Mossberg JM Pro Failure To Feed

ladysaiga

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trigger pins?

...anti-walk?

If so, good idea BUT remember, they must be able to be removed & re-attached - unlike AR anti-walks that once they are on they're pretty much destroyed when removed.

ps I'll take a set . . .

Edited by stinsonbeach

Gap filler/ramp for trimmed handguards?

Bingo! (Mostly.)

It actually eliminates the gap, rather than just fills it. It takes all of the slop out the forend/receiver fit and hikes it up tighter to the barrel. It also creates a ramp between the receiver and a forend modified for quad loading. Here's a comparison with a JM-Pro style forend, a quad loading friendly mod and the same with our new part added:

OR3GUN-Port-Comparison-Sized.jpg

You can see that the entire forend with our part rides much higher in relation to the barrel and receiver. This also keeps the internal guides in the forend clear of the pusher assembly, another potential source of drag against the gas system.

We've got prototypes in service, but we're currently working out final materials and process with the machinist, trying to keep the part in the $40 range. I don't quad load (beyond part testing), so I'm more about enhancing reliability and eliminating play in the forend. Ramping the part came highly recommended from the rest of the development team that DOES care about that, so it sounded like a great addition until the machinist gave me this look:

:surprise:

That process change and the effect on how it is machined (and held in place for machining) is what is hanging up the material finalization and cost issues. We're open to input on the polymer vs. alloy and what price point it becomes unattractive to have it be attractive. I also think Marine Blue is fine on an internal part, but something you see... we don't want to clash with anyone's fashion sensibilities. It will probably end up somewhere on the dark side of the tactical rainbow.

Oh, and the bolt heads are vestigial leftovers from a side-saddle, which rendered itself annoying at best on a gun where you are trying to master quad loading. If I could find my original trigger assembly pins they would have been less of a decoy.

:blush:

Loving the idea ... Can't wait to get my hands on one to try.

As for polymer (delrin?) vs alloy I would think that polymer would give the best surface for your hand to glide on and would probably be the cheaper alternative.

Either way, $40 or less and I'm in

Winner: "JonF"!

Congratulations & please come to the front to collect your prize!!

...I still think anti-walk pins are a good idea!!!

i saw it first!

...& Second Place goes to: "oute..."

HOLD YOUR CORN!

"outerlimits": "under the hand guard maybe"? - where exactly is the anti-walk pin reference?

Second Place goes to: "usmc1094"!

Congratulations! ...& please report to the prize table! ...& "outerlimits" you should be ashamed!

This still appears to be a popular thread.

Today, another match, a different failure mode for failure to feed. Today was my second match and I completed 75% of the course (last time it was 50%).

I didn't have any double feeds this time, but with clay's in the air, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.

I had no spring pressure pushing the shells out. I got home and pulled it out from the end. The spring was kinked and sort of distorted at one point. I'm assuming that it got caught up on the inside edge of the extension tube, where it mates to the magazine, but I can't be sure. The magazine extension is tight to the magazine.

What is the best way to fix that?

Until that happened, it appeared to run much better, with the ends of the piston rings 180 degrees out (there were lined up when I received the gun and shot it in the first match that way with 2 of 4 stages completed).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

i saw it first!

...& Second Place goes to: "oute..."

HOLD YOUR CORN!

"outerlimits": "under the hand guard maybe"? - where exactly is the anti-walk pin reference?

Second Place goes to: "usmc1094"!

Congratulations! ...& please report to the prize table! ...& "outerlimits" you should be ashamed!

I like prizes!

Today, another match, a different failure mode for failure to feed. Today was my second match and I completed 75% of the course (last time it was 50%).

I didn't have any double feeds this time, but with clay's in the air, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.

I had no spring pressure pushing the shells out. I got home and pulled it out from the end. The spring was kinked and sort of distorted at one point. I'm assuming that it got caught up on the inside edge of the extension tube, where it mates to the magazine, but I can't be sure. The magazine extension is tight to the magazine.

Until that happened, it appeared to run much better, with the ends of the piston rings 180 degrees out (there were lined up when I received the gun and shot it in the first match that way with 2 of 4 stages completed).

sounds like it may have got twisted when you put the cap on. I would get a new spring, because once its bent there is a good chance that it will bend again. Bend the ends in more.

i saw it first!

I'll take the first model of the production run please. :D

i saw it first!

We'll actually have at least two versions eventually.

Version 1 is made of an aluminum alloy and designed to be fitted and tapered by you to your specific loading port work.

Version 2 is anodized aluminum (probably Storm Gray) and pre-taper/fitted to a fairly conservative quad loading port profile.

Version 3 is a delicate blend of polymer & ingenuity, with a touch of cheapness and nylon. This version is currently in two of my three personal 930s and available now if you want me to whittle you one.

:ph34r:

If you want version 1 or 2, I would be happy to send your prize in about a month or so if you PM me your address.

Edited by logiztix

i saw it first!

Version 1 is made of an aluminum alloy and designed to be fitted and tapered by you to your specific loading port work.

Version 2 is anodized aluminum (probably Storm Gray) and pre-taper/fitted to a fairly conservative quad loading port profile.

Version 3 is a delicate blend of polymer & ingenuity, with a touch of cheapness and nylon. This version is currently in two of my three personal 930s and available now if you want me to whittle you one.

:ph34r:

If you want version 1 or 2, I would be happy to send your prize in about a month or so if you PM me your address.

. . . more info please.

ps "JonF" I see you're from Keansburg?

I grew up in Atlantic Highlands.

Edited by stinsonbeach

i saw it first!

[emoji14]h34r:

Care to whittle another [emoji2]

sounds like it may have got twisted when you put the cap on. I would get a new spring, because once its bent there is a good chance that it will bend again. Bend the ends in more.

I just received and replaced the spring. I cut it the same length as the one that came out, but it appears a little stiffer. Now I have two shells popping out when I try to load it. Could that simply be too much spring or is something else going on?

Recommendation from nordic is spring should protrude from mag tube 12-14", so would cut so would cut to that length first and see if problem is resolved. Many here cut even shorter, but then it be becomes trial and error, and requires a backup spring if too much is cut off, as i found out!

suspect 2 shells popping out will go away once spring is trimmed to cprrect length, if all was well before the oem spring got squished.

Ahh, that didn't do it. Still two rounds, even with the old straightened spring. The release button has always seemed a little squishy, so I'm thinking it's connected to the feed mechanism. This looks like what happened in the first match. I don't know why it would fix itself for 75 rounds, then happen again, but I can't figure it out. I think it's due for a ride back to MOSSBERG. Anybody have experience with their warrantee work? What can I expect as far as time? I know that next Saturday's competition is out of the question am I looking at weeks or months?.

Let's see, so far I've had those lockups/multifeeds, a trashed spring, a factory installed piston with aligned rings....please someone tell me they will make it right.

Edited by robport