Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Limited Division options

I know many of the resident gurus on the forum have more knowledge and experience with different Tanfo models. How would a Stock III in .40 stack up with a Limited in 9mm for USPSA Limited division? I only shoot production now and I guess one could load .40 minor if wanted but want a gun for Limited in future. Could load 9mm major out of a Tanfo Limited as well also. Does anyone have input on using a Stock III in .40 for Limited? Thanks in advance

Sent from my flux capacitor

If I understand the question(s) correctly you have a Tanfo Stock III gun you use for Production and want to explore setting up another tanfo gun to use for Limited.

First off, in limited you have to have use a .40 or larger at >165pf for major scoring.

So, by running a 9mm in limited you would be handicapping yourself a little by shooting minor, but you would be able to hold a few more 9mm rounds in the 140mm mags.

I don't have any first hand experience with a Stock III, but if you already have one and like using it you may be able to get a .40 top end for it to use in Limited and load to major. This is basically what I am setting up to do on a tanfo elite open gun frame. I'm not a limited shooter, but would like to play in that division on occasion so that was a cost effective way to get there.

Other Tanfo-ites like KneelingAtlas or Nealio will probably know the real answer for you.

I have a Stock I and Stock II in 9mm right now. I am wanting another tanfo because they are addictive and I have a choice between a Limited in 9mm or a Stock III in .40 caliber. I really love the Stock II platform and have heard the Stock III is just as great. So wondering would going with a Stock III in .40 for a Limited division gun would be wise or going with a Tanfo Limited loading 9mm major would be a better option or if one can't go wrong either route. Hope that makes sense.

9mm is not legal for major in Limited division. It doesn't matter how faster you push the bullet. The rules state that the minimum diameter bullet for major scoring in Limited division is .40.

If you like Tangfolio pistols the Stock III in .40 would be my choice of the two for Limited division.

A Stock III .40 would make an awesome Limited gun; the sight radius is the same as the Limited, the dust cover is heavier and the DA trigger is a non issue because the SA trigger in the Limited sucks out of the box so you're going to overhaul the trigger either way.

I vote for Stock III in 40 as well. Which Tanfo are you running in production now?

Stock II in production with Stock I as a backup. I've heard that .40 minor shoots softer than I would've thought so I think there is much that can be done with just one gun. Plus I have a Tanfo addiction I think too:-)

Andy be careful. To date all the 40 stock 3's imported were small frame. Small frame 40 sucks

Some would say the stock 3 is muzzle heavy cause of the rail

Single action is never gonna be as good on a da/sa as compared to a sa only gun

Get a dedicated limited gun. Need one?

Jim

I shoot stock II for Production as well, but I bought a separate Limited 40 to play in Limited Div. Jim B nailed it perfect, SA only is better than DA/SA. Unless you will convert a stock III to SA which would defeat the purpose if you want to play it both, Lim and Prod. With the going prices now of Stock III, maybe you'll find a better deal with a Witness Limited.

Whats the issue with small frame .40s for production? I didnt think there was any issue with mags or anything. I know it limits the ability to use the same platform for limited effectively but thats all I can think of.

Andy be careful. To date all the 40 stock 3's imported were small frame. Small frame 40 sucks

Jim

If you're not a GM or M minor PF is fine. You're making too many mistakes other places for it to matter.

Do what????

Sorry, but that is terrible advice.

Your transitions and reloads need some work, so giving up a bunch points to your competition won't matter.... Huh??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim

Thanks for the input Jim. I have already made a deal and being that Stock anything in 9mm seems impossible I'm looking forward to this stock III. I just am not liking the weight of my Stock I vs II, feels too light, the Limited was a good feeling gun.

If you're not a GM or M minor PF is fine. You're making too many mistakes other places for it to matter.

Do what????

Your transitions and reloads need some work, so giving up a bunch points to your competition won't matter.... Huh??

do you understand how USPSA is scored? Its 'hit factor" not points... And if you're shooting that many C'd and D's to make a difference between major and minor, then maybe you need to work on your accuracy.

Edited by Nealio

major vs minor is a tough call. at the end of the day, if you can shoot alphas faster with a minor gun you should probably be shooting minor. A hits are still 5 points regardless of major or minor. if you find you hit more C's with a major gun (in the same time) then you are still getting a lower hit factor than you would with a minor gun.

I have a great example of this. a guy I shoot with. solid A grade shooter. shoots major limited (well we call it standard in ISPC) with a STI Edge in .357sig. he has an identical edge in 9mm. recently is sig gun cracked the slide and was out of action for a while. he picked up his 9mm. since he was able to shoot his second shots faster his times went down a little. and his accuracy was a little better so score went up a little. overall HF was up. an A in minor still beats a C in major.....

in places with 10 round mags major does get a decent advantage since capacity is the same. in places with 140mm mags it's a tougher call. reduced capacity, but higher peripheral hit points. it's an individual call.

back to the OP. if you want to shoot a limited tanfog you are probably better off getting the right tool for the job rather than the stock III which is purpose built for production.

Get the limited custom or whatever it's called in the US.

this one:

Limited_Custom_hardchrome2.jpg

GK-LimitedCustom-3D.jpg

it has a few benefits. it has the cone lockup bull barrel (like your stock II) vs the regular 'match' barrel in the stock III.

it has a lightened slide

it has drilled and tapped holes in the frame so you can easily mount a *thumb rest [generic]*/thumb rest or later on a scope if you go open.

it comes with a SA trigger vs the DA/SA on the S3.

it comes with a nicer controls like the 1911 style safety which since you'll be starting cocked and locked is important. much easier to operate than the S3 safety and wider for your thumb too.

it comes with a fairly decent mag well

If you ever decide to go open it already has the same slide as the V12 eric custom (well it has a dovetail for the front sight, but otherwise the slide cuts are the same). so all you need is barrel+ comp and have it all set-up and timed. plus a scope mount and a scope. bingo, open gun. :)

I'm not sure on US pricing but a stock 3 special is only a few hundred less than a limited custom HC. it will be a better limited gun I think.

Do what????

do you understand how USPSA is scored? Its 'hit factor" not points... And if you're shooting that many C'd and D's to make a difference between major and minor, then maybe you need to work on your accuracy.

I just googled this "hit factor" you referred to... I feel so enlightened now!

If you shoot ONE C, there is a difference in minor and major. Do you understand that USPSA is a competitive sport? I try to not making a habit of voluntarily handicapping myself when I'm trying to win a competition.

By your logic, no one should be using a magwell either.

Can someone post pics of their limited setups...i'm considering going that route.

As i see it I could be 1500 into a good limited gun with everything i need instead of 2200 to 4000 for a full custom job. And i think that bit of savings would be good for a primary or even a back up gun.

I just googled this "hit factor" you referred to... I feel so enlightened now!

If you shoot ONE C, there is a difference in minor and major.

All i'm saying is that shooting minor isn't the big of a deal that people make it out to be. If people actually thought about it (which nobody does) they would understand.