Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Both eyes open versus left eye squint

This is something I'm struggling with. I currently shoot with my non-dominant eye closed. The problem is that I move with both eyes open, close my ND eye to shoot, open it to move, close it to shoot, etc. I think this causes some measurable delay when entering a shooting location, presenting the gun, acquiring a sight picture (which involves closing the ND eye and letting the dominant eye focus), and then pulling the trigger. I plan to try the scotch tape pon the ND lense to see if it'll help.

This is something I'm struggling with. I currently shoot with my non-dominant eye closed. The problem is that I move with both eyes open, close my ND eye to shoot, open it to move, close it to shoot, etc. I think this causes some measurable delay when entering a shooting location, presenting the gun, acquiring a sight picture (which involves closing the ND eye and letting the dominant eye focus), and then pulling the trigger. I plan to try the scotch tape pon the ND lense to see if it'll help.

I wouldn't stress about it too much. I shoot with a local M (knocking on the door of GM, and typically overalls our local matches) who says he closes his weak eye as soon as the buzzer goes off. He placed in the low 20's at nationals this year and is still getting better. The other really good M shooter (who posted earlier in this thread) does the scotch tape thing, as do I. It's definitely worth a try. I use a square, and placed fairly high on my glasses. I really don't notice it when shooting or moving except that I don't have to sort through multiple sight/target images anymore. If I forget my glasses, I can make do by squinting a little, but it costs me a bit of time.

• 2 months later...

I tried the tape trick, did some dry fire and felt like it worked. Then shot a match and completely fell apart. So i gave up. I know i did not stuck long enough with it, so i am starting again. No question, i am faster with both eyes open, so i need to work in that.

Try it and stick with it. Dont be like me- a quitter ;)

Mine definitely switch too. Not completely switch, but I can watch them fighting for dominance.

I use a black tape square now on my non-dominant eye (might try scotch soon). I dry-fired with it a LOT before I brought it to a match, and so far it's working (I think). I wish I could video myself to see if I'm still closing my left eye.... But i don't think I am.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd love to be able to shoot with both eyes open. I guess I'll give the tape a try next time I make it to the range. I've seen a few guys doing that over the years and had never given it much thought.

I'd love to be able to shoot with both eyes open. I guess I'll give the tape a try next time I make it to the range. I've seen a few guys doing that over the years and had never given it much thought.

Practice in dry-fire first, to make sure you know how much tape you need, and to get comfortable with shooting with both eyes open. It took me a month or more of nightly dry-fire pracitce to build the subconcious trust in shooting with both eyes open.

Scott

Practice in dry-fire first, to make sure you know how much tape you need, and to get comfortable with shooting with both eyes open. It took me a month or more of nightly dry-fire pracitce to build the subconcious trust in shooting with both eyes open.

Scott

Will do. I've got an infant at the house, so my range time is very limited these days. I've got an airsoft setup coming tomorrow with hopes that it at least gives me a chance to work on some things in the garage besides solely dry fire.

For a long time I've thought I was still shooting my open gun with one eye closed. that impression has changed. shot iron sights for the first time in ages yesterday and repeatedly found myself having to close my ND eye as I was shooting the thing both eyes open...

I shoot both open in dry fire and range time. I can switch target focus and sight focus no problem. But when I goto a match a the buzzer goes off I'm like a deer in headlights! I can only shoot target focus with both eyes open. If I have tough shot I have to close one eye and work at front sight focus. It's probably because I don't get to matches very often and get all worked up about it. Lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Both eyes open at speed and under stress. When doing slow, accuracy work and when I can remind myself to, then i squint one eye. I think each has their place depending on the circumstances.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I started shooting with both eyes open when messing around at the range while shooting weak handed, found that I could do better... Then started shooting rifle with an eotech, again both eyes open, which I think helped me shooting both eyes open and "tuning out" what my non dominate eye was seeing. Now that I'm shooting more uspsa in feel more comfortable both eyes open, BUT... I will at times when there is that steel that seems like it is in a different zip code I'll close one eye and bear down on it.

But like most people say...do what works best for you, try one the other see what comes more natural.