Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a re-location, where to?

Hi,

So my wife and I are considering a relocation to another state. We currently live in Minnesota and I feel that we have a very well crafted CCW laws here. Posted signs don't have the force of law, open carry, we are not required to inform LEO's unless directly asked, and I can carry pretty much anywhere that's not federally restricted, and some judicial order courthouses. Some of the things I don't like: No stand your ground, castle doctrine, suppressors, and MG's are tightly restricted to a published allow list. We am sick of the winter, politics, and the taxes of the state. I am self employed and my wife can get a job almost anywhere so i'm open for suggestions!

We are looking at Texas, but I find the CCW laws kind of suck compared to MN (which is a bit shocking to me).

Any thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd certainly vote for Texas - don't go to Austin as it's probably the most liberal area in State. They banned all gun shows in the city limits. You have to get a concealed carry license but it's probably as good as anywhere except Vermont. They have few - if any - gun laws - but - thats offset with the cold weather, and no chili. Lots of places to shoot, most types of matches available pretty much all over the State. Did I mention the weather, chili and B-B-Q yet ??

If you like it hot, Arizona.

I'm actually considering southern Utah when we retire in a couple of years. Close to a bunch of National parks,

couple of hours to Las Vegas. If Oregon gets much more liberal Utah starts looking better!

There's only one place you should consider and that is the Gunshine State. But not Disney or North Cuba. I'm in Jacksonville Beach Florida and it's a military city on the ocean and on the border of Georgia. We have Stand Your Ground (see George Zimmerman), the Castle Doctrine, and the highest number of CCW permits in the country. The Duval County Sheriffs Department encourages Jacksonville citizens to carry.

I have 6 matches a month that are local to us to choose from. I live at the beach and am 25 minutes from watching NFL games live. We have hot summers and moderate winters (you may have to wear a sweater) but the sea breeze cools things down here at the beach. Real estate is still an amazing value. Best of all, you get to have the best Realtor/shooter in the area show you around and introduce you to everyone.

Edited by Lifeislarge

We have the castle doctrine here in Ohio. Please post a picture of your wife. :D

Isn't Ohio the state that considers a loaded magazine a weapon?
California considers a bad attitude a concealed weapon. I know because I always have one. Edited by bountyhunter

Only two states to consider:

Florida

Arizona :cheers:

Florida is pretty good, my brother lives there. They had pretty restrictive laws until the Mariel "boatlift" when Jimmy Carter invited Castro to empty his prisons and insane asylums at the expense of Florida. The crime rates went up so much they started opening up the weapons laws. Edited by bountyhunter

According to a article in a Gun magazine the top 5 states for over all laws on CCW, suppressers, full autos , was Arizona 1st, Georgia 2nd, Alaska 3rd, Utah 4th and I have already forgot the 5 one ,but I think it was one of the Dakotas.

for what it is worth on gun friendly places.

If you like it hot, Arizona.

I'm actually considering southern Utah when we retire in a couple of years. Close to a bunch of National parks,

couple of hours to Las Vegas. If Oregon gets much more liberal Utah starts looking better!

I was thinking about southern Utah, it's very beautiful there. Not sure how we'd feel about the religious climate there.

Alabama is pretty gun friendly, suppressors, MGs, SBRs (just recently), Concealed carry w/license, Castle Doctrine. The middle part of the state has several ranges and matches.

Hurley

I'll throw in a votre for Alabama, specificall the Huntsville area. In addition to the gun freiendly laws of AL, Huntsville area has pots of shooting games (USPSA, IDPA, Speed Steel, Cowboy, various rifle games, and more, much more) and is a short drive to MANY, MANY others. Plus, it is a very tech friendly area with lots of tech jobs and more every year. For cities of its size, Huntsvuille is often in the top 10 of just about any poll.

Winter weather can be on the cool side, but not many days below freezing and very, very little snow (less than an inch once every 3-4 years).

IF you really looking for a move, you should at least look at the area.

+1 for Huntsville, AL. One of it's suburbs (Madison) has one of the top rated High Schools in the country, if you've got kids.
On top of that, Huntsville was also rated one of the top-5 gun friendly cities in the country.

Have to check Huntsville out. I spent a deployment with the Red Cross for hurricane Ivan in Alabama, some beautiful country. I was a disaster assessment officer for that one, got to drive around 1800 miles in AL in: Washington, Clarke, Marengo, Choctaw, Sumter, Clarke, and Monroe counties. We were based out of Montgomery. Is it pretty different that far north?

Have to check Huntsville out. I spent a deployment with the Red Cross for hurricane Ivan in Alabama, some beautiful country. I was a disaster assessment officer for that one, got to drive around 1800 miles in AL in: Washington, Clarke, Marengo, Choctaw, Sumter, Clarke, and Monroe counties. We were based out of Montgomery. Is it pretty different that far north?

In short yes. The terrain is different. Proximity to larger cities is better (more of them). Huntsville is becoming a major tech center with about a dozen colleges and universities with a presence. While I don't feel the winters are harsh, you do get a sense of four different seasons. I grew up in NW FL and had a couple military tours in NW FL / SE AL and there winter occurred between Monday and Thursday of the 2nd week in Jan. You knew that because it wasn't too hot to wear long pants.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I'll echo that northern/northeastern Alabama is a fantastic area for shooting sports. You can easily drive to Birmingham and shoot a different sport every Saturday and Sunday of the month if you wanted. Rocket City Practical Shooters and Brock's Gap are two of the big ranges that put on a multitude of matches.

Alabama also just allowed suppressor usage to hunt, so that is a plus in my book. You can get 5 year permits at the sheriff's office.

Terrain is more "mountainous" in the northeastern part of the state, though some will call our mountains hills. You can search for Desoto State Park, Desoto Falls, Little River Canyon, Little River Falls, and Cathedral Caverns if you enjoy the great outdoors.