Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Revolver for IDPA Stock Service Revolver Division

mcb

So none of my Revolvers (except my J-frame) are IDPA legal. All of them have 5+ inch barrels. This needs to be fixed (ie need an excuse to buy a new revolver). I feel like doing it the extra hard way and shoot SSR division with speed loaders. If you where going to buy a revolver for SSR division what would you guys buy?

Part of me wants to just pick up one of the police trade in S&W Model 64 from J&G, This would certainly be the economical route. Another part of me wants to look at a Ruger GP100 or SP101. What other good option should I look at?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about fixing up a GP100 for ICORE classic. The double action pull cleans up pretty well.

I am intrigued by the Rugers, but I wonder will they hold up the way my S&W have?

S&W 686...easy choice! The heavier L-frame just shoots great for me.

I suspect this the 686 will feel most like my 625 and 627 I am shooting presently in USPSA.

I've thought about fixing up a GP100 for ICORE classic. The double action pull cleans up pretty well.

I am intrigued by the Rugers, but I wonder will they hold up the way my S&W have?

Rugers are stronger guns than the Smiths, the only drawback I see is the coil spring on the hammer may take a little more work to tune.

I've never shot a Ruger that had a trigger even remotely close to the smoothness on my Smiths. I'm not saying it can't somehow be done, but I've never seen one and I've shot quite a few.

Part of me wants to just pick up one of the police trade in S&W Model 64 from J&G, This would certainly be the economical route.

I like this idea, actually. There's something extra fun about beating a bunch of people with an old beater gun like that!

One thing to consider--the 64s have silver-colored sights. Unless you want to constantly be dicking around with sight black or a carbide lamp, you might want to look for a Model 10, 13, 15, etc. instead.

I've never shot a Ruger that had a trigger even remotely close to the smoothness on my Smiths. I'm not saying it can't somehow be done, but I've never seen one and I've shot quite a few.

The hammer dog (double action sear) is usually over fit from the factory leaving a "hump" in the middle of the trigger pull. A properly fit hammer dog can address this.

I shoot a 10-6 the times I shoot SSR. I'm with Carmoney, running an old police/security trade in or used K frame has a certain satisfaction to it in SSR. Also its a cheap way to get set up for SSR. I got the 10-6 for 300 bucks a year or so ago then picked up a holster and comp IIIs with the discount card I got for holsters.com from joining IDPA. Started in SSR for about 400 bucks give or take.

Edited by Akacala

Since the GP-100 was mentioned in previous posts, I'd like to share a few thoughts on my experiences with that gun.

A Ruger can be tuned to a very nice & smooth 8-pound DA pull... but not a lot below that. A bit of polishing on the internals and a Wilson Combat Spring kit (#8 return and #9 mainspring) will do it (and mine will even light off CCI primers). I have been shooting a 4.2 inch in IDPA (SSR EX) since 2006. I find that the Ruger is significantly more accurate with 158 grain lead bullets than the current crop of S&W 686 (which I was shooting before I switched to Ruger). The difference with the same load from a 25 yard bench rest firing a full six round cylinder group is 2.5 inch for the Ruger and approaching 4 inch for the 686 that I had. Other 686 guns may be better, but mine wasn't.

I put about 35,000 rounds through the 4.2 Ruger (some old +P 125 PF IDPA loads, and after the PF reduction the rest were about 115 PF) before it went out of time. It went back to Ruger, and two weeks later it was back. New barrel, complete re-blue, re-timed, and back to 2.5 inch groups.

I have a 6 inch GP-100 set up for ICORE with .38 LC cases (the ejector rod stroke completely clears 38LC from the gun) and with the 147 grain .357 Xtreme plated bullets I'm using it's about a 2 inch gun from a 25 yard bench, with the same 8 pound DA pull. I don't shoot ICORE that often, but I have yet to be beaten in Classic Division in FL. That 6 inch Ruger is a total Alpha machine.

The factory rear Ruger sight is not my favorite. Bowen makes a Rough Country rear sit that pops into place and is awesome. The interchangeable front sight system is, IMHO, one of the best and sturdiest in the industry. Hi-Viz makes a drop in FO front that is also awesome. Both of my guns are set up the same way on sights, and trigger work. I did polish the chambers, but with RN lead or plated did not feel the need to chamber.

You can set up the standard GP-100 pretty easily. They are a very solid and accurate gun. I'm very happy with mine.

First up thanks for all the great feedback. I am starting to look for some deals. J&G has Model 64s police trade ins for $359-$399. That seems a touch steep but does anyone know of other sources of similar police trade in revolvers for a better deal? If I can do this on the cheap I will catch less flack from the wife. That said I am going to stop at the LFGS and fondle some Rugers after work today.

I've gotten several good ex-police guns form J&G and used them for SSR...a NYPD DAO Model 64, and a Model 67 from an unknown agency. I did trigger jobs on them and they both run great. Although my favorite for SSR is my Model 19, which I've got tuned a little better than any of my other K-frames at this point, and has a FO front sight swapped in. Some K-frames have pinned front sights, which makes it easier to replace the front sight with a FO sight, if you like FO. I think the 686 SSR has a "quick change" front sight that is easier to swap sights on than a pinned front sight.

I get the impression it is not so easy to get your hands on action parts to swap into Rugers. Gunbroker and ebay are awash in parts and pieces for S&W revolvers.

Edited by johnmac

So I stopped at my FLGS and they had two used S&W Model 10s both heavy barrel versions.

One was an older 10-6 with modest finish wear on the bluing but otherwise in good condition, no appreciable end-shake and the timing seemed good. The trigger was pretty smooth.

The second one was a 10-11. The finish was in excellent condition, very dark blueing, and only a little finish wear at the muzzle. Again no end-shake and good timing. The trigger was not quite a smooth and a touch heavier.

The 10-6 has a hammer firing pin, the 10-11 had a transfer firing pin and I think might have MIM parts. He is asking the same $325 for either. Which one would you pick and why? or would you keep looking?

Get the one with the frame mounted firing pin. Easier to deal with if the pin breaks. Better resale value. Otherwise they are the same. I would want something with adjustable/replaceable sights, M14,15,19, 66, 67, etc. However, if you can use the fixed sights, that is what I would get. I have to have fiber optics for low light or dark target or dark background conditions. Lots of people I shoot with don't need them.

Edited by Toolguy

At $325 you have a very inexpensive way to get into IDPA SSR. Safariland Comp III K-frame speedloader will work well. Fixed channel sights can be zeroed (if they are not on for you) with a Swiss file. If the front sight eludes your vision, it can be painted. Fluorescent orange paint is great with stainless/nickel guns. Some find fluorescent green better with blued guns. I agree with Toolguy on getting the one with the frame-mounted firing pin.

The rig you're talking about can be made to work well. In IDPA SSR it's truly the Indian and not the arrow. Have fun & good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this idea, actually. There's something extra fun about beating a bunch of people with an old beater gun like that!

LOL! This is like the golfer who carries three clubs and tromps their buddies w/ $$$$ setups. The gentleman I'm thinking of only hit the course 2-3 times a year.

MCB

You're looking at some fun revos!

Craig Bucklin (sp?) was multi time national champ in SSR shooting a M 66-5 or -6 I think, for S&W. It was a pre lock gun.

I think that you can access past nationals for Equipment used, by division.

I believe Craig ran a model 67 which is basically a model 66 but chambered in 38 Special and no ejector shroud.

Well I thought about it a bunch stopped at a few other gun stores but finally returned to my the first store after work today and that Model 10-11 was still there. I figure it waited on that rack for almost two weeks and no one else bought so that must mean it needed to come home with me. Now to get a comfy holster and a few speed loader and pouches. Any suggestions for speed-loaders to look at?

sw10l.jpg

sw10r.jpg

Comp III or Jet loaders are the fastest. They are spring loaded to shoot the cartridges into the chamber. Someone else will have to fill you in on the IDPA legal speedloader holders though, I don't play that game.