Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg JM Pro Failure To Feed

ladysaiga

I'm pushing the bolt release button, to load it.

I guess I'll try it with live shells. It seemed to work fine with snapcaps before though, when I first got it.

I'm not sure what would be different.

I have to push the button to make the bolt go forward and if I do that with a round in the chamber, it kicks two rounds out of the bottom.

I had put the old bent up spring back in for testing, in case it was simply a case of too much spring compression with the new one.

Hey, I may not be using it right, I'll admit to that. This is my first semi-auto shotgun

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been "listening" to you guys trying to figure out what's going on.

Nothing.

I will say when I was working on my first JM - having so much trouble getting it to run - that there were 2 times when it "speed dumped" my entire magazine. No idea why & after I changed out the springs & tinkered w/ stuff that I can't remember it worked flawlessly. I sold it to one of my shooting buddies - I wanted the 22" - & it's worked for him.

Flawlessly.

I'm very interested to see how this all shakes out because I have no idea what is going on. Big help, eh?

I'm pushing the bolt release button, to load it.

I guess I'll try it with live shells. It seemed to work fine with snapcaps before though, when I first got it.

I'm not sure what would be different.

I have to push the button to make the bolt go forward and if I do that with a round in the chamber, it kicks two rounds out of the bottom.

I had put the old bent up spring back in for testing, in case it was simply a case of too much spring compression with the new one.

Hey, I may not be using it right, I'll admit to that. This is my first semi-auto shotgun

May I suggest you enlist an experienced shotgun shooter to show you the manual of arms for the 930, or at the very least, read the owner's manual ;)

Edited by mpom

No offense taken.

When I pull the bolt back, it locks, whether there is something in the magazine or not...

Ih, and as far as a manual of arms...I got this brochure telling me how to disassemble it. It didn't go too deeply into "proper operation".

I went to the Mossberg sight and saw the same "manual".

I believe they can improve on that...even maybe a video...it would be cheap and they could post it in a day with almost no cost.

No offense taken.

When I pull the bolt back, it locks, whether there is something in the magazine or not...

Ih, and as far as a manual of arms...I got this brochure telling me how to disassemble it. It didn't go too deeply into "proper operation".

I went to the Mossberg sight and saw the same "manual".

I believe they can improve on that...even maybe a video...it would be cheap and they could post it in a day with almost no cost.

it should only lock open if there is nothing in the mag tube.

I appreciate the help. That's what I thought. I went to a gunshow today and saw two of them. On both of them, the back of that lever arm attached to the slide release was much closer to the receiver body than mine was. The release seemed much different too and appeared to move only the end blocking the magazine. I actually reached in and pushed the rear end outward and the slide released forward. I disassembled it down to there again and didn't see any obvious damage, but I didn't have anything to take it out with.

The guys selling them had no clue how they were supposed to work but the description of operation didn't sound normal to them either.

Thanks again for the help..

Sounds to me like you have a feed from the magazine tube issue which is not uncommon with the 930's. Brownells did a write up on how to fix the issue. I started to develop feeding issues after a couple 1000 rounds. Polished the tip of the carrier latch (part that holds the shells in the tube) as Brownells recommended and my issue went away.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=15831/GunTechdetail/Fixing-A-Mossberg-930-Feed-From-The-Tube-Problem

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, get a hold of Southern Kentucky Tactical on Facebook. They sell a replacement latch for $45 that has been polished already and will come pre drilled for an over sized magazine release.

Edited by Tuflehundon

For follow-up, I reached Mossberg last evening (they called me back), and they said it definitely wasn't supposed to be acting the way it is.

They are mailing me a "shell stop" and "shell release," basically all that stuff connected to the slide release button.

We had a little back and forth to make sure the parts she was talking about were the same ones shown on the disassembly drawing, (since her part names didn't match the ones on the drawing), but I am encouraged that she knew the failure mode and which parts I needed.

She gave me the option of sending it back, but encouraged me to fix it myself. I haven't disassembled to that level yet, and I'm hoping it's not "rocket surgery" (to quote one of our famous presidents...one of his best lines in my opinion.).

I know Brownell's has pictures of how to change it out, but I will probably wait until the part get here to try, so I don't lose any of the other ones

So..maybe in a few weeks, I will no longer have a single shot JM Pro. I'm hopeful anyway.

Edited by robport

Hopefully Mossberg is sending a replacement spring that sits under the bolt release button. Believe Brownells has a tutorial on polishing the front of the shell stop, the part that contacts the shell rim, keeping it in the mag tube and then moving out of the way to allow it to get onto the shell lifter.

The clevis or hitch pin that T is referring to above is easy to lose. Not a big deal, as I can mail you a couple if needed. Bought a bag full at a local TrueValue.

YouTube has a video describing the disassembly procedure.

Winner: "JonF"!

Congratulations & please come to the front to collect your prize!!

...I still think anti-walk pins are a good idea!!!

i saw it first!

I'll take the first model of the production run please. :D

We'll actually have at least two versions eventually.

Version 1 is made of an aluminum alloy and designed to be fitted and tapered by you to your specific loading port work.

Version 2 is anodized aluminum (probably Storm Gray) and pre-taper/fitted to a fairly conservative quad loading port profile.

Version 3 is a delicate blend of polymer & ingenuity, with a touch of cheapness and nylon. This version is currently in two of my three personal 930s and available now if you want me to whittle you one.

[emoji14]h34r:

If you want version 1 or 2, I would be happy to send your prize in about a month or so if you PM me your address.

Care to whittle another [emoji2]

OK, I'm ready to whittle. Post up pictures of your existing loading port to forend connection and I'll see what I can do for you guys.

:ph34r:

Winner: "JonF"!

Congratulations & please come to the front to collect your prize!!

...I still think anti-walk pins are a good idea!!!

i saw it first!

I'll take the first model of the production run please. :D

We'll actually have at least two versions eventually.

Version 1 is made of an aluminum alloy and designed to be fitted and tapered by you to your specific loading port work.

Version 2 is anodized aluminum (probably Storm Gray) and pre-taper/fitted to a fairly conservative quad loading port profile.

Version 3 is a delicate blend of polymer & ingenuity, with a touch of cheapness and nylon. This version is currently in two of my three personal 930s and available now if you want me to whittle you one.

[emoji14]h34r:

If you want version 1 or 2, I would be happy to send your prize in about a month or so if you PM me your address.

Care to whittle another [emoji2]

OK, I'm ready to whittle. Post up pictures of your existing loading port to forend connection and I'll see what I can do for you guys.

[emoji14]h34r:

Here you go ...

IMG_20150120_221856120_zps75mcpodh.jpg

IMG_20150120_221943764_HDR_zpstir6kp5o.j

IMG_20150120_221906048_zps9un3jbyc.jpg

Got the email earlier about the new marine tube ... Looks great.

IntenseImage, what is your loading method?

I notice you have a pretty deep loading port, but your forearm retainer isn't visible and your forend looks like an unmodified JM Pro. The part I can send will make a difference in snugging the gap to the receiver, but won't ramp the receiver to the forend unless you modify it further. Of course, if you weak hand load, it won't matter.

I was hoping I could still shoot our competition this weekend, so I figured I couldn't do any more harm by going ahead and seeing the parts they were sending me up close. I took pictures, and put them on photobucket, but couldn't figure out how to get them to load here.

Referring to the parts breakdown in the owner's manual, I first noticed that piece 15, the rear shell stop had some silver colored debris on the top. On removal, piece 17, the front shell stop fell away from it. Piece 18, the front shell stop pin had sheared, both on the top and the bottom and what was left of the pin was stuck in the front shell stop. The ground face of the front shell stop still had casting lines on it and actually had a distinct felt transition on the face. It definitely looks like it should have been polished before the new one is installed. I'm not sure if that is critical, since it is hitting on a very small part of the circumference of each shell though.

Anyway, I found at least one smoking gun, so hopefully the parts arrive soon. The front shell stop pin is toast.

I am pretty certain once you replace those parts you should have a functioning 930. How many rounds through the gun did it take to wear out the pin? Would recommend you polish the portion of shell stop that contacts the shell rim and smooth sharp edge. Glad you found the (hopefully only) problem.

Would have shot the match @norfolk rp club but working the weekend.

Edited by mpom

I had about 75 rounds before it jammed hard the first time, another 15 before it jammed the second time. I'm pretty sure that was due to insufficient blowback from the piston rings being aligned (because of the arrow shaped carbon deposit on the magazine tube).
It ran about another 85 rounds before the magazine spring ate itself. On replacing that, I noticed this problem, while checking operation. That pin must have given up the ghost, at about the same time or while cycling "snap-caps" through it to check spring tension.

I think we may be shooting the same matches (at NCRR?). You probably know me. I'm the one with the JM pro that keeps jamming...lol
I've gone out twice, since getting this thing, and have only been able to complete 5 of 8 stages.

This is my first semi-auto and at least I'm getting to know the internals well.

100_0438_zps5vt8macl.jpg

Edited by robport

Did a sg match @ nrcc 4 or 5 months ago. Lots of fun, especially the stage where we shot while hanging out of a car window. Too bad the pin died so soon. Sounds unusual, unfortunately more fodder for 930 critics. Too bad you had the issues, but at least you learned to do some repairs and gain confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

OR3GUN Competition Forearm Retainer (prototype) arrived today ... It certainly does its intended job of closing the forearm/receiver gap! I never realized how much of a gap was there before I installed the part!

Pics/Video coming soon!

Lol tease [emoji13]