Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats so bad about Glock factory sights?

obsessiveshooter

I have a G35 gen4 that I bought recently and I have been dumping the new parts on it. I've only shot one match with it and it still had the factory sights on it. I had no trouble with accuracy getting on target. But, following all the recommendations I've read, I bought new sights for it, DP serrated rear/FO front, and just installed them. My first impression is "This is supposed to be better?" I'm about to take it to the range right now and see what I think. Kinda nervous about the fact that I've used red Loctite per DP's recommendation.

What's your reasoning for going with competition sights over those oh-so-easy-to-see-and-line-up factory sights?

I put Dawson sights on a month or two ago after running factories for a few months. I was OK with the factory sights, but my accuracy improved about 50% by putting on the better sights. The factory rear sight ran out of adjustment for me and was shooting about 6" high with the sight maxed out. I find the dawsons to be much quicker to pick up on target. And the competition set has an accuracy guarantee. I didn't need to send in for a different height front sight as they are right on. My only issue and it was my own fault is that I didn't have any locktite and I forgot to put it on at a later time and the front sight dang near fell off in the middle of the shoot. Dumb mistake. I have since applied locktite and carry the wrench in my range bag. Good luck!

They are plastic and damage easy

They are poorly sized and a thinner front will enable easier accuracy, not necessarily more

Factory sights have a white dot on the front and bracket on the rear

So many personalized options exist to what works "best" for you, no reason to stick with something that's "good enough"

Its all personal preference though, some people like what others don't

And you should have probably used blue loctite not red

I have a G35 gen4 that I bought recently and I have been dumping the new parts on it. I've only shot one match with it and it still had the factory sights on it. I had no trouble with accuracy getting on target. But, following all the recommendations I've read, I bought new sights for it, DP serrated rear/FO front, and just installed them. My first impression is "This is supposed to be better?" I'm about to take it to the range right now and see what I think. Kinda nervous about the fact that I've used red Loctite per DP's recommendation.

What's your reasoning for going with competition sights over those oh-so-easy-to-see-and-line-up factory sights?

Long small steel will be much easier to hit and they are metal, so they will take a beating. If they look they are in the middle, they are ok. Just learn the gun, you'll be fine. I'm not actually saying death grip it, but something like that. Excellent gun. Don't be afraid of red Loctite. Sights are pretty easy to get to with a painters butane blowtorch-just heat it to around 400 takes a couple minutes-loctite turns to powder. You probably know this, right? You'll be happy. Maybe don't get a magwell. I can't remember if you got one. Have fun. Dry fire and get that index.

The "ball and bucket" sights are just terrible. For some reason aligning them forward elevation just never felt natural or fast for me. You are much better off with a flat black rear and a good front with a fine profile. If I was stuck with stock Glock sights I would turn the rear around so I was looking at the black instead of the stupid bucket.

Having a fiber optic front is really nice to be caused your eyes can find it so much faster in the daylight. You can't really get a full appreciation for a fiber optic sight untie you get it out of the basement or indoor rage and get them outside on a good day.

By far the plastic Glock sights are th the most fragile part of the gun. It is trivial to break off the front sight. They also feature an extremely low grade sight picture. No serrations on the sights and an overall lack of definition.

I am actually very surprised that Glock has not not done anything over the years too improve the stock sights because like Mary others the first thing I do when I get a new Glock is rip off the stock sights and put something decent on the gun.

Well, I just got back from shooting the new sights. Yes, distant targets will be MUCH easier to hit. It was very easy to pick up the sights in the intense sunlight of 10k elevation in the mountains. My initial reservations now seem to be unfounded. Hopefully they will work as well indoors.

I do wish they were adjustable though. I was shooting about 2-3" high at 10 yards. I'm used to putting the dot directly over the POA, I'll need to get used to having the spot I want to hit just above the front sight dot.

It was also my first time out with the dawson magwell and grip tape. Those two things together allow me to lock on to the pistol in a way I've never experienced! I am really loving this gun after spending a year shooting Limited with a Taurus PT101, with crappy sights, slippery grip, no magwell and no mag extrensions.

Dodge you get the perfect impact sights from Dawson? You should be able to trade for a front that is a little taller to correct the problem. They also used to make some adjustables for the Glock that really liked.

FO sights done work as well in doors obviously. I hate shooting iron sights in doors regardless of style. Low light just makes it much harder to get a fast or fine focus.

Yes, the I got the Competition Perfect Impact sights. I need to shoot it at different distances to see if it's something I can get used to before I try to get a taller front sight. But it's nice to know that is an option. I'm looking for the guarantee on the Dawson website.

When i bought my Glock 19 (gen 3) back in the 90's, the front sight was simply pressed in. The result was many Glocks used in competition had the front post (sight) knock completely out of the slide and the rear, adjustable, sight was really cheezy (IMHO). I replaced it's sights with Trijicon night sights, front sight loc-tited in place, rear sight added a negligable amount of site radius. I have no experience with the new sites from Glock so my recomendation for replacing Glocks sites is based on ancient (in terms of firearms technology) history. The new sites (Gen 4) may well be perfectly functional.

I have an older Gen ii glock, and the adjustable rear will occasionally just pop out if i bang the rear on anything. That was my main complaint before i replaced with some sevigny sights. Now i just really like the competition sights and i don't like to go back to the stock ones.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Back to the original question, "Whats so bad about glock factory sights?" I think a lot of times not having a blacked out rear sight can benefit new shooters because it gives them a little bit of contrast between the ft and rear sight. However, once you get a little experience and start to see things a little better while shooting, a blacked out rear target style sight is soooooo much better then dots or goal post or anything else people come up with.

I was at the neighborhood gun store yesterday afternoon and had occasion to handle a Glock 42. The front site is, indeed, now a threaded installation but the front site material is still plastic. Not entirely damnable but, being who I am I prefer it be metalic over plastic (front site that is). Bad? No. Could be better? Yes.

Your "2-3 inches high" issue is nothing new for G-34/35's. By default, I install Warren-Sevigny sights on most guns that I build. The original W-S front sight was 0.215" tall to match their rear sight. That works great on the 4.5" guns (17/22), but caused the "2-3 inches high" thing on the Practical/Tacticals. Warren now builds a 0.245" front sight that works perfectly.

You probably need to add 0.030" to the existing front sight height. Dawson's Perfect Impact program will handle that. (And don't worry about the red Loc-Tite. The screw will probably come right out, because most people don't perfectly degrease EVERYTHING to allow Loc-tite to reach its full bonding potential.)

Edited by Braxton1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't care for the sight picture and most people think the factory sights are not durable enough. Thus the investment in a set of FO sights. It was a good choice for me. But you need to do what's best for you, that's why there's so many options in the marketplace.