Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camera for shooting

naim

I'm a little behind the curve, but noticing people mounting cameras on their hats or ear muffs. I want to give this a try. What is the consensus on which camera to use? Unless I just duct tape my dads old VHS camcorder to my head but I don't think my neck can hold it up.

Some use the GoPro. I use the Sony Action cam AS30V. I chose the Sony because of the better lens quality and the form factor suited me better than the GP but that is not to say that the GP is no good. They both pretty much have feature parity.

I use an XTC camera by Motorola. Mine is an older one (non-HD), and most the newer models record in 1080p HD.

https://midlandusa.com/xtc-cameras/products/helmet-sports/

Here's a link to a YouTube upload for a look at how the vid appears. (640x480 resolution).

http://youtu.be/JyruOHOn_yE

One of the attachments it comes with just clips on the visor of my cap. Seems to work well.

yep, using sony action cam here too. I have used VIO POV cams for years in race cars and love them but they are not practical for a wearable cam.

The sony action cam I run on my peltor tactical sport muffs. using the go-pro adapter ($3) and the sony skeleton kit ($30). This is a super light set-up. you don't know it's there. Video and sound is fantastic and in 720p (plenty clear enough for me) it can run in 120 degree or 170 degree which is super WIIIIIIDE angle.

I had a go-pro years ago and had a terrible experience that just totally turned me off their product. their current stuff is much better but it's also much more $$.

The great thing on the sony cam is you get a free app which allows you to connect your iphone or android phone wirelessly to the cam so you can make sure it's pointed just right etc. Sound quality is also excellent.

If you're on a budget get the older AS15V. it serves the purpose really well and is cheap these days. Otherwise the 30V and now 100V both have some improvements.

here's some vid a fellow member (niroth81) posted from his sony cam. it's the oldest AS15 but still produces great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx0RScRSKcM

Here's the thread where he posted how he mounted it to his peltor tactical sports (great muffs btw).

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190403

Edited by BeerBaron

I believe that almost all of the "Action Cameras" Have wide angle lenses (I think the smallest field of view is 61* and that is not wide enough for most action) but some allow you to change the field of view. The Sony is 120* and 170* with the widest camera being 180*. The reason being is to accommodate the widest fist person POV. Kinda the whole idea of a POV cam.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

+1 on the go pro. It also has an app to connect your phone through WiFi as a viewfinder for set up or to take still photos. after I used it to video the buck I shot with my bow last fall, I set the camera on my pack and pointed it at myself and the deer so I could look at my phone to make sure I had the photo set up perfectly and then took pictures of myself for success photos. It works awesome!

Hi Nick..

I have a GoPro Hero3 and it pretty versatile. The so-called fish eye is only really noticeable when filming very close. You may like the ability to shoot slow motion as well. The GoPro can shoot 240 frames per second in th slowest resolution. That's approximately .004 seconds per frame. As you slow down the frame rate... 120 or 60 or 30, the clarity and resolution improves. The camera is capable of HD quality. Rick Koskela

Most of these feature a fish eye lens. I find it kind of annoying. Is this a problem for anyone or is it just preference?

I'm pretty sure this vid that Jase shot is on 120 degree. I find it looks quite natural to me and not too fisheye at all? As the OG said, you need a fairly wide angle to be able to see enough stuff. otherwise you won't see the gun, etc as the angle will be so narrow.

watch the vid and see what you think. bear in mind that's the oldest (and now cheapest of the sony cams).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx0RScRSKcM#t=32

I use Google Glass, with clear shades as safety glasses.

I'm not sure if I could get away with it if I shot right handed because of where the screen is, but it works for a lefty as long as I don't tilt my head too far forward.

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

I just got the pivothead and I like it so far(also since the 100 price drop). Very easy to use from the get-go. Get the airsync too so its easier to down load on to your smart phone. Picture quality is very good.

Thanks for all the input guys. I got a hold of a go pro hero 3. How are you mounting it? I would like to mount it on my earmuffs closer to my right eye (if possible) but the shape of the go pro doesn't lend itself to this. Any suggestions?

Edited by naim

Jeff, the visor clip doesn't come loose when running?

one benefit of the sony action cam is that it's very light. especially if you take it out of the waterproof cover (I do).

I run mine on the side of my peltor tactical sports and I honestly do not notice it's there at all. I can't tell the difference between it being there or not.