Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds thru your Nordic Barrel?

B45C22

I have had one for three years +/- and have approximately 5000 rounds through it. It used to hold under an inch with Sierra 69gr bullets and Tac. I could get hits out to 5-600 easily. I had trouble zeroing it last trip so I mounted another scope and tried again. No luck. It isn't holding a 4" group at 100 now. I tried the same loads in my backup rifle (same type of barrel, only newer) and was easily getting hits out to 500 with a burris 4x scope (used bushnell 1-6.5 and a swaro on the other one)

The only thing that I have changed was the stock. Went from an ace to a Tac Mod. I swapped back to the ace and am going to mount a high magnification scope on it when I get back out to really do some testing.

I removed the comp and checked the crown and it is only barely dirty at this point. I had cleaned the barrel well before each outing.

What are your thoughts? Why the accuracy deterioration so quickly?

How many rounds did you fire after cleaning the barrel and in the course of zeroing? I have had rifles that shot consistently while fouled and a super clean bore would upset things until I got it 'dirty' again.

If you have already tried multiple optics, I am otherwise stumped. 5k shouldn't toast a barrel...... depending on rate of fire.

"Why the accuracy deterioration so quickly?"

Some barrel do, some barrels don't. 5000 rounds isn't exactly a small amount, but it is what that particular barrel had in it. It,s cooked. I had one from a real high end maker that had less than that on it and when it got warm wouldn't even hit a full sized IPSC metric target at 100 yes, but would group well for the first 3 shots.

Best advice you will get today on your barrel. Quit wasting ammo and time on it trying to get it to shoot. Get a new barrel.

Edited by kurtm

A buddy was ranting on FB about his Nordic wandering badly when it got hot, to the point of not being able to hit 10" plates at 200 yds. That's all I know. Like Kurt said, get another barrel and don't waste any more time on that one.

Red Barn Armory
Special Buy on RBA 16" M4 Profile 5.56 Carbine Barrels
Save $100 bucks off retail price! Now just $69.95
(save another $10 when purchased in combination with any in-stock hand guard**)
I haven't seen a barrel this cheap ever. I don't know a thing about them, but it would almost be worth a try at that price. Even though I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

Thermal drift is primarily due to the barrel contour or the installation. Barrel torque and extension fit to the receiver is very important. The Nordic contour is solid and does not suffer from significant thermal drift. I have had 3 people with Nordics, and others with other brands, send me there upper, I reinstalled the barrel and eliminated the thermal drift.

3 rounds and drifting is certainly not a barrel unless it is a pencil thin.

Use of slower powders, especially with light bullets will wear the barrel faster. Many barrels get gas port erosion before any other significant wear and that can damage the bullets causing groups to open up.

Red Barn Armory
Special Buy on RBA 16" M4 Profile 5.56 Carbine Barrels

Save $100 bucks off retail price! Now just $69.95
(save another $10 when purchased in combination with any in-stock hand guard**)
I haven't seen a barrel this cheap ever. I don't know a thing about them, but it would almost be worth a try at that price. Even though I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.
Link to this barrel? I went to their website and couldn't find it.
Thanks, gerritm

I have had one for three years +/- and have approximately 5000 rounds through it. It used to hold under an inch with Sierra 69gr bullets and Tac. I could get hits out to 5-600 easily. I had trouble zeroing it last trip so I mounted another scope and tried again. No luck. It isn't holding a 4" group at 100 now. I tried the same loads in my backup rifle (same type of barrel, only newer) and was easily getting hits out to 500 with a burris 4x scope (used bushnell 1-6.5 and a swaro on the other one)

The only thing that I have changed was the stock. Went from an ace to a Tac Mod. I swapped back to the ace and am going to mount a high magnification scope on it when I get back out to really do some testing.

I removed the comp and checked the crown and it is only barely dirty at this point. I had cleaned the barrel well before each outing.

Have you shot any bi metal bullets through it? Wears barrels quickly.

Pat

Thermal drift is primarily due to the barrel contour or the installation. Barrel torque and extension fit to the receiver is very important. The Nordic contour is solid and does not suffer from significant thermal drift. I have had 3 people with Nordics, and others with other brands, send me there upper, I reinstalled the barrel and eliminated the thermal drift.

3 rounds and drifting is certainly not a barrel unless it is a pencil thin.

Use of slower powders, especially with light bullets will wear the barrel faster. Many barrels get gas port erosion before any other significant wear and that can damage the bullets causing groups to open up.

That's interesting to read. I just replaced my barrel due to excessive drift. Old barrel would shift POI 4"s down and 2"s right in 15 rounds fired as quick as I could get good aimed shots at 100. Did the same test with the new barrel, except I fired 30 rounds, and saw no noticeable drift. Old barrel was CHF chrome lined, and the new one is Stainless. I did have mine professionally installed though.

To clarify, Mark, it didn't "drift" after 3 shots. It would group sub m.o.a. when cold. Once it got warm to the touch it would SCATTER shots like a buckshot pattern. At 50 yards it would use an entire Metric target, 16-18" groups. Sent it back and they said on the scope it doesn't look bad at all and I was doing sanything wrong. I told them to screw it on an upper and try it. To their credit they did, and the next day called and said they had never seen a barrel do that before....3728 rounds on it.

Get a new barrel!

New barrel on order. Not Nordic this time. Going with JP for the next one.

Thanks guys.

I believe JP gets thier barrels from the same place Nordic does, Wilson Arms. What they do with the stock barrel (contour, cryo) is obviously their own.

No, I haven't contacted them. I haven't done enough testing to concretely conclude that the barrel is indeed shot out. If it is, I'm still not sure it is their problem if it is. As evidenced by this thread, some barrels just last longer then others. 5000 rounds s a bit early but not early enough to expect them to do anything about it.

I didn't realize JP used Wilson arms barrels.

I have had one for three years +/- and have approximately 5000 rounds through it...

Did you take any classes with it? Like doing 600-800 rounds in a couple of hours?

Did you practice with it? Like 200 rounds in an a 1/2 - 1 hour?

No and no. The most I fired at one time was heli hogging. About 200 rounds in 2.5-3 hours. But that was only twice over a two year period.

Edited by B45C22

Have you loaded this ammo recently?

The reason I'm asking is that I don't know if I have a bum lot of TAC or if my nordic barrel doesn't like TAC, but I was having accuracy issues with my new barrel, trying all sorts of bullets and charges, all with TAC. Then I decided to use the same match bullets with 4 different powders I've had about the house, and Varget, BL-C2 and, 748 were all grouping roughly half of what TAC was.

I dunno way, but I'm not curious enough, find out, different powder it is.

With my highpower barrels I was lucky to get 3500-4000 rds. This was a 20" Krieger. Most barrels dont last as long as Kriegers will. This is all for NRA highpower which requires more accuracy then for 3 GUN. In general: Cut rifle barrels last longer then button rifle barrels, Benchrest barrels with shallow groves don't last as long as others, Chrome lined or CHF barrels will generally not shoot as well but be a little more consistent longer then a quality barrel.

• 1 month later...