Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 slide drops when new mag is seated after slide lock

DRichardson

I had something new happen during a match this morning. The gun is a STI trojan in 40 and mags are Tripp Corey system mags. I went to planned slide lock 3 times and when I inserted the mag the slammed it home the slide automatically dropped and chambered a round. My cz will do this and has never been a issue, it is great with me but it worries me that it just started to happen out of nowhere. Is this a sign that something is wearing and on the verge of failure? Or just caused by me being more agreesive with my reloads?

Thanks for any help.

That happens with my Glock (17) and when I am shooting in a match, I don't mind. But....it only happens with certain mags. So....my point is start by looking at your magazines. Next maybe look a your slide stop. It might not be engaging all the way and the violence of seating a new mag is enough to let the slide go.

Like I said it perfectly fine with me that it does it, it just worries me that is started all of a sudden. I hope it keeps doing it. But the gun has 5000 or so round through it and has never done it before, just made me wonder if something is on the verge of being worn out or breaking. Just pulled it apart and nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I guess I'll just run it.

Other than your recoil spring starting to get a little weaker, assuming it's the original one after 5,000 rounds, this is something most of us try to do. And I say the recoil spring, only because I have a Kimber that did it all the time. Now I finally replaced the recoil spring after several thousand rounds, and it only does it on occasion. I really have to slam in the mags hard now for it to happen.

Shoot a magazine thru your pistol and then look at the slide stop and see how far it is engaged in the slide notch. It should be all the way up in the notch and you shouldn't be able to push it up any higher. If it's barely hanging onto the slide it will get jarred out and the slide will go forward when you slam a mag in. Eventually it won't lock back at all so even thou it's nice for the slide to go forward on it's own if it fails to lock back a few times it could cost more time than it's worth. The ledge on the magazine followers getting worn down or possibly weak magazine springs is usually the cause if it's barely locking the slide.

Edited by Ross Carter

I tried it the other night. I manually locked the gun back and verified the stop was all the way up in the notch. It took a pretty solid hit but it would drop the slide just by hitting my hand on the magwell. I threw a slide stop in on another order I was making so I'll try it, worst case scenario I'll have a backup.

That happens with my Glock (17) and when I am shooting in a match, I don't mind. But....it only happens with certain mags. So....my point is start by looking at your magazines. Next maybe look a your slide stop. It might not be engaging all the way and the violence of seating a new mag is enough to let the slide go.

I can get all my Glocks to do this and initially it would chamber a round.

Lately it has not been chambering a round, maybe a sign my mag springs may be a bit weak. Not sure.

At any rate it's not reliable in a match and I've ejected the occasional live round as a result.

Edited by Willz