Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM Would you buy one?

JimmyZip

I started off with a Glock 34 for all the typical reasons. Its a great pistol, but I was never in love with the grip. I'd seen the XDM 5.25 before, but I never thought I'd get one...the look didn't appeal to me. But then I found a great deal on one and after ready lots of positive reviews, I decided to give it a chance for IDPA, USPSA, Steel and 3gun matches. I loved the shape of the grip, just not the waffle texturing and the trigger was so-so stock. BUT...once a installed the PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit in it and a Talon rubber texture wrap grip tape...shazam! That XDM became my favorate pistol. Theh red fiber front sight and adjustable rear sight which came with it have been excellent. I see lots of guys shooting matches using it. If your wife likes it, I would encourage getting one of the XDM models for her...but you may find yourself liking it too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would definetly recommend a Springfield XDm. Have a 5.25 Comp in .40 that has been great for getting started in USPSA competition. I enjoyed running it in production, Limited 10 and Limited (easy to change divisions with very minor mods - mostly mag changes). I have since acquired an STI Edge as my Limited gun and have the XDm with lots of extras (as a comp ready package) up on Calguns forum if anybody is interested.

Edited by kalaikanui

• 3 weeks later...

I was a die hard all steel pistol fan and it was .45 or nothing. As ammo prices went up and my income went down shooting .45 as often as i wanted to shoot to get good was just not an option so i started looking for a 9mm pistol and was mostly looking cz. And stupid as it sounds had bad mouthed plastic pistols all my life (combat tuperware ect...) well i felt having never owned one and bad mouthing them i was a hipocrit so while i wanted a custom cz and could not get my hands on one at the time i decided to get an xdm 5.25 in 9mm to try out the plastic guns. So i could justify my calling them junk i figured i would test it hate it and sell it when i got a cz or another 1911 variant. I bought it cleaned the gun of all the factory crap and lubed it. Figured i would shoot it till it failed and then clean it. Well 1000 rounds in and it was still flawless so i cleaned it and repeated ...... so far 5550rnds throught it with only 2 failures and both were bad ammo 1light charge did not fully cycle the slide and one deformed bullet would not chamber. Well i was wrong about plastic guns and the xdm in perticular. Never did buy the cz and i love my xdm. It has been the most accurate reliable fun to shoot pistol i have ever tryed. Also most of my friends shoot it better then they can shoot their own guns it shoots easy and will make you look good. Sorry about the long story but thats my story and i would tell anyone to buy an xdm you wont be sorry.[emoji2]

Edited by mrgoodwrench

Were you shooting the Xdm or Xd? Very different grip in my opinion. I had quite a bit of experience with the XD45 and bought a XDm40 5.25. The Xdm cramped my hand and felt very different shooting that the XD. Obviously everyone is different, but that was my experience.

Best recommendation would be to try everything you are interested in that fits your budget. If you are focused on competitive shooting, you may want to determine what division & sport you plan on shooting. Generally speaking the plastic guns are competitive in 9mm, and the XDM fits well into production, SSP, & ESP. The only drawback for the XDM against similar competitors (Glock / M&P) is the size of the factory magwell, beyond that everything else is personal preference. The XDM won't make you a better shooter, but it won't hold you back either.

I've got at least 30,000 rounds through mine and really only had one problem with a small chip in the slide at the slide lock. They fixed it for free and got it back to me quickly. It seemed to be more accurate when it came back...

I did the trigger job from Springer myself. At the time they did not provide any information on where to take off the material to make the necessary adjustments, so it was a bit of trial and error. Fortunately I have a welder in my shop that was able to add a little material back a part that I screwed up... The trigger stops right as the striker is released and I think it may be causing be problems when I'm shooting fast (at least that's my excuse de jour)... Since I don't know what an outstanding trigger job looks like, it's hard for me to know if I have it right. I think I'll post a video and maybe someone will have an opinion. I would find someone who has done a trigger job on an XDM and let them explain the different adjustments. It's not difficult, but a little tedious. Or just have Springer do it for you.

Other than Talon grips, Trigger kit, reduced recoil/striker spring, and the Springer tungsten weight/spring kit thingy, it's stock.... I guess that only leaves the Dawson front sight.

It's my only gun, so I need to start a PM program to prevent breakdowns during a match. I'll probably start a thread on that one.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an xd and xdm. Maybe 2 1/2 lb trigger, Dawson sites tungsten guide rod. I'm thinking of selling both because I don't like the trigger pull. I would rather more of a 1911 trigger pull. I think I slap the trigger too much on the xd and xdm.

I feel the same way about the trigger. I mentioned in another thread that a friend has a CZ shadow with the super awesom trigger. He handed it to me ( unloaded ) and I pulled the trigger.... I'll never be the same again. I've got to figure out a way to get my hands on one. $$$$$

I love my XDM, and actually went out yesterday and did a big practice and was really happy with the results, but the thought of having a gun where you just put your finger on the trigger and it goes bang is very appealing. I feel like I'm spending way too much effort learning how to manipulate the XDM's trigger just right. He said he'd let me shoot it sometime. "JOHN YOU SAID YOU'D LET MY SHOOT IT SOME TIME..... IM GOIG ON 53 YEARS OLD for cryin out loud....

I'll be shooting old faithful for a while. I actually epoxy Talon grips the the removable back strap to keep them from slipping off. You should see where I've worn holes in the grip tape. I'm getting my money's worth out of them. The XDM is a real work horse.

I have a couple friends steering me toward a CZ SP01 shadow custom. Either that or I really need to fix the way I squeeze that xdm trigger.

The trigger on a XDm will never be in the realm of a really good 1911 trigger, but they can be made VERY good. Something a lot of shooters don't think about, especially if they're not competitive shooters, is a triggers reset. With a good trigger with a short reset, it's more a matter of practice than anything. With a short/fast reset it's a matter of training yourself to just let the trigger travel forward enough after a shot to just reset. That stops a tendency to slap at the trigger and greatly improves accuracy on follow up shots. My son and I own several XD's and XDm's and have triggers from PRP and Springer Precision. A trigger done by a good gunsmith that knows the platform makes a tremendous difference. Based on personal experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PRP or Springer. Scott Springer is a mad genius when it comes to these guns and is pretty much my go to guy for all of our now. He has a great bunch of folks working with him and they are all top notch.

Get a good trigger and then practice,practice, practice.