Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Polish Revolver Trigger?

Luv2rideWV

I'm just wondering what are the advantages of polishing or reshaping the trigger on a revolver. I'm not having any issues with discomfort or anything when I shoot my 625, but I'm curious. Also, do you leave the metal in the white or apply cold blue after doing such a thing? Is this only something done to remove serrations from a trigger?

See picture below to clarify what I'm talking about:

trigger-job-cover.jpg
Edited by Luv2rideWV

I polished every where there was metal to metal contact under the cover. You will be surprised how much smoother it will make your trigger pull.

Sorry UFO, I may not have been real clear. It was the part of the trigger where it makes contact with the finger that I was talking about polishing. I have seen and heard of people polishing or even reshaping this area. It looks pretty, but I wondered what were the supposed benefits of such a thing.

Jerry Miculek once stated he likes the serrations, I have them on my 625. Conventional wisdom has been that the smooth trigger lets your finger roll across the trigger and not cause any inadvertent motions. I have that on my 627. Have to say I shoot and like the action on my 627 better.

I have used both and ultimately settled on the trigger that gets put in 327's. Its polished face and slightly wider I think, very comfortable and the wider face makes the trigger feel a little lighter imo.

Sorry UFO, I may not have been real clear. It was the part of the trigger where it makes contact with the finger that I was talking about polishing. I have seen and heard of people polishing or even reshaping this area. It looks pretty, but I wondered what were the supposed benefits of such a thing.

Guess I should have read it a bit closer, but, that being said, I think it's a great idea and I plan to pull the trigger out and try it.

Guess I should have read it a bit closer, but, that being said, I think it's a great idea and I plan to pull the trigger out and try it.

Yea, I was wanting to try it, too, but hate taking apart my revolvers any more than necessary. The above posts seem to indicate it is a comfort or preference issue. I asked to see if there be any kind of definitive answer.

A local gun shop had the Gunsmoke edition S&W 442 (action job, lighter springs, polished trigger, grips with a pants grip). The trigger on that 442 felt real nice, but the question is, "Does that feeling equate to any sort of advantage?" After trying that trigger, I started thinking about doing that to my 625's trigger.

Maybe it is a cosmetic thing? Makes me wonder if it is worth doing. How many top-level revolver competitors do that to their guns?

I was actually thinking of polishing the one on my 625 as I like the feel of it on my new 627. I'll do it at the end of the season when I take the gun down for a complete detail.

Edited by apf383

It all comes down to the same answer as the Boxers or Briefs question. What is more comfortable for you.

Before my hand went totally bad, I preferred .400 wide serrated triggers and still have a couple just in case I finally get my hand fixed and can shoot revolvers again.

The serrations allow me to feel the trigger where I cannot feel a smooth trigger at all.

I went through Wide Serrated, Narrow Serrated and Smooth on my M29. I came back to the Wide Serrated and like them on that gun, makes the pull a bit lighter feeling. Have a Narrow Serrated on my PC 625 and may swap it back out for a Smooth next winter (it's my back up now loaded with minor loads). My favorite is the trigger that came with the PC 627, it's a smooth with a pinned over travel stop that doesn't really do anything unless fired SA.

As others have said, it's a personal preference. I prefer the wide smooth trigger, my favorite is the .400 smooth that came on my 610. When my 625 gets detail stripped next time the serrations are coming off. Especially with the major loads the smooth just feels nicer to me.

I have a Mr. Carmoney Dremel special on my 627 super. Polished, reshaped a bit, and a more effective trigger stop. Really like it. I feel the smoothness allows an easier adjustment if I get a funky finger placement on draw or after a reload.

So briefs... No, wait, boxers I guess... :huh:

Some like the serrations.

I prefer smooth, and nicely contoured with my trusty Dremel.

I have a Mr. Carmoney Dremel special on my 627 super. Polished, reshaped a bit, and a more effective trigger stop. Really like it. I feel the smoothness allows an easier adjustment if I get a funky finger placement on draw or after a reload.

So briefs... No, wait, boxers I guess... :huh:

Can I have a picture of the "Mr. Carmoney Dremel Special?" I would like to see how its done so I don't mess mine up.

Luv2ride, I've never posted a picture on here before but I can try. And perhaps Mike C. may have a picture of an example of his carmonizing work on a trigger. Now, where's that POS phone of mine?...

Luv2ride, I've never posted a picture on here before but I can try. And perhaps Mike C. may have a picture of an example of his carmonizing work on a trigger. Now, where's that POS phone of mine?...

Much appreciated

I tried the. 325 smooth triggers and they seem ok, but a little narrow Then i tried a smooth. 500 too wide for me. Then i tried a ribbed .325, and decided ribs are better on a plate with beer.

I then tried a .400 smooth and fell in love. All my competition revolvers and hunting revolvers have. 400 smooth triggers on them. A couple of the 25-2 and 646 s are still at factory configuration. The 25-2s that are competition guns had .500 wide ribbed when l got them. Got new .500 wide ribbed ones and dremeled them to. 400 smooth and kept the original triggers in case i put the guns back to factory specs.

When the dust clears it really all boils down to personal preferance. Oh, and l made the. 500 ribbed to match a factory. 400 smooth then reblued with a little drop of oil every now and then to prevent rust.

But what do i know? I'm just a dummy that shoots!!!!!!!!

Hopalong

I favor serrated triggers. I also have a few smooth triggers lying around that I swapped out for serrated. If anybody wants to trade a serrated trigger for a smooth one, let me know.

I favor serrated triggers. I also have a few smooth triggers lying around that I swapped out for serrated. If anybody wants to trade a serrated trigger for a smooth one, let me know.

id be game for that one.

sending pm

I then tried a .400 smooth and fell in love. All my competition revolvers and hunting revolvers have. 400 smooth triggers on them.

When the dust clears it really all boils down to personal preferance.

+1

All my S&W revolvers have the .400 smooth triggers. Been using them for more years than I care to admit...