Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jam at the match today, Help please.

midvalleyshooter

Things were going great with my new to me SP-01 at the match today for 3 stages. Then on the 4th and last stage I had a jam in the mag. The picture below is how the mag jammed. My loads are at 1.130 OAL using Bear Creek 135 grain round nose. Will new mag springs most likely clear this issue up?

Jamjpg_zps179cbe93.jpeg

Here is a picture of my SP-01 and a link to my other post about the pistol: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=64960.0

IMG_0487_zpse2c93539.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Keith

That looks bad. I use Bear Creek 125gr in my Shadow OAL 1.065 the lands are close in tHe Shadows? Have you removed barrel and dropped a round in to see if you are against the lands? I went through the new mag spring thing and all that it was OAL for me and a breakin how many rounds through gun? If gun is new new you should use Winchester white box ammo for 500 rounds after that bear creek is good. It's all I use now

Edited by gary2232

Those look pretty dirty from here. It's a wonder that it ran at all.

For me if a mag hits the ground it is getting taken apart and is going to have a mag brush run through before I reload it again.

Most recommend +10% power springs for the CZ 18 round magazines as well.

There was a lot of loose dirt where I dropped the mag after the jam. There was just the one jam. The mags were clean when I started the match. They looked good to go after each stage, not too dirty. but I did not break them down and clean them after each stage. Perhaps I should start doing just that.

I cleaned all the mags again tonight. Now with clean mags and loading unloading by hand the spring pressure on the rounds is not very strong until the last 3 or 4 rounds.

Thanks for the input,
Keith

Edited by midvalleyshooter

I have loaded BC135gr @ 1.135 before and experience this exact same thing, it just a tad to long, have you done a push test?

I don't load them that long in my CZ 1.098- 1.125 is my range.

What I did also was change all my mag springs to Wolff +10.

Is that the way the bullet looked in the mag when it left the gun or after it hit the ground? Bouncing off the ground can do fugly things to bullets in a mag.

I was wondering the same thing.

Is that the way the bullet looked in the mag when it left the gun or after it hit the ground? Bouncing off the ground can do fugly things to bullets in a mag.

When I felt the gun not cycle I immediately did an emergency reload and not the tap - rack - bang so I'm not sure. You could be right that this happened when the mag hit the ground.

I was sent a message with a link. I will share it: http://maxmichel.com/tips/tip-3-magazine-maintenance/

Thanks again,

Keith

Yeah, if that is the case I would not use the way the mag looks to help diagnose anything. I would mark the mag so you remember which one it is. Clean 'em every time they hit the ground and run the +10% springs. You should be GTG then but if you have a second similar failure you will be able to see if it is that particular mag again.

The Arredondo mag brushes are a great investment and I wish I would have bought one way earlier in my shooting career.

Other than being a perfectly sized brush the back of the handle has a little probe designed to use as a tool for removing your basepads. If makes quick work of a job that used to be pretty tedious for me.

Not sure how "new to you" the SP01 is, but when mine was new, it had several failures to feed. This thread from the CZ forum was quite helpful in addressing reliable feeding addition to +10 mag springs. http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=22862.0

I have experienced nose dived (and flipped) top rounds in SP01 mags when I drop them, but have never had the mag/round look like your photo during use prior to dropping them.

Edited by JayDee

Not sure on the OAL I run mine at 1.150 +/- .005 for deviations and I haven't had any issues. ( do need to mention i am using 115gr right now until I use up what i have on hand)

I have also dropped a mag before and it will do just what you have pictured, the springs in these mags when they hit the ground with ammo in them tend to compress and flip the rounds all over hell. I haven't had this issue with my Mec-gar mags as the springs seem stronger.

I'd say do a drop test in your barrel to double check the OAL and then get some of those +10% Wollf springs for your mags. The bottom of this pages sells them and if you get a 10 pack they are a bit cheaper. http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/75%20Series/cID1/mID16/dID91

*Note.. I just drop tested a round that was at 1.14 and it was fine, no land marks, but each gun is different!

Edited by Vanniek71

I think if it was OAL issues you would be having way more frequent problems than this jam. Hard part dimensions is hard part dimensions. If one won't fit most/all won't fit. I'm still thinking it was a mag issue, either dirt or weak spring or maybe both.

+10% mag springs. I would get the random feed issue with the stock springs---replaced

them with +10's and no problems since. CZ builds a heck of a pistol--but the mag springs are

a weak spot.

I was wondering the same thing.

me too. I am thinking bullet ended up like that from the drop on the ground. not doubting there was a misfeed, but I don't think it looked like that in the gun.

I ordered new mag springs and a mag brush. Moving forward I will take the advice "If it hits the ground clean it."

BeerBaron - I'm sure you are right.

The pistol and mags are about three years old. previous owner had them in the safe not being used. I'm hoping new springs and keeping them clean does the trick.

Thanks again,

Keith