Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Thin grips

waktasz

I fondled the Stock 2 of a friend who had the Xtreme aluminum grips and I really liked how it thinned the gun down on the right side, but didn't like how it didn't leave as much for my left hand to hold on to so I set out to modify the spare set of wood grips that Kahai808 so graciously sent me (thanks buddy!)

The left side grip panel I already had done a silicon carbide grit job on using epoxy, but I wanted to thin it down where my fingers wrapped around. On the right side panel I worked with the dremel to get the whole panel thinner, and really tried to thin the edges as much as possible to replicate the feel of the Xtreme grips. I hit it with some Krylon ultra flat black afterwards and I think it came out awesome.

grips.jpg

grips1.jpg

grips2.jpg

grips3.jpg

grips4.jpg

I felt the same way about the thin aluminum grip. I can't get a good grip with the support hand. The stock wood grips are to fat. I want something right in between the two.

I actually had the same idea about sanding down the wood grips. But I was going to make it symmetrical. You made yours thin on the right and thick on the left side? Does that screw up your indexing?

Well maybe you could put the aluminum on the right and the wood on the left. Lol....

That way you can look sharp when the gun is holstered at the match with that sexy eric grufell grip on the outside. ;)

I don't mind the width of the wood grips but I wanted a vz super scoop type mag release channel. I spent a little bit of time and modeled the grip and printed a set. They turned out okay but the back angled edge was a little short so they didn't lock in tight. One of these days I'll fix it and try running a set with ABS plastic.

I wish we had VZ grip option for these things...

post-40879-0-75870800-1408146258_thumb.j

I wonder if there is a way to build up the EG grips. I should that if epoxy is used, will it stick or just peel off?

You definitely could. That stuff isn't going anywhere. I don't think I would spend $120 on grips then gunk them up right away though, that's why I did this.

I'm working on sanding down the original wood grips. I tried to incorporate a thumb channel for the mag catch....... we'll see.....

me too, I'll have the same problem any pic please which part are u sanding , from the inside or outside, regarding grips , how the original ones compare to eric grauffel ones

thanks

andre

I felt the same way about the thin aluminum grip. I can't get a good grip with the support hand. The stock wood grips are to fat. I want something right in between the two.

I actually had the same idea about sanding down the wood grips. But I was going to make it symmetrical. You made yours thin on the right and thick on the left side? Does that screw up your indexing?

I'm not sure if he sells them anymore, but henning's grips are right between the two. They are perfect size IMHO. Is he still making these?

I already put grip tape on there but I think you can see the thumb relief....

f6c4c084ce40f0cb29f53eb0a01f62e7.jpg7582ba2d36fa6248796e1ad2824eb2eb.jpgfe6f86abf5bf59e24dfcfad84fdaace0.jpg

I can't tell if you can see it or not. I'm using my cell. Made a big difference in getting on the button though.

Edited by 3djedi

• 1 month later...

TDH - how have the makerbot grips held up? The makerbot guys have a display at Home Depot, I quizzed the guy a little on what do people use these for. (My daughter wants to replicate Pokemon with one). He said top use probably was folks prototyping gun parts with it. Interesting, not sure that could be true, there are almost no conversations on Enos about makerbot :-)