Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 40 pistol alternatives

Bart Solo

Last winter I experimented with a Glock 35 in Limited. I found that I love the S&W 40 caliber. I just can't stand the Glock trigger. I need something in a 2011 platform. Both the STI Eagle and Edge come in 40 S&W. Are there any quirks with either. Should I get the gun tuned from the get go. Are there other good 40 S&W choices?

I discovered that I am far more accurate with my lowly Springfield GI (used in SASS Wild Bunch) than I am with the Glock 35. Think about that, a straight vanilla bare bones 1911 is more accurate than a Glock allegedly designed for competition. The big difference is the trigger, and the Springfield isn't the best triggered 1911 I own, not even close. You might say that we are action shooters so accuracy isn't all that important. I say if I can't rely on the gun to shoot straight, I will never shoot fast. I think the Glock is going to be retired. Home defense might be its best role.

The first issue is Eagle or Edge. Right now I am leaning Edge. Then who do I buy from and do I have the smith tune it first. Then I need to learn about mags and mag tuning. Nearly all problems I have encountered with the 1911 platform are mag related.

For my Edge, I had a 3# trigger done.

For mags, I use STI tubes, either Dawson +1 or Taran Tactical basepads, and Grams 11 coil springs and followers. I get 20 reloadable in every mag and I did absolutely zero mag tuning.

Really don't kneed anything other than that except skills.

I think the Edge is the best gun for Limited in USPSA. Simple, goes BANG every time and is probably more accurate than the shooter is 99% of the time.

I say if I can't rely on the gun to shoot straight, I will never shoot fast. I think the Glock is going to be retired. Home defense might be its best role.

I don't know if I'd trust my life to a gun I don't trust at a match... :ph34r: Sell the plastic fantastic and never look back :cheers:

Have you ever tried a CZ75 pattern pistol? The Tactical Sport by CZ or the Limited by EAA/Tanfoglio are excellent choices and fantastic values when compared to 2011s if you ask me.

Get a Dawson CRP or Brazos HP. You can get the 4 pack of tuned mags from Brazos for $100 each with gun purchase - normally $150. It will cost you $100/mag to buy the parts and put it together yourself and his are tuned.

Dawson has a run of hard chromed CRP's for $2,340 btw.

I discovered that I am far more accurate with my lowly Springfield GI (used in SASS Wild Bunch) than I am with the Glock 35. Think about that, a straight vanilla bare bones 1911 is more accurate than a Glock allegedly designed for competition. The big difference is the trigger

It sure is.

If you want the best value, I'd say the high performance edge from brazos. Then buy the 4 pack of tuned mags from them and call it a day.

This is exactly what I did. Brazos HP Edge with his tuned mags. It has run solid since March of 2013 and is a great place to start.

Get a Dawson CRP or Brazos HP. You can get the 4 pack of tuned mags from Brazos for $100 each with gun purchase - normally $150. It will cost you $100/mag to buy the parts and put it together yourself and his are tuned.

I am thinking one of these choices. My question is bling factor aside what is the reason for chrome plating on the Edge? It is a $300 option after all.

Hard chrome is an exceptionally durable finish.

I thought that eventually hard chrome will have issues with the underlying steel. That is why you don't find many surviving chrome plated 19th century pistols on the antique market. On the otherhand I would be buying with the idea of wearing the pistol out in my lifetime, not to be some sort of heirloom.

Life's too short to shoot a gun you don't like. Save up, sell a kidney, forego some other luxuries, and buy a 2011. The hardchrome on a gun won't make you a better shooter, though it will provide a measure of protection against the elements and make cleaning the gun much easier.

That said, I personally prefer defering on any expensive finishes until I am sure I will not be hacking on the slide/frame to remove any sharp edges or other protrusions that I don't like, lighten the slide, etc. My first 2011 was a used Eagle that I bought here. I ran that gun for a couple of years before getting into custom built guns. No regrets and I still have that Eagle.

I am thinking one of these choices. My question is bling factor aside what is the reason for chrome plating on the Edge? It is a $300 option after all.

On that CRP chrome Edge deal you are basically getting the CRP package ($2,140) with the chrome upgrade for $200 instead of $300.

On that CRP chrome Edge deal you are basically getting the CRP package ($2,140) with the chrome upgrade for $200 instead of $300.

The hard chrome is for durability not for bling.

I say if I can't rely on the gun to shoot straight, I will never shoot fast. I think the Glock is going to be retired. Home defense might be its best role.

I don't know if I'd trust my life to a gun I don't trust at a match... :ph34r: Sell the plastic fantastic and never look back :cheers:

Have you ever tried a CZ75 pattern pistol? The Tactical Sport by CZ or the Limited by EAA/Tanfoglio are excellent choices and fantastic values when compared to 2011s if you ask me.

I was hoping this question had been asked. I bought my CZ Tactical Sport .40 a couple of wks ago. Twice, I have been at the safe table getting ready and inquired about this or that shiny, tricked out 2011. We swap , take turns comparing a dry fire and TWICE I have all but been accused of lying when I insist the trigger on my TS has not been reworked, lol. I love the look on their faces when I say "yup, I think it is the best grand I ever spent."

Edited by Quackhead

I have a TS and 1911 in .40 S&W. Both are super fun pistols to shoot. The TS has needed less customizing from the beginning, has a better trigger than most guns in its price range and also has great ergonomics.

• 3 weeks later...

I discovered that I am far more accurate with my lowly Springfield GI (used in SASS Wild Bunch) than I am with the Glock 35. Think about that, a straight vanilla bare bones 1911 is more accurate than a Glock allegedly designed for competition.

I have to ask: is this with or without a Ghost Rocket in it? Edited by yellowfin

Hard chrome is an exceptionally durable finish.

I thought that eventually hard chrome will have issues with the underlying steel. That is why you don't find many surviving chrome plated 19th century pistols on the antique market. On the otherhand I would be buying with the idea of wearing the pistol out in my lifetime, not to be some sort of heirloom.

The pistols you speak of were not finished in hard chrome, they were nickel plated.

The first thing you might want to do is shoot some of the options available. Personally the edge feels like swinging a turd on the end of a stick. There are several options other than the default sti response. Tanfoglio, CZ, Para/Springfield, SV, and the polymer framed guns XDm and M&P.

Rich