Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's start a new thread on loading 40

bigarm

I felt like I might be hijacking someone else's thread, so I think I should start one of my own. I want to load 40 s&w to make major for an STI Brazos High Performance Edge. I think I want to use molycoated bullets, either Precision 185 or maybe the new 200 grain no lube ring bullets from Blue Bullets. I will be using a Dillon 550. I have no dies for 40. Which dies should I get? Dillon? Others? I have heard the Lee factory crimp die is good. But is that needed only if you are loading for Glocks? Or all? What if you buy once fired brass? Is there a good reason to use 185 or 200 grain bullets or does it make a difference? Moly coated bullets seem a little cheaper than fmj. Any reason not to use them? Any thing else you think important? I would like to buy dies just once and would prefer to pick one bullet that will make major and stay with it if possible. I don't mind doing the reloading, but would rather do it to save money to shoot more, not really as a hobby. Thanks.

Buy all Dillon dies except for the full length resizing decap die. Get a Lee U die from EGW. This has worked and will work.

On Bullet selection, I lean towards a coated lead (Bayou Bullets)180 grain. They are cheaper than CMJ and take less powder to make major.

Get a pack of 500 200 grain and see for yourself if you like them.

Redding comp dies were recommended to me. I love them, wish I would have known about them sooner.

I use BBI 180gr moly coated bullets. They are the only bullets I've put through my 2011 and will continue to do so.

I just started loading .40 major this year and shooting it from a XDM 5.25 I also load with a dillon 550. I use dillon dies and the work great. I started with a lee factory crimp die but had bad results with a bayou 180 bullet. After doing some research I found that the lee fcd is not recommended for moly bullets. Switched to dillon taper crimp and accuracy was great. My load is 4.6 of n320 at a 1.135 oal. From what I gather out of a 2011 style sti you would load longer and need a little more powder to make major.

I like Lee 4 die set. The Lee sizes down closer to the extraction groove than Dillon dies. Lee makes EGW's U die. If you have a tight chamber, you may need the U die. I've been using the SNS Casting 180 gr. coated with whatever usable powder I can scrounge. Most recently Unique & Universal. I use small rifle primers, but pistol primers will work. Long loaded out to 1.18 to 1.2" will feed in the Edge well.

I looked up the SNS coated bullets. I see they have a lube ring. Does that interfere with the loading process, since I assume they are not lubed. Sorry for all the questions, but I have heard that 40's are trickier to load than others and you have to be careful with the pressure. Maybe I am making a bigger deal of it than it really is.

Edited by bigarm

I load the SNS coated bullets, they have a beveled base that helps to expedite the reloading process. The lube ring has no effect. I have been very satisfied with all of my dealings with SNS. I have also dealt with Bayou bullets and they are also top notch. Either of them will provide you with excellent customer service. Advantages of the coated bullet over the moly include less smoke and not getting the crap all over your hands. The 200 grain bullet will allow you to make major with less perceived recoil. I load all of my bullets at 1.170 for my Para 40. I use the Lee 4 die set in my Dillon 550, and I am totally satisfied with it. The collet arrangement on the sizing die has saved me from replacing numerous de-capping pins, and the FCD ensures that all of my rounds fit in my Dillon case gauge and more importantly in my guns chamber.

Edited by Frank48

I load 180gr Ibejiheads coated bullets, which are similar to Bayou, with the EGW U die and Dillon seat and crimp dies. There is no need to buy a set of Dillon dies if you will not use the sizing die. You can save a few dollars by purchasing the seat and crimp die individually.

The EGW U die is often referenced here to take care of bulged .40 brass (which may or may not be common now)

Search is your friend. This forum has a wealth of information for reloading .40.

Edited by earthshine402

Dillon dies are fine, you don't need special dies. I use redding but I've used dillon and there is very little difference. The reddings are nice because they are much easier to adjust but also way more expensive. Get whatever you can find a good deal on, they will work for all of your guns in 40. All I buy is once fired brass, it's fine, never an issue. ever. You may or may not notice a difference between 185s and 200s. It will depend on the powder you use. FMJs are much more expensive and won't make your gun as dirty, probably not worth the money. Also, no one really makes a reasonably priced 200fmj. Personally, I don't like the feel of the FMJs. I would suggest the 200s. Bayou has the highest quality moly coat in my opinion but I prefer BBIs, they have more like a poly coat. I've never used their 200s but I love their 165s and I can only assume they use the same coating. Lube ring doesn't matter as long as you don't crimp too close to it. The 200s like being loaded as long as possible, they felt the best for me at ~1.215 with 4.4wst

Edited by Russellhjoy

In 40.. Over time, starting with a full Dillon Set on my 1050, I only use the Dillon crimp die now.. a Redding Comp seater (just so much easier to change OAL for different pistols), and the Lee 'U' die to size

I just tried a 1.145 oal and it shot fine out of my glock and STi. Also tried 1.18 for the sti and it work fine too. Longer OAL doesn't seem necessary out of my sti...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I just tried a 1.145 oal and it shot fine out of my glock and STi. Also tried 1.18 for the sti and it work fine too. Longer OAL doesn't seem necessary out of my sti...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Same here. never had an issue with using standard length rounds through my STI. I still load them to 1.18 for my StI though just for the heck of it. i use Lee dies and have had no issues with them. i also use the FCD i have never had round fail to chamber except when the OAL or primer problems. In fact i don't even own a case gauge.

I like Lee 4 die set. The Lee sizes down closer to the extraction groove than Dillon dies.

i use Lee dies and have had no issues with them. i also use the FCD i have never had round fail to chamber except when the OAL or primer problems. In fact i don't even own a case gauge.

I totally agree with these statements. I have other brands of dies and use them so I am not partial towards Lee but some of their stuff is superior. As for the FCD, I use them for my 40 and 45 as it gives me more reliable feeding. Proper adjustment and properly sized bullets is the key. And I am very happy with the SNS coated bullets. Hardly cast my own any more, these coated bullets are just too good...

Lee 4 die set.

Dillon 550

WST 200

WSF or SR4756 180

titegroup 180's jacketed

I use a Redding RX die on all the brass I buy "once fired" before it ever sees the dillon. It's a peace of mind thing for me.

Load to 1.190 200gr, 180 gr lead bayou's or SnS coated (same coating) different color

Load 1.185 180 MG or HAP jacketed

They run out of a STI Eagle, Para 16-40 and a custom 1911 40S&W

I run dillon dies for my 38 Super Comp and 45 acp, Lee for my 9mm and 40 S&W didn't want to wait for dillon so bought them at a LGS when I went to 38sc and 40 S&W. I've had no problems with the Lee FCD and plain lead or coated lead bullets

Good Fortune with your loads and shooting

Dillon 650

Ramshot Competition Powder

Small Rifle or Pistol Primers Brand don't matter

Redding Push Thru Die

Dillon Die Set

USPSA STI Single Stack 40. 4.0 Grains, at 1.185

XDM 5.25 40 Cal 4.2grns at 1.135

All my Pistols I use Black Bullets International (BBI) in my .40's I'm running 200grn bullets and love them

I would be more then happy to share my EXCEL Load spreadsheet if a MODERATOR can post it so it looks correct.

I DON"T FEEL LIKE EMAILING THE WHOLE PLANET

40 S@W is where the Lee U die shines, seen several S-I as well as custom built pistols with a tight chamber start running just by going to the U die. I like Lee's seating die also but replace the insert with a flat one made by a local machine shop. Pushes on the nose of the bullet instead of the sides so OAL stays tight. For 40 S@W STI guns I would load long 1.220 is the OAL that my guns run the best. Don't care for Lee's locking nuts and would order a set of Dillon 1 inch nuts. The U die will size tighter and I put the powder funnel in a drill press and polished it till a sized piece of brass would just slip over the funnel. Spend a little time setting your dies and you'll get good results.

Don't care what the box says lube case. Makes the whole process easier on the dies, brass, press and the operator. 30 min. back in the tumbler will get the lube off just a little goes a long way.

Put a little powdered graphite on the primer slide you can find it in the lock dept at any hardwear store or Wal Mart.

Main reason to reload is quality ammo second is cost savings.

I was in the same boat as you, I wanted to load for my 40 because my Edge runs better on ammo loaded longer than factory specs. I use LEE reloading dies including the factory crimp die. I use range pickup brass some of which is glock fired so I also have a press setup for the Redding GRX that I run all of my brass through to remove any bulges. As far as bullets I have used Blue Bulltes 180gr. TC and Bayou 180s and both perform very well. I like the coated bullets I am making 172 PF and doing it with less powder than would be required to get the same PF with a jacketed bullet, I also have not had any issues with leading or poor accuracy from either brand of coated bullets.

I had a very good email conversation with Chandler from Black Bullets International. Now, I have never bought anything from them, so if he takes this much time with someone that hasn't purchased from them, his customer service for returning customers must be wonderful. I appreciate everything all the information given and have learned a great deal. Little confused on the dies yet (as well as other things), but think I am getting close to being able to get started.

I had a very good email conversation with Chandler from Black Bullets International. Now, I have never bought anything from them, so if he takes this much time with someone that hasn't purchased from them, his customer service for returning customers must be wonderful. I appreciate everything all the information given and have learned a great deal. Little confused on the dies yet (as well as other things), but think I am getting close to being able to get started.

My 1st post in this thread (2nd one down). Chandler is the one that recommended the Redding comp dies to me. I have bought many bullets from BBI and will continue to do so. Super speedy fast service and a great product. When I got my limited gun I was having some problems with it. Chandler told me to call him because he had some ideas for me to try. Yes I was using BBI bullets when the problems occurred but it had nothing to do with the bullets. He steeped up and helped a brother out. That is the kind of business I will continue to give my money too.