Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a mistake in Rule 8.5.1?

acpie360

8.5.1 Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets, all movement (see Appendix A3) must be accomplished with the fingers visibly outside the trigger guard and the safety should be engaged. The handgun must be pointed in a safe direction.

Just wondering...

It is a suggestion... and you can not "engage" a target through a wall, Snow fence or other... big issue and hard to call when running a shooter.

Sure you can. You just don't get the hits since the walls are impenetrable.

Agreed, the OP was only asking about the wording on the rule about the safety, I was just pointing out how hard it is as an RO to call things like that or the instance where someone is "engaging" targets through a "Snow fence" vision barrier.

But it brings up the point is the vision barrier is supposed to be just that a barrier to your vision and you "can't see" the target, if you are on the move with the gun up and finger on the trigger tracking the target is that not a violation of 8.5.1?

8.5.1 Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets, all movement (see Appendix A3) must be accomplished with the fingers visibly outside the trigger guard and the safety should be engaged. The handgun must be pointed in a safe direction.

Just wondering...

It's been that way as far back as I can remember, and I've been in this since 1986. They can't make you put on the thumb safety under pain of penalty or DQ as (just speculating here) the RO can't reliably tell 100% whether it's on or not when you're running hell bent for leather to the next shooting position.