Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 986 7 shot 9mm with moon clips

stuart1

The 986, as noted, can play well in ICORE, but is really best in Steel Challenge. You can also play USPSA Revolver Minor, but since most arrays require double taps the extra round can mess up a shot plan, so you'll likely be reloading after 6 anyway.

A 7 shot gun suffers the same ills in ICORE as an 'odd round count gun' does in USPSA. But, with the six shot neutral Rule it is not a disadvantage. If, in an ICORE match, you have a long steel array, that 7 shot gun gives you one extra miss you don't have to worry about. It can be an advantage in that situation, but 'not so much' on paper.

That is the same situation you find in Steel Challenge, as Gregg K pointed out. You have five targets in an array. With a six shot revo will have to slow down after your first miss or face a reload on the clock. With a 7 shooter you don't have to slow after the first miss because you have that one extra round. It can make a difference and a 7 shoot revo can be an ADVANTAGE in Steel Challenge, while it is not a DISADVANTAGE in ICORE.

If you like the gun "go forth and play" :cheers:.

It's a huge disadvantage against other 8 shot guns. There are times where you reload in between arrays and there are times when you don't. Any time you carry shots over, you're at a disadvantage. You're at a capacity disadvantage and a mental disadvantage because your plans are going to be more complicated since you have to remember what target you shot with one round. OP, the 7 shot gun would be best suited for plate matches or Steel Challenge, but the difference between the L and the N frame versus an extra bullet capacity...go for the extra round.

I didn't see too many spots where a 7 shot would have been a disadvantage at the IRC. More people had a harder time trying to break down the 6 round arrays by using all 8 rounds.

And a 6 shooter finished 9th, I don't think he was at a disadvantage.

It's a huge disadvantage against other 8 shot guns. There are times where you reload in between arrays and there are times when you don't. Any time you carry shots over, you're at a disadvantage. You're at a capacity disadvantage and a mental disadvantage because your plans are going to be more complicated since you have to remember what target you shot with one round. OP, the 7 shot gun would be best suited for plate matches or Steel Challenge, but the difference between the L and the N frame versus an extra bullet capacity...go for the extra round.

Very rarely have I been to an ICORE match where a 6 shooter was at a disadvantage. The rulebook even says 6 shot neutral stages...

USPSA/IPSC is a very different story.

The OP can decide for himself. More ammo is always better than less ammo. If 6 shooters were always equal in Limited, wouldn't more people be running them? Why would you want to potentially end an array with one shot on a target and have to memorize a stage plan to accommodate this happening multiple times? It makes no sense. I think the 7 shot gun is mostly a novelty. They probably had tooling left over from all the 686+s and figured they could sell a 9mm version as an additional model type.

MWP - Josh Lentz is an exceptional shooter. If he shot an 8 shot gun, he would not have been in 9th place. Josh shoots SSR in IDPA. If I gave him a snub nose Taurus 5 shot gun, I'm sure he'd beat a lot of SSR shooters. Would the logical conclusion be that the 5 shot gun is an optimal choice for IDPA? The whole ICORE 6 shot neutral thing is supposed to make sure a 6 shot gun can complete any given stage without a ton of difficulty. That does not mean that every stage is going to have identical opportunity to an 8 shot gun.

ICORE does have a 6 shot neutral rule but even then I have seen stages that favor an 8 shooter. All a 7 shooter in ICORE is going to do is to allow you to miss once and in ICORE you can't be missing anyway so for me in ICORE if you are going to carry more than 6 it would be best to go to the 8 shooter.

Regardless, I think 8 shot is, and will be, the most popular gun for limited, being 6 neutral or not.

I come up to a plate rack or Texas star at 15+ yards or something I'd rather have the extra shots.

I do agree that Josh us a monster with the 6, and anything else you give him. And I also think that the 8 is the way to go. I just think the 7 is ok for ICORE as well, it keeps the stage plan simple and allows a make up shot.

But you guys are right, I wouldn't field one. The only person I talked to about one said they just didn't like the N frame weight.

The 986 is a strange animal. I'm surprised they didn't just do a 5" 8 shot. Even the 686+ makes more sense as a home defense gun, a spare round with full house ammo.

The 7 shot has some room in ICORE and is fine for steel plate games. For ICORE you plan like you have a 6 shooter and have the 7th for make-up shots. The extra shot is a lot better than a C or a miss with a 6 shot and having to either eat the penalty or an extra reload. Stages are supposed to be 6 shot neutral, though the are not always. But even in stages that save a reload with an 8-shot I have seen guys take odd paths and extra time just to squeeze those extra 2 rounds out and save a reload instead of shooting 6 dropping 2 live rounds. If the opportunity is there to save a reload and gain time with an 8-shot, great. But you shouldn't be forcing yourself to shoot all eight just because you have them.

There are ICORE stages where a shooter with an 8 shot gun can engage another target that's visible, sometimes saving a reload or some movement. Some stages there is no advantage. The 7 shooters will be competing against the 8 shooters though. Mark

I shoot an open 8 shot. ICORE paper stages I usually break everything in 6 shot arrays, it's just easier to keep on track and prevents standing reloads. 8 shot's do have an advantage on steel stages such as the star. Just my opinion. If your are moving most likely will be reloading.

So if 7 is good.... 8 must be better.

7 is just an odd number to have, I really dont see the point in it, unless you really prefer the feel of a K frame over an N frame and dont compete with it