

Friend just had his screen replaced on his Motorola phone. Cost him $100. Just picked up a Life Proof brand case for my iPhone 5. It's water proof to 3 feet and can take a 3 foot drop on concrete. They run $75 but well worth it.

Yeah it was going to cost me as much to fix the screen as it was to buy a newer model manufacture refurbished phone, so I picked up the refurbished phone and an otter box for $25 more than replacing the screen. Either way I'm going to try very hard not to repeat this. Lol

I've had the Otter box, but it did not hold to the daily wear and tear of the holster and tabs and buttons for usage

The LifeProof Rocks! Plus it is slimmer and trimmer. I try to be careful, but accidents happen, that's Life. Mine has done as advertised.

Only, inconvenience is you need special charging adaptors and longer audio jack, but it comes with one.

Worth the money!

• 1 month later...

I fix these things for a living and 75% of the time the insurance on them is a total scam, they'll usually hit you for $100-$200 just for a deductable AFTER you've been paying them every single month for the insurance. On top of that they'll just give you a refurbished phone that they got in from someone else and fixed that they also hit up for a deductable. Quite the racket they've got going there.

this happened to my S4 too. dropped and flew higher than my height. It was fine. I dropped it from my pocket at the range, and bam! totally cracked the screen. maybe perfect angle to hit the corner glass from the gravel or brass. sucks. $80 later, its as good as new.

zagg invisibleshield is the best!

But with screens now being made of Corning G, Eagle Glass, Ionized Glass and sapphire who needs a screen protector. Most of those materials are highly scratch resistant.

Question?

What glass do they use when replacing a broken screen? OEM or some cheap borosilicate glass?

zagg invisibleshield is the best!

But with screens now being made of Corning G, Eagle Glass, Ionized Glass and sapphire who needs a screen protector. Most of those materials are highly scratch resistant.

Question?

What glass do they use when replacing a broken screen? OEM or some cheap borosilicate glass?

On any sort of replacement screen I have always gotten cheap (I guess borosilicate) glass, it's never been the good stuff. But thats just me maybe others have had better luck.