Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shallow dents in loaded primers - novice with 550

My first run with the new 550: Loading .45 auto in new brass with CCI large pistol primers. I'm noticing an occasional shallow round dent in the primer of newly loaded cartridges. A bit disconcerting, but no 'bangs' as of yet. Primers are seating flush with the case, i.e. not sticking out, nor receding. Dents are usually round, flat (ie. not dimpled like a striker makes), mostly off-center.

I have test fired my first loads and all went according to plan and all performed quite nicely including the dented ones. Just can't understand what might be causing this. Must be my noob technique, but don't know for sure. [image attached]

Any suggestions are welcomed.

post-53203-0-08400100-1399835531_thumb.j

I will have the same thing if I don't watch for debris getting in the primer cup. I blow out the primer area with lite air pressure either from my small air compressor or compressed air can. The debris comes from the primer pocket when depriming.

Thanks for the insights!

Can't be from deprime, though, since these are new cases. However, I will be switching to 9mm this afternoon and those will have spent primers (read: range brass). So good to know, aug1911, I'll be on the lookout.

The "firmly but gently" is probably the key in this case. I'm find fewer as I go along, as I'm becoming more comfortable.

Much appreciated!

Most of the time I find it caused by loose powder getting in the primer cup (as stated as debris above) if you prime with it several times it takes a stiff brush to break it loose before my air compressor will blow it out. Just keep your eye on the priming stem and brush and blow off your shell plate between loading the primer tube.

• 1 month later...

I have found small bits of brass that got sheared off when I seated the primer. It will lay in the primer cup and dent the next primer you seat. Pull the handle a little and the primer cup is easy to clean out with a acid brush.

Get yourself some cheap toothbrushes to keep beside your press. Got 4 from the Dollar Store for.... well, a dollar. Good to have around while loading. Quick, fast, and easy to brush across the plate and primer cup.

If I see this during a reloading session I simply remove the case after I seated the primer, don't advance the shell plate and again push the handle as if you seat a primer while using a toothbrush to clean the empty and popped out primer seat anvil. Reinsert the primed case and advance the shell plate. Carry on.

I use a small chip brush (cheap paint brush) 1 inch wide, I brush off the first station every once in a while. I also brush off the primer feed arm every 200-400 rounds.

I've never had a round fail to go BOOM with those type of impressions.