Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Game changer

Gary Stevens

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 to Carmoney. I don't shoot a 625 (I don't like the recoil). I do shoot a 4 and a 6 inch Ruger GP-100, set up identicalyl with grips, sights, trigger/action work, etc.. The 4 for IDPA because of Rules... and the 6 in ICORE because I am a LOT more accurate with it... and ICORE is very accuracy intensive. I would not drive to an ICORE match and shoot it with the 4 inch if my 6 inch was available. There is a significant difference in Alphas & Bravos & Charlies.

Is the 6 inch a bit slower? Probably, but not enough to make up for the difference between As & Bs on the score. That 6 inch is an Alpha machine! With the 4 inch, I'm just "kinda hoping". It's not that big a difference in an IDPA match because very few targets are beyond 15 yards, and if you miss the O Zone you're only 1/2 second down. It's a major difference in ICORE where those one and two second Bravos and Charlies really hurt!

Just posting my thoughts. I have shot them side by side and I can't tell any difference or at least not enough to register.

It doesn't really matter as the 625 is dead in USPSA anyway but I can't believe that a 1" difference in barrel length would keep some one from shooting a revolver in USPSA if they really wanted to.

I understand the sight radius thing but yet the biggest complaint I see posted about the 929 is that it has a 6.5" barrel instead of a 5" barrel.

I still have a hard time believing that 1" shorter sight radius is enough to be not competitive. Silly me I always thought it was the Indian and not the Arrow.

Mike if we are ever somewhere and can make this happen I'm game. I'm not a drinker but if you could pull it off I will buy you a few rounds. :cheers:

To be clear, when I spoke of "game changer" I was speaking of the execution of the stage. The Division's future is another topic. My observation was at the Area 5 match where Ray Hirst is noted for putting targets in a variety of locations. Many, many options. In this context, it seemed to me to be a very different animal.

The most popular revolver...one that noobs actually show up with to local matches...is a 6-shot 38/357.

I haven't seen any of these noobs with their 6-shot guns show up here, much less have fun but not return because they weren't competitive for not having moon clips, but I have a plan to actively recruit them to see how many will show up to shoot a match. Steve Horsman has taken over the monthly Phx Rod & Gun Club ICORE match and is looking to build it up so I've talked with him about putting on a special beginners match.

We'll have loaner speed loaders so all Joe Average needs to bring is a gun, holster and ammo. This will happen in the fall and for a month or two prior I'll put flyers up in as many local gun shops and ranges as will let me and post on whatever forums I can find. I'll also put together a handout with info on all the Phoenix area USPSA, IDPA and ICORE matches for those that show up to try to encourage them to continue shooting competitively. So we'll see how many of the hordes of 6-shot Revo owners will shoot a match when invited.

The most popular revolver...one that noobs actually show up with to local matches...is a 6-shot 38/357.

In 37 years of shooting IPSC I've seen a 6 shot other than a 45 one time. It was a PPC gun and PPC Loads that wouldn't puncture the cardboard at 25 yards. Never seen another. I shot a 6 shot 357 before Revo was a Division a couple of times, but I'm way past noob status, even then. I did it as it was the only gun I had that fit the new Limited Division!

Gary I understood what you meant, but changing how you attack a cof with a Revo is so intertwined with Revo as a Division that I don't think it can be separated.

Back in 2006 when I got into Revolver the shooter that showed me the ropes was using a S&W 610 and I ended up buying one too when I got a deal on one I couldn't pass up (610 no-dash 6.5 inch barrel from the first year they made them for $520). At my local club we have an occasion revolver shooter that uses a 6-shot 357/38 with moons, he occasionally goes "retard" and brings his speedloaders for fun. I actually saw a revolver shooter at Western PA Section Championship using speed loaders in a 357/38 revolver. Unfortunately he got DQ when he blew out a knee, sweeping the squad as he went down. Thankfully I didn't witness it but heard it wasn't pretty.

And Bubber campaigned with an L frame and Jet Loaders, I think. He was VERY good with them. But he weren't no Noob either.

I'm picking up where he left off. Or has he left off? Hmmm....

Except that I was just dumb enough to have mine cut for moons and bought 50 Hearthco clips for it. I went this route because I just shoot the L Frame better and mostly I just shoot minor better. My scores are better with minor that they ever were with the 625 and major loads. I will have a 929 or 627 but I'm just concentrating on shooting alphas right now. It's paying off because almost as soon as I put the 625 in the safe I got to burn that damn D card, because my C card showed up in the mail.

GOF is exactly right in regards to the 625 debate going on. I have an extremely nice 5" 625-4 in the safe that I had just got setup the way I wanted, and poof! No redeeming value, unless you shoot bowling pin matches or a lot of ICORE that is. I suppose it would make a hog thumper of the first order. Still debating on selling it but it's just such a nice gun and difficult to find, so I'm hanging on to it for now. I would trade it for a 929 though. :goof:

OK i was one of those noobs back in the day ...I had two guns when in got into uspsa a pre war hi power and a canadian surplus 3" model 13 smith. When the extractor went out in the browning i shot the smith for a while. Got my revolver classification and most of my production classification with that little snubby using hks speedloaders. And had a lot of fun. Currently my wife has picked up revolvers and after going through the ones we had our 686 4" 6 shot is what fit her best so she is shooting 6 shot minor with comp 3's (left handed uphill both ways in a snow storm) {ok maybe a little bit exagerated but she is left handed doing strong hand reloads} and while she is new to revolvers not new to uspsa and appears to be having fun.

OK i was one of those noobs back in the day ...I had two guns when in got into uspsa a pre war hi power and a canadian surplus 3" model 13 smith. When the extractor went out in the browning i shot the smith for a while. Got my revolver classification and most of my production classification with that little snubby using hks speedloaders. And had a lot of fun. Currently my wife has picked up revolvers and after going through the ones we had our 686 4" 6 shot is what fit her best so she is shooting 6 shot minor with comp 3's (left handed uphill both ways in a snow storm) {ok maybe a little bit exagerated but she is left handed doing strong hand reloads} and while she is new to revolvers not new to uspsa and appears to be having fun.

Good for her. What a challenge.

i haven't shot but one club match by myself in revolver since it started and there was only once in prev 5 years where there were more than one of us. So at least here in central alabama seems to be having desired effect.