Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

match checking ammo for power factor

South Carolina in 2002, they chrono'd some but not all. I know, I was one from my squad to get to make the trip. I made PF, but that is not always automatic with me. I made it yesterday at Ohio at 165.9. Chrono was my best stage yesterday.

Club matches do not routinely check PF. They will on occasion set up a chrono stage especially if some form of a major is coming up. Most level II and above matches will have a chrono stage. It is a chrono stage where they will check the guns safeties, sizes, and weights. They will also check your magazines for compliance, and then fire rounds across the chrono to check PF.

Great info, if at a large match do they have a Chrono set up "pre match" so you can check your ammo?

That is supposed to be done before you go to the match. Your ammo used at every match you shoot is supposed to make the declared power factor. Not just at majors.

Great info, if at a large match do they have a Chrono set up "pre match" so you can check your ammo?

Most people check it well before the match date comes up. Minor requires a 125 PF and Major a 165 PF. Most people play it safe and load to a 130 to 135 for Minor and a 170 to 175 for major. That way if Murphy comes into play and the chrono station grabs your 8 bullets with the lightest bullets and the lightest powder charges and shoots them across the chrono which is reading slow for that time period... You still have enough cushion to make PF.

Most people check it well before the match date comes up. Minor requires a 125 PF and Major a 165 PF. Most people play it safe and load to a 130 to 135 for Minor and a 170 to 175 for major. That way if Murphy comes into play and the chrono station grabs your 8 bullets with the lightest bullets and the lightest powder charges and shoots them across the chrono which is reading slow for that time period... You still have enough cushion to make PF.

Thanks Mike!

Club matches do not check PF. The only time I have seen PF checked is at major matches

South Carolina in 2002, they chrono'd some but not all. I know, I was one from my squad to get to make the trip. I made PF, but that is not always automatic with me. I made it yesterday at Ohio at 165.9. Chrono was my best stage yesterday.

Chrono is recommended for level 1 & 2 matches. It is REQUIRED for level 3 and nationals.

SS Nat'l would do a chrono check for you the day before you shot. Couple of guys in my squad had theirs checked on Fri. shot on Sat. Yes they did chrono and check their guns on Sat also.

I recently shot the Area-1 match which was my first Level-III. At our first stage they took 8 rounds from each person. Stage #5 of the match was the Chrono station. They pulled and weighed one round to confirm bullet weight and then fired three rounds across the Chrono. All match participants had to complete the process.

I recently shot the Area-1 match which was my first Level-III. At our first stage they took 8 rounds from each person. Stage #5 of the match was the Chrono station. They pulled and weighed one round to confirm bullet weight and then fired three rounds across the Chrono. All match participants had to complete the process.

their scale was off by 4-5 grains when our squad came to chrno. The chrono they were using seemed goofy also compared to what what i had referenced on 2 different chronos at home.

their scale was off by 4-5 grains when our squad came to chrno. The chrono they were using seemed goofy also compared to what what i had referenced on 2 different chronos at home.

you should ask for the scale to be checked with the check weight or weigh on the backup scale

Scales must be shielded from the wind to prevent errors in measurement
while weighing competitor bullets.
Two scales are recommended when available, weighing each bullet tested
on both scales.
Whenever possible, the scale(s) should be run on AC power. If using gener
-
ator power, the scale readings must be monitored for consist
ency. If using
battery power, the batteries must be changed or recharged as necessary to
insure consistent results
A set of appropriate check weights must be used in calibrating the scale(s).
Failing these conditions, or if a scale is not available, each c
ompetitor’s
declared bullet weight must be used.
If a division as listed in Appendix D requires weighing of a handgun, the
same procedure as above will be followed.
Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

i can't complain too much as the weight was in our favor. But i am a person that likes fairness and equality in the game reguardless of if its good or bad in my favor. Now my buddy, if the bullets he were using was the correct weight, he would have went minor. He was that close.

SS Nat'l would do a chrono check for you the day before you shot. Couple of guys in my squad had theirs checked on Fri. shot on Sat. Yes they did chrono and check their guns on Sat also.

What good would chronoing your ammo the day before do? Kind of late to fix anything at that point,no?

Our squad had the same scale results. I was shooting MG 147gr CMJ's which are known for consistency. At home I weigh 50 bullets and the ranged from 147-147.2. At Area-1 I was 150.8. My PF at home is 130-131. Up there I was 137 (minor).

A few years ago, when I was a regular at USPSA matches, the only times I ever ran across chrono was in area matches and then it was a "stage" in the match. Ok, not really a stage but scheduled in with the stages.

A few years ago, when I was a regular at USPSA matches, the only times I ever ran across chrono was in area matches and then it was a "stage" in the match. Ok, not really a stage but scheduled in with the stages.

Every state/section level II match I've ever been to has required chrono. It's not required per the rules, but just about every match outside of a level I club match does it.

Area and Nationals for sure. Have never failed to make my declared power factor, but I still do not believe it is a good system. I'd like to see the new doppler systems adopted at Nationals, over several stages. Equipment and gun checks should be done at check-in and just delete the chrono stage.

Haven't been to a ton of level II and III matches but every one had a chrono. However, bullets were never pulled unless you got down to your last round and had failed to make PF. At that point you were offered a choice of shoot the last round or have the bullet pulled and weighed with the actual scale weight used ..... Ask me how I know this .... :)

I've been to several level 2 matches that did not chrono.

so have I. sometimes just the threat of it keeps people honest. :surprise:

Sorry, had to laugh at the irony of such a post by a guy with the screen name of Sandbagger123. :)

Cheaters gonna cheat, those with integrity do so regardless of the "threat".

I've been to several level 2 matches that did not chrono.

so have I. sometimes just the threat of it keeps people honest. :surprise:

Sorry, had to laugh at the irony of such a post by a guy with the screen name of Sandbagger123. :)

Cheaters gonna cheat, those with integrity do so regardless of the "threat".

Yep and a few will get caught because they have 3 methods of collecting your ammo. They will collect 8 at the first stage and then:

1. Shoot the ammo collected.

2. Shoot ammo that you have in your ammo bag when you arrive at the station.

3. Grab a mag off your belt and shoot what is in it.

So anyone that tries to cheat the system by handing in hotter loads or slightly heavier bullets with the initial collection still will get caught if they use either method 2 or 3. I have seen stations where they used all 3.