Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

old vs new style SVI mags question?

DrLove

guys, I'm starting to shoot only 9mm Major and have heard that SVI mags are much nicer for 9mm (you don't need spacers/etc.). Now the question I have, what is the difference between the old style and the new styles ones? Will the new style ones work fine with STI grips/frames?

guys, I'm starting to shoot only 9mm Major and have heard that SVI mags are much nicer for 9mm (you don't need spacers/etc.). Now the question I have, what is the difference between the old style and the new styles ones? Will the new style ones work fine with STI grips/frames?

Usually the new style SV mags require work to get then to work in the STI grips. I have talked with a smith that won't even try anymore, but some others have had some success. If you can find the "old style" SV tubes, they will work in STI's. I have two SV 170's and can get 29 in one and 30 in the other (with roll sized brass).

Very minor mod to the inside of the STI frame and the new style SV mags work flawlessly. No spacers, no "mag tuning" no modifying the mag catch holes, or changing mag release ...nothing.Easy Cheesy. Save yourself all the headaches, get a Dremel and grind down the lip on the inside of the frame. Takes 10 minutes at best, and you will forget all about this "New style vs. Old style SV mags" and "STI w/ spacers" debate. The difference between the 2 mags is the New Style has the " Strayer Voit" with the Diamond etched into it and obviously the dimensions are a little different.Just look for the Logo etched on one side. I'm no gunsmith, nor do I claim to be some kind of expert in this arena, just a fellow shooter sharing my experience with this topic.Maybe I just got lucky, but again this worked like a champ for me. Here's the link that got the wheels turning for me. Good luck my friend and PM me if you have any questions. Just my .02 cents. YMMV

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117850&hl=+new%20+svi%20+mags%20+in%20+sti%20+frame

The new style 140s I used worked flawlesly (dropped free) with no mods while the new style 170s never quite did, even with squaring the mag catch hole. If I needed a mag change in a COF, I started with a 140, then reloaded to a bigstick.

When I used STIs with spacers, they never reliably fed rounds. The SVIs always did. But the 170s had the drop free problem. It's always something.

Edited by remoandiris

After I modified my frame, all my mags dropped free except for one of my two brand new 170's. Sent it back to Brandon, he made an adjustment to it and every things works flawlessly.

There is a ridge on the inside of the frame. I think I started out with a file and removed a little on each side and continued to test fit. I then went to a Dremel and did the same. Once I got all the mags to drop freely, I went back and cleaned up with a file again. It's not pretty, but I don't notice it at all. Again, this is what worked for me and the whole "New vs.Old" debate is something I just chuckle at now whenever I see this come up. This just seemed like the most logical and simple fix. I had no intention of putting Mags in a vice, squeezing here and squeezing there, trying to "tune" a mag that should work,in my opinion straight from the factory. I knew that once I started trying to modify mags, the "warranty" went out the window, and the chances of me screwing up brand new mags was MUCH higher than me screwing up the frame.No mag catch hole mod either. Being in California, these mags are like gold. Hope this helps

post-37310-0-11574100-1403017045_thumb.j

post-37310-0-05141400-1403017057_thumb.j

post-37310-0-84434100-1403017070_thumb.j

post-37310-0-62735700-1403017084_thumb.j

It is the ledge that the flat on the grip bushing indexes against. It really only needs the bottom edge broken. I did mine with a dremel. Once I found where the mag was contacting it took 30 seconds of work to get them all working 100%.

It is the ledge that the flat on the grip bushing indexes against. It really only needs the bottom edge broken. I did mine with a dremel. Once I found where the mag was contacting it took 30 seconds of work to get them all working 100%.

This is a better explanation than mine. I probably went higher than I needed too in the frame. I just took a shot in the dark and went for it. Another member in a related post recommenmded "smoking" the mags with a lighter. This really helped to find the contact points in question that needed to be filed down

Does this affect the reliability of STI mag's in the gun? IE am I dooming myself to only SVI mags in the future?

Not at all. It just allows the needed clearance for the slightly different shape of the new SVI mag tubes. The new tubes fit old SVI frames just fine by the way.

I've modified several frames using a 10 degree angle cutter, taking .025 - .030 off the corner of that step. SVI machines that area a little wider than STI and always has.

Don't modify the notch.

Dan, next time you mod a frame how about tossing a before and after picture up?

STI added material on their frames under the slide stop notch. They did this to prevent the crack (all STI and SVI frames will eventually after thousands of rounds) from propagating deep down inside. I'm guessing they did this in 2008.

This made the binding of SVI mags worse. A carbide burr and alum oxide stone will be needed to chamfer the bottom edge of the frames, including that reinforced area.