Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you AVERAGE ???????

NEW YORK A Gallup Poll released this morning reveals that the average American owns 1.7 guns, with the average gun owner possessing 4.4 of them. The press is quick to promote stereotypes of the average gun owner as a white male, most likely Republican, living in a rural area or the South. But how well does reality match the image? The new Gallup Poll shows that the stereotype is not that far off, but with several twists.

For one thing, one out of three American women say they own a gun. That's not much below the overall mark of 40% for all American adults.

As for other elements of the stereotype: More than half (53%) of Republicans own guns, compared with 36% of political independents and 31% of Democrats. Whites are more likely than nonwhites to own (44% and 24%, respectively), according to Gallup.

Residents of the South are significantly more likely than those living in other regions to report owning a gun. More than half of those living in rural areas (56%) own a gun, compared with 40% of suburbanites and 29% of those living in urban areas.

From 1959 through 1993, an average of 47% of Americans reported having a gun in their homes. Since that time, household gun ownership has dropped to an average of 40%.

Gallup also asked those with guns in their households about the total number of guns they have. A majority of gun owners (62%) have more than one gun on their properties, including 29% who say they have five or more guns.

But do guns make you safer? “Americans are divided on the topic,” Gallup reports, with 46% saying that having a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be, and 42% saying guns make households safer.

But do guns make you safer? “Americans are divided on the topic,” Gallup reports, with 46% saying that having a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be, and 42% saying guns make households safer.

" 46% saying that having a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be"

Hmmm.. I wonder what % of these people live in "Blue States" and are against private gun ownership in any form?

"household gun ownership has dropped to an average of 40%."

Looks like more people believe having a gun makes you safer than actually own one.

I think the word that comes to mind when describing me is "average," even though I don't match most of the numbers. I'm just so very ordinary!

Most other polls say more households have guns every year, not less.

I'm either way above average, or I ought to be charging several people rent..

I'm wondering if the frequency of people answering 'yes' to "do you own a gun?" has decreased more than actual ownership

As a supporter of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party - I frequently feel out of place on this forum! Is it compulsory to be a Republican to be able to shoot?

It sure shouldn't be. I know several shooters that have strong disagreements with big chunks of the Republican agenda.. There's even the Gun Toting Liberals and Democrats for the 2nd Amendment groups.

But, before this devolves into a bunch of political discussion; BE's got a 'no politics' rule that we should take heed of:

Politics

Policy or political discussions of any kind are not welcome. [...] Including but not limited to: governmental, [...] Please just don't do it anywhere on the forum.

Everybody should go read them occasionally. The link is at the top of every page.

" 46% saying that having a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be"

Why is it that dangerous has such a negative connotation with some people? I work in a dangerous environment. I play dangerous games with dangerous toys. And I have several dangerous friends. (I sure hope they feel the same way about me. ) Danger is a very good thing because it forces us to be precise in our judgement.

But living without any means of self defense isn't dangerous, it's just stupid.

As a supporter of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party - I frequently feel out of place on this forum! Is it compulsory to be a Republican to be able to shoot?

I'd say no. In fact, I've given up on politics all together. I am looking for a lie I can believe in.

Phil, absolutely not! You are a fellow shooter and American. I respect your beliefs because they are yours. You're welcome on my range anytime.

I wonder how acurate that poll is because alot of people don't like to admit they have guns.

If someone on the street were to ask me if I owned guns and how many I don't think I would be honest, especially in CA, you just don't know why they want to know. Am I paranoid?

I've got so damn many blasters floating around that I took out all the bathtubs just to even out the risk factors. I stopped going to the doctor too, so on that basis it looks like I just might live forever. ;)

If a pollster asks me how many guns I own, I will say "more than I need and not as many as I want".

Poll data can be manipulated to prove any point of view. They are only a scientific representation of the people contacted. If you are out earning money to buy more guns, then you didn't participate in the poll. If you are out shooting one or more of your guns, then you didn't participate in the poll. If you have a basic mistrust for anyone calling you and asking you questions, then you didn't participate in the poll. These results actually seem more accurate from my perspective than I would have thought.

PhilTerry, you are not out of place, however, a majority of elected officials and bigwigs in your party kind of ruin it for the rest of you on the gun issue alone.