Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg JM Pro Failure To Feed

ladysaiga

I finally got a chance to install the retainer and while it pulled the handguard in a bit, there seems to be a lot more gap remaining on my particular gun. Before the new retainer it had a large amount of gap but after installation it went to a more moderate amount of gap but not the seemingly 0 amount of gap that other users seem to experience. I think the issue is that material on the underside of the handguard where it touches the retainer will not let it bottom out fully as the curvatures don't quite match up. Some grinding of either the handguard or retainer may let it bottom out further.

What would the ideal method be to draw it in a bit tighter?

PS. Yes I know, my port work is a bit aggressive but it works. ;)

Before

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

After

IMG_20150214_152702983_HDR.jpg

I must not have been paying close enough attention when I first saw this, or you updated the picture. I say that because I don't recall saying 'holy $%!#' to myself the first time I saw it.

Yes, that is some seriously aggressive loading port work. Did you ever get your forearm ground down to match?

Edited by logiztix

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After

I must not have been paying close enough attention when I first saw this, or you updated the picture. I say that because I don't recall saying 'holy $%!#' to myself the first time I saw it.

Yes, that is some seriously aggressive loading port work.

Yes, that is some seriously aggressive work, but after picking up dropped dummy rounds all over the place starting to practice loading, I can see the usefulness of this! :)

After

Yes, that is some seriously aggressive work, but after picking up dropped dummy rounds all over the place starting to practice loading, I can see the usefulness of this! :)

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree that has to make quad loading much easier. I just started quad-loading recently as I have been 'weak-hand' loading for years. (I'm a righty that shoots long-guns lefty.) The bigger issue is that my side-saddle is like Linus' security blanket. "But, that's where I keep my slugs." I would have to look and see how much of my side-saddle I would have to lose, or find somewhere new to keep my slugs while I conduct strange mime performances at the side of my receiver for every slug target presented. I also have a habit of grabbing and balancing the bottom of the gun under the loading port when I rapidly rack unfired rounds out. With much of the receiver and side-saddle missing, I would likely lock up the shell feed with pressure on the lifter while doing so. Much to think about. Old dog, new tricks and all.

:mellow:

After

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree that has to make quad loading much easier. I just started quad-loading recently as I have been 'weak-hand' loading for years. (I'm a righty that shoots long-guns lefty.) The bigger issue is that my side-saddle is like Linus' security blanket. "But, that's where I keep my slugs." I would have to look and see how much of my side-saddle I would have to lose, or find somewhere new to keep my slugs while I conduct strange mime performances at the side of my receiver for every slug target presented. I also have a habit of grabbing and balancing the bottom of the gun under the loading port when I rapidly rack unfired rounds out. With much of the receiver and side-saddle missing, I would likely lock up the shell feed with pressure on the lifter while doing so. Much to think about. Old dog, new tricks and all.

:mellow:

I was curious about the general lack of comments on my port work when i posted it (Same pic, nothing changed). :P Frankly I expected a shit storm of comments telling me my gun was going to snap in half or some such as the vast majority of pics of port work seems to err on the side of caution being mostly light port and polish jobs.

I initially did a very minor job akin to all the common mild custom gunsmith and home jobs you see posted, but i found it didn't really facilitate clean and smooth quad or twin loads as i still had to drop my thumb tip into the port well to get the shells to positively lock. With the port mouth dropped down and angled like this, i can twin/quad load strong hand with only the side of the thumb raking the shell into the mag--no part of my finger goes into the opening/tube to get the shell to "Snick" in past the shell stop.

But due to poor winter weather and renovations/getting ready to move, i haven't been able to get back to working on the forearm yet. I anticipate being able to dig into that in the spring and will definitely post up when i do. Right now the sharp lip on the forearm is a real knuckle-skinner for me.

IMG_20150214_152628817_HDR.jpg

I was curious about the general lack of comments on my port work when i posted it (Same pic, nothing changed). :P Frankly I expected a shit storm of comments telling me my gun was going to snap in half or some such as the vast majority of pics of port work seems to err on the side of caution being mostly light port and polish jobs.

I initially did a very minor job akin to all the common mild custom gunsmith and home jobs you see posted, but i found it didn't really facilitate clean and smooth quad or twin loads as i still had to drop my thumb tip into the port well to get the shells to positively lock. With the port mouth dropped down and angled like this, i can twin/quad load strong hand with only the side of the thumb raking the shell into the mag--no part of my finger goes into the opening/tube to get the shell to "Snick" in past the shell stop.

But due to poor winter weather and renovations/getting ready to move, i haven't been able to get back to working on the forearm yet. I anticipate being able to dig into that in the spring and will definitely post up when i do. Right now the sharp lip on the forearm is a real knuckle-skinner for me.

What does the other side look like?

What does the other side look like?

Much less radical due to the shell stop pin. Basically slope it down to just above pin level, then take a slightly deeper angle after that to cut a little deeper, but not as deep as the other side. But that's fine because i load strong/right hand so having the port opening biased to one side of the gun favors my loading technique.

IMG_20150214_152719008.jpg

This was as bold as I got on my 930 Turkey:

CFR-Turkey-Port.jpg

I even trimmed my side-saddle:

CFR-Turkey-Saddle.jpg

The symmetry, it's all gone. Now I just await the anodizer for the CFR that belongs on this one.

Here's the receiver before I re-blackened it and put everything back together:

CFR-Turkey-Receiver-Bottom.jpg

I used to think that was a pretty aggressive port. I still largely load weak hand, but have been working quads in when it makes sense. As long as I can still find my slugs, I think I'll be happy with it.

I did what you suggested regarding thinning the handguard plastic to draw it in tighter and had favorable result. Like my receiver porting, I got a little aggressive with the contouring so it's about as smooth and gradual a ramp as can be.

Before

IMG_20150214_152655626_HDR.jpg

After

IMG_20150322_190819111_HDR.jpg

I'm glad I found this thread when I did. I just took a dremel to my JM Pro a couple nights ago to facilitate quads, but after initial trials, realized I was going to need to go more aggressive. I'm not sure if I'll go quite as deep as JonF, but definitely much more than most...as long as it still functions...

It still works, right Jon?

Oh, and did you actually grind down into the mag tube at all? The last thing I want is to do is mess up the follower catch...

Anyway, glad I'm not treading un-charted paths anymore. Thanks!

Edited by madcow

Oh yeah, it definitely works. You'll find that folks are slowly starting to realize that there are some more aggressive and out of the box ways to open up shotgun loading ports to optimize quad loading. There is another thread where someone put a really interesting (and also extreme) *slant* cut port on a Benelli for strong (right) hand side loading. Sort of the same idea of mine where my cuts are biased sideways and forwards towards my strong hand side, however, mine are done more squarish. I wish i had seen the Benelli pics asi might have done a smoother rounded port.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211299&hl=

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see folks pushing the envelope to see how much speed and ease we can reap from these types of guns. Of course it wouldn't be the internet without meeting resistance from the stodgy old coots grumbling about "if it ain't broke..." or whatever.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2394156343/california-competition-works-shell-caddy-tactical-shotshell-ammunition-carrier-12-gauge-4-round-2-3-4-and-3-shells-polymer

Above is "old tech", cheap and effective, faster than pulling shells out of a pouch or pocket, but much slower than "new tech" shell caddies from Invictus and Taccom, which are also more expensive.

Nice to shoot with you yesterday.

That's me. Old tech, cheap and effective.

I shot my first 3-Gun stage yesterday fully committed (without the crutch of my old tech caddies). While in practice, weak hand quad loading is going quite well, in the match I fumbled around for my missing caddies on the belt and then held my first ever weak hand quad loading yard sale. More practice at speed is obviously needed. Cross dominance may keep me attached to my caddies a bit longer than planned.

Learned from practicing at home that Marco is very wise; better to load 2 consistently than to fail at loading 4 :cheers:

Suspect its me, but having a hard time pulling quads off my Taccom smoothly, but twins are easy, so will stay with easy and reliable for a while.

Opening the loading port and tapering the fore end "shelf" is key, as is extending the lifter.

It was nice to meet you...and thanks for the ideas. I checked my choke, after the match, and like you said...it was loose.

I ordered one of the Taccom caddies yesterday to try it.

They say it works for doubles or quads. I'll decide which way to go after that, but am leaning towards doubles.

Hated to shoot and run, but I had to RSO for another event in a few hours.

They usually set up four separate courses, but they didn't think anyone was going to show in that mud.

I sort of liked the courses being changed on the fly like that and didn't miss the Texas stars or that evil turnover thing...lol.

Hopefully, we will have more available real estate above the water next time...I could swear I saw a large tentacle coming out of that pond in the back!

Suspect its me, but having a hard time pulling quads off my Taccom smoothly, but twins are easy, so will stay with easy and reliable for a while.

I have both the Dueling Deuces and Double Deuces carriers and have found as many have that if I 'pull' shells off I have alignment problems in my hand with quads, but if I 'flick' them off with a snap of the wrist they come off better. I also find they come off better with smoother shells like Winchester AAs than the textured shells such as the Federal bulk and it also makes a difference where on the 'brass' of the shell I click them in. I have had minimal luck loading twins with either for some reason (I'm guessing I'm reaching in too far with not as good of dexterity in my left hand). I'm still faster with caddies at this point unless I'm loading the entire gun from a table start.

Edited by logiztix

So you find quads easier, more successful than duals with the taccom? Was wondering if the double deuling deuces, having a gap between the quads, would be better for quads than the version which i have, no gap between row 2 and 3.

have tried the wrist flip, not as good as pulling like a curl.

I did find the Double Dueling Deuces easier to load quads due to the gap in between. I started with one of their 6-Up for twins and found it a bit more friendly for grabbing only two. On the version without the space it seems I was always grabbing two and dislodging two. Again, weak hand for me due to eye dominance, so I might have had better luck with my strong hand, except I would have to transfer the gun between hands, so the benefit wasn't there to explore that option.

Got the new OR3GUN Competition Forearm Retainer (PreFit model) in ...

IMG_20150414_203959029_zpsipoojfqr.jpg

Do you have a side view? That looks like a pretty smooth transition.

(I'm also digging the dry fire wall. I have a similar collection of scaled targets all over my studio walls.)

Yours is also the second forearm I've seen with voids in the polymer. I had a couple of tiny ones that I filled with autobody filler before duracoating with the rest of the gun.

On inspection the other night, I found that I had broken another pin. At least it let me finish the last stage last Saturday.

Something else is going on. 3 broken pins, even after 120 rounds or so each, just isn't normal.

It's going back to Mossberg.