Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Not RO Your Girlfriend

jacketjoed

So the girlfriend decided that she wanted to start playing in the pistol games. So got her all setup with a new pistol and all the stuff she would need to shoot a match. Since she hadn’t shot much at all before got her in a really good class that is offered out here to get some trigger time and just be more safe and confident with manipulations and movement. Since then she had shot a few matches and done really well with safety, till this last weekend. It was our first stage and I was ROing, as the other guy that was able in our squad was the next shooter. It’s the Girlfriends turn to shoot, she makes it through the whole stage just fine without any safety issues but was struggling with her shooting and got a little frustrated and eventually ran out of ammo. Her gun was at slide lock and she turned to ask one of the other ladies that was shooting the same pistol for a fresh mag, only problem was when she turned her body the gun went with her. She didn’t cover anyone and the pistol was at slide lock so it wasn’t terrible but was still a 180 violation and I told her to stop and that I was really sorry but I had to DQ her. She took It very well and was more embarrassed then anything. She took her stuff to the car with a heavy head but came back and kept score for the rest of the match. Though the guys in my squad definitely didn’t let me live it down for the rest of the match the result turned out better than I thought it would. I still don’t recommend it.

I would have just realigned the earth to change the orientation of the 180 boundaries so she wouldn't have been in violation....

So many girlfriends expect the Earth to revolve around them to accomplish that.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, what kind of class it was she went to that she was told she can borrow a magazine from another shooter when shooting the stage? While not a safety concern like breaking 180 -- is it still not a DQ for both?

Maybe not the same thing, but I RO my 11-year-old daughter for a few different reasons:

• She's much more comfortable with me watching over her shoulder than some stranger
  • I know the things she's uncomfortable with and what to remind her of as she's going through the course
  • If she does make an infraction, I want to be the one to give her the bad news

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I RO'd both my son and my wife. It was the first time either had shot in competition. I prefer it, as I'm the most skilled of us. I taught my wife the rules of firearms, long before she got a gun. I have taught her how to shoot and have been with her every time she has fired any guns. The rules ALWAYS have to be enforced, whether its your wife or girlfriend, friend, stranger or even enemy.....

Maybe not the same thing, but I RO my 11-year-old daughter for a few different reasons:

• She's much more comfortable with me watching over her shoulder than some stranger
  • I know the things she's uncomfortable with and what to remind her of as she's going through the course
  • If she does make an infraction, I want to be the one to give her the bad news

11 yo daughter is fine. Try ROing a teenage daughter and you'll wish you had RO'd your wife instead. :)

So the girlfriend decided that she wanted to start playing in the pistol games. So got her all setup with a new pistol and all the stuff she would need to shoot a match. Since she hadn’t shot much at all before got her in a really good class that is offered out here to get some trigger time and just be more safe and confident with manipulations and movement. Since then she had shot a few matches and done really well with safety, till this last weekend. It was our first stage and I was ROing, as the other guy that was able in our squad was the next shooter. It’s the Girlfriends turn to shoot, she makes it through the whole stage just fine without any safety issues but was struggling with her shooting and got a little frustrated and eventually ran out of ammo. Her gun was at slide lock and she turned to ask one of the other ladies that was shooting the same pistol for a fresh mag, only problem was when she turned her body the gun went with her. She didn’t cover anyone and the pistol was at slide lock so it wasn’t terrible but was still a 180 violation and I told her to stop and that I was really sorry but I had to DQ her. She took It very well and was more embarrassed then anything. She took her stuff to the car with a heavy head but came back and kept score for the rest of the match. Though the guys in my squad definitely didn’t let me live it down for the rest of the match the result turned out better than I thought it would. I still don’t recommend it.

I would have just realigned the earth to change the orientation of the 180 boundaries so she wouldn't have been in violation....

So many girlfriends expect the Earth to revolve around them to accomplish that.

You guys are really just dating the wrong women, wow. Here is a youtube video that is helpful:

As for giving someone a "pass" on a 180 rule, I disagree. I think this rule must be followed to the letter.

I do have a question for the OP: Did she understand the importance of the 180 rule? Did she know that breaking this rule would result in an automatic disqualification? I suspect that since she had shot a couple of matches she would know, but I think it is really hard to tell the girlfriend/wife/teenage daughter anything. I agree, never RO your girlfriend/wife/teenage daughter. I would even include the mother in law, cranky cantankerous grandmother, female politicians from California, and crazy chics named "Tiffany".

I will try to never put myself in that awkward position with wife or daughters. It's hard enough just ROing your friends sometimes!

I totally agree with you Glockified! Especially in IDPA with the subjectivity with cover. Great story jacketjoed! It's never fun DQ'ing a shooter, especially when it's your own girlfriend.

I shoot USPSA with my wife and we are both ROs. Normally we do not RO each other but a couple of matches ago the alternate RO was next shooter so I went ahead and ran her. At the first port she took a target that was past the 180 and as soon as I said STOP she knew what came next. There was no protest, no long face and even an apology for putting me in the position to issue my first DQ. Her RO training kept me off the hook, she scored the rest of the match and I still got sandwiches. Glad to shoot with my wife anytime.

Bruce

A buddy of mine and his wife both shoot open, very similiar guns. He loads the ammo for both. A few years back at a major, he barely made major and she didn't.

She was not amused.

lol, I can picture what that face looked like! especially when he gets to continue shooting for major score and she's now effectively shooting open minor with a gun that behaves like open major! d'oh! would have at least been ok if they both failed!

• 5 weeks later...

Its probably best that it came from you. She knows its not personal and will remember that for a long time making future matches safer. My wife shoots but I have not DQ'd her and I know she would be embarrassed if I did. Did you at least take her to Dairy Queen?

• 2 weeks later...