Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat M9A1 "IDPA" Package Production Legal?

cindynles

I'm looking really hard at the Wilson Combat "IDPA" package with the conversion to a "G" De-cocker. According to Wilson's website this package is IDPA legal for SSP based on the availability of factory parts. Would these modifications be legal for USPSA Production?

The package consists of:

• Action / Trigger job (internal so should be OK)
  • New rear sight (should be OK)
  • Drill out conversion of front sight for fiber optic insert (should be OK)
  • Oversize factory mag release (factory part - OK?)
  • Guide rod (internal so should be OK)
  • Grips (no issue)
  • Beretta Elite II Hammer (factory part - OK?)
  • Conversion of hammer drop safety to "G" De-Cocker (factory parts - not sure at all if this is OK).

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/custom-beretta.asp#.Uyo4VsNOW1v

Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I highly doubt that's SSP legal:

• Action / Trigger job (internal so should be OK) Excluded: Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section. Pretty sure they put in that aftermarket short reach trigger
  • New rear sight (should be OK)
  • Drill out conversion of front sight for fiber optic insert (should be OK) Sights may be changed to another notch and post type but slides may not be machined to accept different style sights in SSP
  • Oversize factory mag release (factory part - OK?)
  • Guide rod (internal so should be OK) Maybe.
  • Grips (no issue)
  • Beretta Elite II Hammer (factory part - OK?)
  • Conversion of hammer drop safety to "G" De-Cocker (factory parts - not sure at all if this is OK). Excluded: Aftermarket or visibly modified magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, and hammers.

The "new Beretta pistol"... Don't hold your breath. There may or may not be photos circulating of a prototype, there may or may not be an actual new model in production. Early 2015 is the current best guess, but folks, that's a long long time. And no one is quoting the recent Beretta news release because there hasn't been one.

Wait for the new Beretta pistol coming soon. It should have these modifications and be totally legal.

How is it going to be totally legal? Is it on the approved production list? WILL they produce enough models? Its a LIMITED edition at least according to the current info out there...

If you're dead set on running a beretta, wait until the end of the month. If we have no solid info...rock on and just buy what's out there.

Hoping that Beretta will pull their heads out of their asses and actually offer a decent model is like wishing on a star for unicorn tears...

This one is already legal in both production and SSP. The rules are being interpreted wrong in the post above.

In that package, they don't change the trigger externally, just do an internal action job. Legal

The slide is not machined the change sight style and fiber optic still utilizes the notch and post concept, totally legal.

The G decocker looks the same externally and is a factory (not aftermarket) decocker, completely legal.

As is advertised, you're good to go with this package and I commend Wilson Combat on doing such a good job with being as competitive with the modifications as possible while still complying with the rule set.

Edited by Whoops!

• 3 weeks later...

Whoops: +1 to that. I called Wilson about a week ago on this and got the same info.

Now, regarding the "new model," it could well be that Wilson's new tactical pistol confused everyone, and there'll be no other new Beretta model. And I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by pcg

Looking at the page they said the slide is dehorned...does that mean a normal Brigadier slide is smoother than a G slide, or does that mean they dehorned the slide? If Wilson dehorned it, that would be an external modification.

I don't think the trigger is short reach. Some photos the hammer is back.

• 2 weeks later...