Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am just asking what has been done in other matches, particularly for shotgun. If up to me, I would probably score a failure to spin as 2 misses on steel. I would put a shooting box 10-15 yrds from the spinner and limit to 7.5 shot. So 3 decent hits should spin it. We had one at Rockcastle shotgun last yr but I don't remember the details. (It was dark when I shot it.)

I think it is a reasonable target for birdshot/shotgun. too many skill and safety issues for rifle and pistol IMHO.

30, 45 or 60 - is the most common I see.. regardless of rifle/pistol/shotgun

20 yards seems to be about normal with Shotgun

10-15 for pistol

100-125 for rifle,, but I've seen them further at Iron man

Restrictions for shot.. I've seen max #6, which brought out Prairie Storms shells (in 2 3/4 or 4).. then that got relaxed since the PS was harder on the targets than 00 buck.. this year their rule is: "max shot size of 6 and a max speed of 1350FPS"

30, 45 or 60 - is the most common I see.. regardless of rifle/pistol/shotgun

20 yards seems to be about normal with Shotgun

10-15 for pistol

100-125 for rifle,, but I've seen them further at Iron man

Restrictions for shot.. I've seen max #6, which brought out Prairie Storms shells (in 2 3/4 or 4).. then that got relaxed since the PS was harder on the targets than 00 buck.. this year their rule is: "max shot size of 6 and a max speed of 1350FPS"

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=179

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=191

The last one is only 1210 fps, but I'm guessing that 1 7/8 oz of lead will do well

Edited by gose

The match I shot yesterday was 15 sec.

Spinners were maybe 5-7 yards and #6 was not allowed.

I had a tough time with Fed bulk 7.5 shot.

The guys nailing it one shot were using Rem high brass 3 inch 7.5 shot.

I learned a lot being my first time to shoot spinners newb that I am.

Edited by Willz

• 2 months later...

60 seconds at our local 3g match. Your score is doa if you do not get a spin. There are a couple of techniques used to get it to spin - hit the top plate first because the target is static and then blast the bottom plate when it is at its greatest velocity on the down swing. This usually results in a spin. The second technique is to hit the bottom target because its bigger and you have a greater chance of getting more pellets on the targets and therefore energy transfer. Finished up with a blast to the top target on the back swing. And the third technique is to use a power load. One well placed shot will get a spin. The size of choke is key to getting a spin with bird shot. Tighter is better however choosing a choke wisely is needed for the other targets found on the stage.

We do it a bit different, if you can't spin it you have to ground a safe gun, run down and spin the spinner by hand, run back and retrieve your gun and continue on with the stage.

We do it a bit different, if you can't spin it you have to ground a safe gun, run down and spin the spinner by hand, run back and retrieve your gun and continue on with the stage.

Do you allow reholster instead of grounding or is that prohibited in the stage brief.

Damn...But our Union prohibits it if you are not qualified...

We insist on 2 shots or you get a FTE and a 30 second for Failure to Spin. We put the spinner for pistol at a safe distance of ~8 yards so minor pistol ammo doesn't hold you at to bad of a disadvantage and 12 yards for the SG. The target is a very good target but if you have not shot it before you might be in for a rude lesson. Using it as a practice target for rifle is fun...and our match spinner for rifle is at a minimum distance of 100 yards. It is a very good skill builder IMHO.

#6 or smaller and no PStorm ammo.

Hope this helps...

What a wonderful world it would be if everyone would take a deep breath, relax and take time out from their busy stage to shoot a spinner.......wonderful self-control builder...

WOOOOOOSAAAAAA......

WOOOOOOSAAAAAA......

ericm (sarcastically bringing you the sound of a clear babbling mountain brook.....)

We put the spinner for pistol at a safe distance of ~8 yards...and 12 yards for the SG...rifle is at a minimum distance of 100 yards. It is a very good skill builder IMHO.

While I generally agree with you, 8 yards, IMHO, is not a safe distance for a good number of shooters, especially ones new to the target. Skilled shooters that know the sequence and can deliver the shot at the right points is no big deal. However, with pistol, this target does create a large amount of ricochets in all kinds of conditions. After setting it up with a HS camera and shooting it at various distances and timing that was not optimum, I will no longer allow it to be used for pistol at any distance at our matches, and am cautious with rifle

You would have hated it at USCA "Carbine" Match in Florida last year. Was in the side yard of a shed, had to spin it before going in the shoot house door. Not sure if it was MGM but it was pretty close, some guys got really hung up on it. I think it took 2, maybe three hits with 77gr. Got a feel for shooting it from watching previous squad. Digging around for a picture. Didn't know that was too close.

Most .223 bullets "explode" on steel and, contrary to popular opinion, are actually safer at close distance than handgun rounds. However, the "safe" distance for rifle steel is so we don't tear up the targets, especially with .308s. The circular disk in which all sizeable fragments will land with a rifle is easier to predict, and smaller than with moderate velocity fmjs. Some of the heavy jacket, hollow point, soft lead core pistol bullets are downright dangerous on steel with even a pock mark, slightly uneven surface or set at an angle other than for a perpendicular bullet strike. Get that type of bullet moving at the right velocity and hitting a variable target face...not a good idea.

Edited by MarkCO

We use 60 second failure to spin, any less and there are those that won't try. This is a great skill builder and we want folks to commit to it. As far as the shot size we were going back and forth about it because we run 3 Gun Nation rule set and it states 6 shot but nothing about velocities, which allows crazy rounds that damage targets. We stayed with that rule so they can use anything 6 shot or smaller BUT if they knock the target down it is a failure to spin.