Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to Glock?

Max It

HI Ya, after maybe 4 years of R.O.ing the GSSF matches; and shooting borrowed pistols in the matches I guess I need one.

So help me out in my thinking a bit:

I decided on .45acp (why? I have only one 1911, and none in polymer), is one reason.

Full size is best ( no model 41 in Califorina)

So model 21; somewhat smaller hands,

so SF seems right.

now the hard part; I suspect that it will be come a SD gun at home.

And I want it stock enough for the GSSF

now the hard part:- what to buy what to add to it?

oh and I hope to win one at our next drawing: Father's Day.

Or I have the members discount coupon, if that helps (LGS says it will cost me $485. with coupon).

much obliged,

Max

Youve been doing GSSF for 4 years and don't have a Glock?

When you get it, shoot it a while before you accessorize it.

Then see what you don't like, and make an personally educated choice on what to change.

Stock enough for GSSF is pretty much stock, you can swap out the sights but not much else unless you want to compete in unlimited.

For HD I would put a set of night sights that you are accurate and that's about it.

I made "master" with a stock G26 and ameriglo night sights.

HI Ya Bunny and friends, sound advise. I was thinking of adding a trigger job; one I am told is using stock Glock parts but shortens the take up, ever heard of it? is it still stock?

You may want to read GSSF rules, I'm not familiar with them myself.

But if you're new at shooting Glock, and want to be good at shooting Glock, the best advice I can give you is to learn the trigger - don't change the trigger (right away).

Take the slack out, line up the sights, break clean shots. With good trigger control will come good results.

Edited by Moltke

I would install glock 3.5 pound connector. I assume that is legal since they come stock in some guns but I am not certain. It is easy to do yourself, just watch a couple of youtube videos on how to do it.

Having been shooting glocks since 1998 I do have my opinions (don't we all) mostly based on trial and error.

Two excellent pieces of advice thus far:

1) LEARN the trigger. Glock triggers do leave plenty to be desired BUT, the more you work the trigger, the better both you and the trigger become over time and;

2) Shoot it before changing anything. Might be perfect for you in its stock configuration.

Don't bother with the 3.5lb connector UNLESS you plan to change the spring set (mostly striker spring) and then be ready to fork out a few bucks for and extended striker. The light striker springs can, and often do, result in "light" hits and therefore failure to detonate the primer compound.

If your plan is to have this Glock 21 be an S.D. weapon then change the sights (preferably something simple like Trijicon night sights) and invest in a Glock Rear sight tool. Not cheap but more precise than a brass punch and hammer. S.D. weapons are best left as stock as possible. We won't even talk about libility if you play with trigger weight (lightenin it) and then have to use it in S.D.

You may want to read GSSF rules, I'm not familiar with them myself.

But if you're new at shooting Glock, and want to be good at shooting Glock, the best advice I can give you is to learn the trigger - don't change the trigger (right away).

Take the slack out, line up the sights, break clean shots. With good trigger control will come good results.

I'm believe the OP has a lot of experience with Glocks but just hasn't bought one. That said solid advice. The Glock trigger is VERY different from traditional DA/SA triggers and 1911's. The plastic feel alone takes some getting used to.

I agree with the 3.5 connector being a must. Very simple and easy to do, also legal. Leave the stock trigger in and polish it. I tried the Fulcrum and although it was nice I couldn't see a big enough difference to warrant $120

HI J and friends, got it. that about sizes it up. now I cant wait for the next drawing for a free one. since we don't shoot on Father's day this year it will be last weekend of this month. as fast as my short legs will carry me on Monday, should I not win a free one, I will begin by buying a G21SF.

Having been shooting glocks since 1998 I do have my opinions (don't we all) mostly based on

Don't bother with the 3.5lb connector UNLESS you plan to change the spring set (mostly striker spring) and then be ready to fork out a few bucks for and extended striker. The light striker springs can, and often do, result in "light" hits and therefore failure to detonate the primer compound.

I've read this also but have yet to experience it firsthand. I lowered my striker spring to 4lbs and still use the stock striker. I also changed the trigger spring to 6lbs and haven't had any light strikes. So far I've shot about 200 rounds 115 gr remanned from Freedommunitions.com and another 100 rounds 147 gr reloads no problems

Having been shooting glocks since 1998 I do have my opinions (don't we all) mostly based on

I've read this also but have yet to experience it firsthand. I lowered my striker spring to 4lbs and still use the stock striker. I also changed the trigger spring to 6lbs and haven't had any light strikes. So far I've shot about 200 rounds 115 gr remanned from Freedommunitions.com and another 100 rounds 147 gr reloads no problems

There is a good chance you will get light strikes after a while unless you change the striker spring often. It varies from gun to gun.

Much as Glock tries, their Q.C. is only as good as the inspector on the line at the time and the combinations of tolerances of the parts. You might have a Glock that, regardless of the truisms out there, shoots no matter what you do to it. If that's the case...rock on. A slight thining of the breachface within the +/- tolerances allowed, a striker at the max length of the tolerances...It's impossible to know without going to some rather extreme lengths to analyze all factors. Be happy, shoot often.

Its always the same old thing. New gun means you gotta buy sights and a trigger job...

The Vanek Master GSSF trigger is by far the best Glock GSSF legal trigger you can get. Its expensive, but if its within your means, don't hesitate. You won't have to worry about light primer strikes, and it uses all factory Glock parts.

Sights are always a personal preference. I like the old Dawon rear that goes over the back of the slide in solid black and then mate it with the thinnest fiber optic front blade I can get, with a 17.5 yard zero just on top of the blade.

Other than that I wouldn't go messing with much. I'd recommend knowing the GSSF division rules as far as what you can and can't do. I have really sweaty hands, and Gen 3 Glocks like to think they are wet soap in my hands sometimes, so I like grip tape and grip stippling jobs... Anything that can make your gun easier for you to shoot. Maybe you'll want a specific weight recoil spring if your shooting a particular hand load? Is any of it legal for that game, I don't know.

Hey, I might have started this in Glock forum but heck I go down one way streets the wrong way.

next ?

I noticed on Blade-Tech page for holsters that the 21SF comes with either picatinny rail or single slot rail, are they both options? which is better?

Edited by Max It

Lee, right on, my style exactly, old eyes like the Dawson and FO combo.

I scraped together enough $$ for another 1911 before I decided on the Glock, so no problem there.

Mr. Weirdman, thanks for clarifying that. since I will be getting either a member discount or a free certificate (see my opening post) I will no doubt get what is most current from Glock. the question only arose as I was looking over the holster choices at Blade-Tech. they are my go to guys for holsters for the steel matches.

• 5 weeks later...